LCVG
Romier S

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

Saw a funny bit last night while playing. A giant got in a fight with his Mammoth and he launched the mammoth in the air about 100 feet. The best part is once the Mammoth hit its peak, it hung there for about 5 seconds, ala Wylde E. Coyote, before falling to its death. The best part was I was able to loot its tusk for an early Whiterun quest. :)

-Dean-

The best part was I was able to loot its tusk for an early Whiterun quest.

I stole it from the very inn she wants to buy.

bird_in_awe.gif

Ah, Ysold. She's my current pick for when I go after my marriage achievement, though I see Aela from the Companions is a choice and doubles as a follower. Decisions, decisions.

I stole it from the very inn she wants to buy.

Romier, where the fuck do you find your GIFs? The sheer randomness often has me in tears with laughter.

So seriously, has anybody gotten their soundtrack CDs yet from DirectSong? I've gotten zero communication and I tried to email the address they had on PayPal (store@directsong.com) and have received no response. Their site is awful and has no other contact information or way to check your order status.

Romier, where the fuck do you find your GIFs?

As those who have visited my home will attest to, I have a folder full of the things from my various exploration of the web. I often post them because they make me laugh and I figured it's best to share:).

So seriously, has anybody gotten their soundtrack CDs yet from DirectSong?

No. Shipping time shows 4-6 weeks for me so I'm not expecting anything any time soon.

No. Shipping time shows 4-6 weeks for me so I'm not expecting anything any time soon.

Awesome, thanks for that. I was not given the option to create an account when I check out for this through PayPal, so I have no status. Just wanted to make sure my order didn't get complete lost in the shuffle.

Right about level 30, I noticed right around Thanksgiving that the game was getting easier, I figured I'd gotten over some invisible hump in the game and was just a badass. Today I fought 2 dragons, a blood and a frost and took them both out with only a handful of arrows, never needed to heal, take any potions, nothing. Then the light goes off in my head, I check the system options and sure enough, set to easy. We had family over for Thanksgiving and apparently someone fired up the 360, Skyrim was still in the tray so they started playing and decided it was too hard and changed the setting to easy and never set it back. Can't wait for Christmas to go their houses and fuck up their shit.

I love this game but god it's a glitchy fucking mess. Playing offline to avoid the patch and now I've got flickering textures in towns and I just killed a dragon that didn't give me a soul. It just laid there. Ugh. I think I may just wait until next week when the patch fix is released...

I love this game but god it's a glitchy fucking mess. Playing offline to avoid the patch and now I've got flickering textures in towns and I just killed a dragon that didn't give me a soul. It just laid there. Ugh. I think I may just wait until next week when the patch fix is released...

I've had that issue with a dragon before as well. Don't recall ever seeing flickering textures though. I think I'm going to wait on the patch fix before firing the game back up. Don't want to ruin what has otherwise been an awesome gaming experience to this point.

I seem to have some sort of "poltergeist" glitch. If I'm in a tavern, I hear stuff bumping around constantly. Sometimes when I open a door, shit goes flying everywhere, just like the kitchen scene in Paranormal Activity 2! Bethesda at it's finest. LOL

Okay - so I told myself that after spending waaay to much time with Dark Souls, I could probably take a couple of games break before diving fully into Skyrim. Well, finished Rage - and decided a one game break would do since I've really been itching to get into this. And seeing that yesterday was a cold and rainy December day in WI - well 6 hours later and approaching level 7 - here we are :) I do, however, have a couple of 'general' type questions that I haven't quite figured out yet

1. It appears that character leveling works rather differently than Oblivion where it really doesn't matter as whenever you level you get to pick to put 10 points into health, stamina, or magicka and take your perk point. As a recall from Oblivion - skills were driven by attributes and you wanted to be somewhat careful on what skills you raised between levels to maximize your attribute gain. Am I missing something here?

2. Related note - do attributes come into play in Skyrim? I don't remember getting any choice on where to put points in those (or starting skills for that matter) and if they're driving anything I haven't seen where.

3. Speaking of which - is there any way to increase my maximum weight limit? I assume I'll be able to do so through enchanting somewhere down the road - but wondering if I can do so from a base character level.

