LCVG
Romier S

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

Yeah. I need to bring her with me more, but she's really bad at clomping around while I'm trying to backstab, which is problematic :P

Tell her to wait somewhere while you complete the backstab. :) The companion orders are actually pretty nice. You can point them to wherever you want them to stand and wait, have them follow and even direct them to the proper enemy you want them to attack.

Even then, I mostly like having her so she can function as a glorified pack mule. :)

I'm right around level 15, redguard, been putting most of my "perks" into heavy armor and 2 handed, although lately I've been putting more into archery. I'm rocking the full suit of Dwarven heavy armor, Dwarven greatsword, Dwarven warhammer, and Dwarven bow, all the weapons enchanted. I've got 5 "shouts" although only 4 are active, and I've fought 3 dragons although only 1 of those was a random. And oh yeah, I'm a werewolf :P

Are you finding the shouts as part of the main quest or side quests, Jeff? I still just have the one but I haven't done any of the guild quests.

Beyond the first I got one more via main quest, 2 via side quest, and one in a random dungeon I delved into. Maybe that random will turn into something that was supposed to be a side quest later though.

If you haven't gone up to the greybeards yet I'd suggest it, even if you are trying to hold off on the main quest stuff. They give you something I found pretty damn useful in my travels thus far.

Hmm, may as well.

I have to bust into a new town soon, nobody around me has any moonstone left.

I am intrigued about the werewolves. That seems like it would be really hard on nocturnal social obligations ;)

I got one from a note a courier gives you and checked out what it suggested, the other was part of the quests for joining the Companions, another was in a random dungeon, I'll check and see if I can find which one.

I was wolfed out in broad daylight, not sure if that was maybe a glitch but the sun was shining and I was a hairy bastard. Haven't learned how to control it yet but from what I understand it's a metered power that you choose when and where to unleash and I've seen fellow werewolves do that very thing, there's even a group that use silver weapons dedicated to hunting us down. I don't know if there are random werewolves that can attack and infect you like the vampires but for me I was given a choice and there was even a ceremony.

Oh, yeah, the Silver Hand, I ran into a bunch of those guys. They were very hostile to me. I am pretty sure they shot first though.

Those silver weapons sell for great money in a pinch. I'm certainly pro-werewolf, that's a given ;).

Regarding the Werewolves, I'll spoiler it, there's really no story spoilers just what they can do and how to become one but I'll spoiler it just in case.

You can become a werewolf whenever you want, once a day for a good 5 minutes or so. You select it in place of a shout and activate it the same way, the game pulls back to a 3rd person view and you transform, pop right out of your armor. Right and left triggers are right and left claws, holding the sprint button makes you go down on all fours and haul ass, and the shout button makes you do a howl that I think does some damage if the enemies are close enough. When you go back to human you're naked except for a loincloth and have to re-equip everything. Also while you're in human form you can't get the rest bonus for sleeping but become 100% immune to disease.

If you want to try it

just follow the companions quests and you'll get it 3 or 4 quests in.

Well, I can positively say that your companions WILL die, if you're not careful. Lydia is dead. Damn...we ended up in a bit of a shitstorm, and usually I don't need to babysit her at all. Kinda lost track of where she was in the fight but, she was ganged up on, and they killed her.

I liked her 'cause she was hot. Anyhow, I got some dude assassin with me now. I'm working through the plethora of side quests I have to do. Still haven't touched the main quest line, to the point where I have to see the Greybeards. Seems like a lot of people have stopped there too.

The Stormcloaks are definitely racist pricks. I was a member of the Imperial Legion on Morrowind, and always envisioned if I really WAS the Nerevarine (sp?), I would've built a fortress on Red Mountain, and notified the Empire that Morrowind is succeeding from it. This is a chance to actually see how something like that might play out.

Heading off to kill another dragon, on a mission from Windhelm.

