LCVG

XSN discussion

Robot Monkey

I don't own any XSN titles (I'm surprised that PGR2 isn't an XSN title), so I have a couple questions.

I understand that it's having problems right now, and I wonder if there have been any fixes? I'd like to believe that it will undergo continuous improvement and be good-to-go for the gaming masses by this holiday season.

What are your observations about the service (operational problems aside)? For example, does the XSN pack system in Amped 2 change or improve your gameplay experience?

Obviously, we would all like to see XSN support in more diverse titles (like Crimson Skies, PGR2 or RS3), but so far XSN is MS titles-only. How likely is it that we'll see similar approaches by other publishers on Live (like the PS2 ESPN Football's integration with a web site)?

-j

Auto racing should certainly be on XSN, IMO.

The user interface is lousy. Just unspeakably bad.

A Microsoft exec (can't remember who) said that it would be exclusive to Microsoft-published titles 'at least for now' (paraphrased). So it appears they haven't closed the door to allowing third parties to join in.

The interface is exceptionally horrible on the website. All flash & no reason for it really. It's very obscure. The data/stats you need/want are there, it's just hard to access.

But it definitely shows promise, and I like tracking our "pack" status on Amped2. I can see it being VERY popular for the likes of competitions etc. Official LCVG tournies etc...

Actually, I think I read that Microsoft will never open up XSN, as it is their branded service. Instead, they will open up the web-based extension of XBlive that allows XSN to work. From there, Sega, EA, Ubisoft, etc. can all build their own web-based interface.

At least, that is how I remember it being explained somewhere.

Originally posted by Bryan@Nov 22 2003, 07:06 PM

Xbox Sports Network is for sports, so I do not see the reason to link Crimson Skies or other non-sports titles to it. That would be clan support, IMO.

Well, judging from how certain titles are implemented (or supposed to be!), it seems to me that XSN can and should grow to other genres. The basis is there to provide value-added and a better gaming experience for all kinds of titles.

There really isn't anything fundamentally different between pretend air pirates and pretend snowboarders, right? The "sports" in XSN could refer to online competitive videogaming -- after all some people already consider golf a sport! (;))

Of course, MS (or someone else) could go create another service that fulfils XSN's role for non-sports titles. I'd rather have MS do it, open it up to other publishers and fold everything into XSN. Building on Live's strengths, I want one-stop shopping and a common interface.

-j

Yes, this is long overdue. As several people have said, XSN is just Microsoft's first stab at extending XBlive using web technology. I suspect that they will either (a)create a generic web interface like XSN for ALL developers to hook their games into (all types of genres) or they will (B) allow other developers to create their own. (a) seems to be more consistent with Microsoft's online strategy. (B) seems more like what EA wants. Let's see how it shakes out. It is however unacceptable for Microsoft to do neither (a) or (B)

Originally posted by MrJames@Nov 22 2003, 08:35 PM

MS (or someone else) could go create another service that fulfils XSN's role for non-sports titles

I think a clan support function for squad based games would be an awesome feature. I hope something like this is in the works.

Clan support was supposed to be in Live 2.0...not sure why it was shelved, but it was. Hopefully it will make into Live as I do believe it is their most wanted feature.

My reluctance to see other genres included in XSN could be based on wanting to see it succeed. I'm hoping they will focus on sports for the time being with some critical and financial success. Then, I hope they take that experience and turn it into clan support for the fantastic FPS and team-based games.

I think a clan support function for squad based games would be an awesome feature. I hope something like this is in the works

What gigapower stated is spot on. SOCOM II continues the trend of being the most popular online title - & I think clan support is one of the reasons why. If Halo 2 has clan support similar to what SOCOM has - as well as true 8 vs 8 play - we'd be playing that game until Xbox next released.

As for XSN - it is an awesome tool that will evolve & get better over time. But I don't see MS opening it up to 3rd party publishers. Maybe that will change in the future...