4. Do weapons and armor degrade or take damage? While it could be under the smithing tree, I haven't seen a 'repair' skill or found anybody selling repair hammers and I also haven't seen anything related to equipment durability in my inventory screen

5. Is there a 'good' or 'recommended' point to break away from the main storyline or does it make any difference whatsoever? As I remember - there was a point in Oblivion where the main story line tended to snowball up to the finish line but at the same point if you waited to long to handle a section in particular - that mission was really tough (the assault / rescue in the church-y thing is what I'm thinking about).

6. Okay - last one. I'm guessing the churches aren't the ones who sell the majority of restoration spells this time around. In the one church I've visited (I'll assume in Whitewood) the healer was a bit of a dick and wouldn't give me any kind of dialogue options much less the ability to buy any spells. What I'm really after is a cure disease spell since (or potion recipe) since I seem prone to contracting something or another (usually decreasing my effectiveness with melee weapons) and it's kinda annoying to be told by everybody I wander across that I don't look well if I haven't had a chance to visit the potion store and buy yet another cure disease potion.

To the rescue!

1&2 - There are no attribute points. Everything is related to your skills. The higher your skill, the better you are at any given task, combat, armor type, or magic school. You can also increase those skills you are using with perks. You get ten points every level to magic, health, or stamina, period. There is no way to alter this that I've seen or heard about. Character selection has changed to be more bonus ability based than attribute based, etc.

3 - Every time you pick the stamina perk you can carry an extra 5 pounds or weight blocks or whatever of gear. There are also perks to reduce the weight of armor types to next to nothing as well and some potions for bonus carrying capacity for a very short period of time.

4 - No degradation, no take damage. Thank god :P.

5 - Your choice. Some of us took off into the wilderness after the intro ended, others went through for a bit longer. It's hard to see all that cool stuff out in the wilderness and not go after it, for me anyway :).

6 - Healing items mostly come from apothecaries. Or dungeons. It's all potions, I think. I can't recall seeing a healing scroll anywhere. Obviously resting works as well, or learning a healing spell. Even if you're a fighter it doesn't hurt to have a healing spell in your repetoire, you can still use it and level up restoration even if you don't take any perks.

Just like in Dark Souls, bump up your stamina, and you can carry more stuff.

I just hit level 40 last night. Kind of reached that point where I can handle most anybody/anything, without any need for followers. The mini bosses at the end of some dungeons, I think called Draugr Deathlords, can still be mofo's, which is good.

When you first start these kind of games, and you're weak as hell and have to fear everything, it is kind of a drag. The opposite happens, to me anyway, when you get to the badass level, and worry about almost nothing. :( Can't have it both ways, ya know? In Oblivion I ended up at the "walking God" level, and the game lost much of its fun factor.

Guess I'm totally up in the air with the leveling enemies, thing. On one hand it's cool to always have a bit of worry that you'll get your ass handed to you, but on the other, it's nice to feel that progression up to the high end of the food chain, so to speak.

Still enjoying the hell outta Skyrim. Went with the rebellion. Screw the Thalmor and the empire. I'm bouncing around between the civil war quest line, and the main quest line, but like so many people, it's impossible for me not to get distracted in the TONS of other things to do.

I finished the "Forbidden Legend" quest today. If anyone is considering it, it has a great reward. I now have the Gauldur Amulet, which will increase your Health, Magic and Stamina by 30. Best piece I've found yet.

I did start over and went Destruction Mage... hit level 16. That quest I just did, was the death of Lydia. I just couldn't keep her alive at the end of the quest. So, I'm on the lookout of a new tank to quest with me.

Tom

I finished the "Forbidden Legend" quest today.

I've finished two legs of that quest. Have one more to do to complete it but I'll be saving it for after I complete the Mage College story. I'm on the third or so leg and want to finish it off before I head back into the world. Just hit level 25 if memory recalls. Eager to get this patch next week so I play the damn game online.

