LCVG
Romier S

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

Like Romier, I am considering restarting the game. Unlike him (I think), I am only a few hours in and not quite to level 9. I don't think I have done anything drastically wrong so I may stick with it. I do have 4 perk points to spend but I'm not sure what to put them in. As I think of it, I am leaning towards Heavy Armor as some of the tougher creatures are giving me a challenge. I did just buy a house so I can dump a lot of my inventory there to lighten my load a bit.

Not sure if the price is still the same, but I did order the guide from Amazon last night. It was only $17 or so, though it did have a 1-3 week delay on it. That is fine for me since I don't get to play it that much.

Oh, in that first town (Riverrun?) you have the quest line involving the girl and two suitors. I've finished that and it looks like I can get one of the guys to follow me. Would he be a follower then, able to help me out in battle and such?

My maybe turned into a definitely. The PC version of the game is pissing me off with the constant crashes to the desktop. I get one about every hour or so and they are getting worse as I progress (level 21). So I started up a new character on the 360 and I think I'm sticking to that version for now. Hopefully Beth gets some patches up to get the PC version taken care of. The 360 version isn't anywhere near as pretty but pretty doesn't mean shit if it isn't stable.

Well, the 360 version had a couple dumps to the dashboard after marathon sessions, but otherwise was fine.

I thought about starting over, but there are really no 'wrong' choices and as long as you don't have ten points in ten different skillsets you can quite handily do fine in the long run. I popped a couple into speech before I realized it was largely a worthless skill tree, and one in destruction before I gave up on it, and it didn't really hurt me any. I just narrowed the old focus and went with my current (awesome) build.

I put most of my skills into melee style fighting and heavy armor, but I've had so much fun sneaking and sniping with bows, that I put some into those as well. Kind of ended up with a heavy melee fighter, that's reasonably quiet n sneaky, and proficient with a bow.

I'm at level 31 right now. Finally moved a bit forward with the main graybeard story. Gotta meet someone at an inn. Still have a shitload of optional quests! Seems like as soon as I knock one out, another gets added. Maybe that's the "radiant story" quest generator in action. It's never ending.

Anyone see the archery cheat? There's a character in the game that can teach you archery but can also be recruited, recruit him and pay him to teach you archery, then simply go into his inventory and take the gold back, rinse and repeat.

Heh, you recruit him right in the beginning of the game, too. I still have him walking around with me on the 360 game I recently started.

Yes he's in Riverwood.

I'm having a hell of a time fighting a dragon skeleton at the moment (I'm on some kind of a quest to find a staff or something or other to defeat the what sits at Hogwarts).

Acquired the blade of woe last night. Dagger that absorbs 10 points of health and does 24 base damage? Ya I'll take that please. Fixed it up to legendary which surprisingly doesn't require any ingots. I had no idea daggers could do so much damage. Those critical strike bonuses are huge.

15x, baby! Thieves ftw ;).

Played a chunk of this all weekend, getting my bearings after a few days off. Finished the Companion questline; it was pretty awesome and it actually changed the world around me a little which was rather neat to see.

I can craft and improve glass armor now and I am pleased with the results. Finishing off the smithing/archery/light armor trees will take the majority of my points remaining, the rest going to lockpicking I think. Love the perk system and I could have a totally different character if I'd gone a different way.

I finally found some Daedric Quests last night. One was a guy in a bar, named Sam. He challenges you to a drinking contest. I highly suggest you take it. It spawned off to some amazing stuff with a great ending. Also, in Markath now, and I'm doing this very long quest about corruption, while doing this, I started one called "The Abandoned House"... and so far, this one is outstanding as well.

Question... I have 3 dragons worth of scales and bones, and man, they are heavy! If I don't have a house yet, I'm thinking I will just leave them in this "Abandoned House" for now. Has anyone done anything like that? Will I lose them?

Tom

I can craft and improve glass armor now and I am pleased with the results.

I started seeing my first glass stuff last night. Gave an awesome glass battleaxe to my companion and…she lost it. :( Another really annoying thing about enemies with disarm shouts, I'm guessing.

I'm thinking I will just leave them in this "Abandoned House" for now. Has anyone done anything like that? Will I lose them?

If it's not in your own home (i.e. you own it), then it's not secure and may not be there the next time you go looking. I'd highly recommend saving the 5k to buy the house in Whiterun. It's worth it for the storage alone.

I finally found some Daedric Quests last night.
Yep. The Sam one was enjoyable. If you do a little exploring in the northern section of Whiterun hold you'll find a little trinket that will lead you on another interesting Daedric quest as well.

Argh those disarm shouts are obnoxious. I nearly lost my bow twice and my did lose a good sword because of a couple disarms. So far the most irritating thing in-game I've encountered.

I (finally) finished the Staff of Magnus quest the other night - a hugely frustrating quest for me in battling enemies and the first time I had encounter one disarming me with a shout. I agree that's deeply irritating. Currently I am engaged with vampires, some of which are a pain in the arse to kill. I'm still following a talking dog around, who sounds like an American used car salesman (deeply, deeply out of place against the backdrop of Nordic and English accents through the rest of the game).

Argh those disarm shouts are obnoxious.

It's great when it's you shouting them though:). The Kill, Marked for Death Shout is freaking awesome, too!

I did end up restarting my game on the 360. My new character hit level 17 two nights ago. I'm playing an almost pure mage now. Dual casting destruction magic, Dark Elf. I love the Dual Casting perk which provides a more powerful version of a spell when dual cast. I've been pouring all my points into Magicka and have been wearing a nice Robe of Destruction that reduces cost of spells nearly 20% and magicka regen +75%. I'm still wanting to use some light armor though so I'm pumping up my enchanting and smithing skills. The goal would be to have a nice set of Elven or Glass Armor that carries similar statistical enchantments to the robe I have.

The other option would be to continue building on alteration and pick up the Mage Armor perk which boost spells like Oakflesh and Stoneflesh. Hmmmm....

I can tell you one thing though, it's been a blast getting away from my comfort zone and playing this type of character. I'm usually a sword and shield type of guy with magic use coming sparingly.

Can you regularly have more than one follower with you? I know there are quests where you get temporary additions but it would make some things a lot easier with more than one. ...I think I may have just answered my own question :)

Only one, Tonner.

Patch 1.2 is going to be releasing here shortly for all platforms. The PS3 version should be able to today. The 360 and PC versions will arrive on Wednesday, November 30th.

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/11/28/skyrim-1-2-update/

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)

Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)

Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)

Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away

Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player’s wedding dead

Dragon corpses now clean up properly

Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack

Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug

Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely

Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory

Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor

Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death

ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)

Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)

General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

Oh that's sweet! I'll have to download them to my kindle. I've spent time reading them in-game but I always feel like I could be actually adventuring so if I can read them out of the game, even better!

By the way, you too can be a serial killer in Skyrim! (seriously, WTF!?)

ray_jwcfmu.gif

Christ almighty. Hard not to be left with the impression that the modder who created that runs around screaming "it puts the lotion in the basket," isn't it?

:lol:

Had to put this down for the past 5 days as we hosted Thanksgiving and were super busy eating and drinking our way through Madison with our guests. I am dying to dive back in tonight.