The mini bosses at the end of some dungeons, I think called Draugr Deathlords, can still be mofo's

God yes. As a mage, it's nice having a follower there to distract them. The Sanguine Rose is also a life saver in that regard. Throw a Dramora at them and it makes it even easier to nuke them to death. One or two slices from whatever weapon they carry will kill my cloth wearing self though:).

Seriously, how does this make it out to retail shelves? (watch the videos)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

There are bugs, there are glitches and I understand that with the complexity of the game in question but that is downright bad. No excuse for releasing a product that will eventually just break down after a lengthy investment of time by the player. Avoid the PS3 version is what you take away from that. Add in the texture bug on the 360 installs, the CTD's on the PC and well.....

Those are definitely lousy frame rates! Happier all the time that I bought this for pc, even though it's not without its faults either. I get the ctd failure every now and then.

But, now that I have the sli profile working, frame rates are either buttery smooth, or pretty good so, no complaints there.

Seriously makes you wonder about Bethesda and their "quality control". There's only so much the "but it's a complicated game" excuse can cover, IMHO. I think they're wearing that one out, especially after their latest patch makes the game worse! Nice....

I have the PS3 version, my save file is over 5.5 MB (~25 hours of gameplay) and it's laggy (not as bad as the vid) in really open areas, but fine in dungeons, homes or other small areas. It's crazy how much time I've put into this. I have noticed that as the save file is going up, the lag is more and more noticeable.

Some of the bugginess and interface decisions are really getting to me. I want to love this game, but christ the inventory stuff is fucking maddening sometimes (oh boy let me just transfer all these drained weapons back from my companion, charge them individually with the last soul gem on the list, then transfer them back again). Also the constant bugginess and the fact that I'm currently playing offline to avoid the patch that might fix some of those problems (yeah right) but definitely introduces new ones. I'm always running into sneak/non-sneak bugs, or bugs with the archery slowdown, or bugs with weapon recharging, or bugs with weapon swapping. The other day I noticed my two-handed was drained to 25 (from 60!) with nothing under active effects and no cure disease/blessing would fix it. I had to go to a trainer to have it level up one and fix the bug.

If you're ever questing at or near Markarth and the guards are threatening to take you to jail and not giving you any option to pay your bounty, it is just part of a quest. There is no need to slaughter everyone in the entire city

like I did.

Question about filling soul gems - if I have an item that says it fills them if I kill something within x seconds, does that mean I should be filling up my empty gems faily easily? I haven't actually checked to see if I am filling them up but it would be good to know. Another weapon I use is out of charges so if I am filling up my gems then I guess it would be pretty easy to recharge it.

Question about filling soul gems - if I have an item that says it fills them if I kill something within x seconds, does that mean I should be filling up my empty gems faily easily?

Yes but keep in mind that if you have a Grand Soul Gem in your inventory thats empty and its the only one and you go and kill a wolf, you will fill that Grand Soul gem with a petty soul (i.e. wasting it). You need to be mindful of that and try to plan which souls you're grabbing and not. I prefer to flat out use the soul trap spell or save the soul trapping weapon for the final blow etc.

If you've got a variety the soul will go to the lowest version possible. So if you've got a petty gem, common gem and grand soul gem and kill a wolf, it will fill the petty gem. If you kill a snow bear it will fill the grand gem, etc. To take human souls, you need black gems.

Thanks Romier. I didn't realize it worked like that - I had hoped that lesser souls could not fill a superior gem. Definitely something to be careful of. If the magic weapon runs out of charges does it lose that ability to fill gems until it is recharged?

Dragons - I was wandering in the north and came across a dragon. I was going to try to take it down but it never got close enough for me to try. I don't think this was the bug error, it just kept flying, moving, and hovering. If I switched to a ranged weapon would that have brought it down close enough for me to melee it?

Alchemy vs Smithing - What to sink perk points in? I am still going through a pretty good number of potions and my alchemy skill is only making like 22 point heals. On the smithing side, I have made quite a few hide items and have my skill up a decent amount and am thinking of going further with it to get the better heavy armor. I don't think I can spend points in both (with one-handed and heavy armor needing a lot of points; I think I have given up the idea of using Destruction) so any suggestions would be appreciated.