A couple things that bother me is, that I really would like a better way to compare armor/weapons, from what I have to what I've found. Also, would like it if on the mission screen, the misc mission to be exact, would explain WHY I'm doing such and such mission, just like the main ones do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...well, Lydia is back. Not because she came back from the dead, or something like that. No; it was yet another one of Bethsofts "fun" glitches. For some reason, I ended up getting a giant ice crystal sticking out of me, and it wouldn't go away. Anytime I tried to go someplace new, I was attacked, as though the corrupted character model somehow was in an aggressive state. Wonderful. Unfortunately for me, it saved the game that way several times, and I didn't notice it. Only way to get this glitch to go away was to reload from a previous save....like, at the beginning of my evening. 2 levels lost, and several hours wasted, due to pretty much a game ending glitch.

Nice...and it's early in the game. Wonder what's next? Hopefully the patch is next. Even rebooted the computer, to no avail. It saved the corruption.

The only time Lidia has died on me it was by my doing. I swung around to flame a baddie and didn't realize she was kneeling on the ground near death. As soon as she caught some flame she was dead. Was ok since I've gotten so used to saving before EVERY battle. I've got my eye on another housecarl though. Speaking of which, does anyone know when you change housecarls if the items they were carrying for you transfer over? Poor Lidia is loaded to the max as usual and I dont want to lose any of that stuff if I switch.

I'm loving the archery in the game. Getting quite good at it with my character. Got to level 19 tonight. Still just rollin with an Elven (fine) bow. No problems killing dragons, giants, etc. Just gotta keep my distance and look for high ground where they can't reach me. :) Would like to upgrade my bow though at some point. I'm starting to focus on smithing (up to level 52 tonight) so I can improve magical weapons/armor. Part of me wants to keep focusing on smithing until I hit 100 just so I can make some of that dragon armor.

I just finished a side quest involving retrieving a sword for a chick in Riften. I highly recommend that quest. The dungeon was HUGE and it definitely made me think of Thief especially given my archery character. You'll know what that means when you see it.

Riften? I haven't finished in the start city dammit!

You are making me feel better about my archery decision at least, I just have to get better at it :P. My armor is now superior level Elven, found more moonstone and upgraded all my gear, it has helped.

Lydia is hanging with me again and I must admit she is making things easier on me just by meat shielding alone. She can punch the dragon and I get to hang back and pepper with arrows.

Does absorbing dragon souls actually do anything?

I was one of the few that didn't enjoy Oblivion, but was getting sick of Modern Warfare 3, and wanted something else to take my time away from MW3. Uncharted 3 wasn't enough so decided to get this game.

Wow did I make the right choice, enjoying the crap out of it so far. Started out as a wood elf and geez the world seems huge so many things to do lol

Also, the special abilities for the classes like the Wood Elf is "getting animals to help you in fights". How does that work? Do I need to unlock it via skills/perks or something?

If you go into magic, there should be an 'abilities' tab that has your character's ability in it.

Also, thanks Romier. Not like I wouldn't have killed it for the crafting material, but good to know it has other benefits.

I was finally able to put more than a few minutes (it was probably only an hour or so, but I was up til 2:00) into the game. I completed the golden claw quest and reached level 4 (almost 5). While I have owned Morrowind and Oblivion, I never really put much play time into them; I can already tell Skyrim is going to be different. One of the things I didn't like about Oblivion was having to be careful of the skills you used so you could maximize your attribute points when leveling. That does not seem to be how the system works and I appreciate that streamlining.

I do have a question or two:

- In your inventory, what does the 'store' option do?

- Is there a way to increase how much you can carry?

- I've had to drop a fair amount of items just to stay unencumbered. Do those persist? (playing pc version if that matters)

- I was thinking of going with a one-handed/destruction combo, but since I want to dual wield I am thinking of just focusing on the melee skills. Sound good, or can you really do both?

Store only appears if you are interacting with a body or container. You put the item into the person/container.

You can carry an additional 5 weight every time you increase your stamina.

You can easily do both. One handed improves even if you're one-handed and magical. I have been doing that for a while, and you can swap out easily, use magic at a distance then dual wield up close. The system is very flexible - you may not get every perk but doing what you want you can improve any talent. If I decide to abandon my thieving ways I can start learning two-handers and heavy armor and use them just fine with practice.

If anyone does want Oblivion, it's super-cheap on Steam today. Although I should probably pick up my half-finished 360 save file instead.

Put a good 4 hours in last night and finally got a taste of this latest installment. LOVE IT. They have improved so many things from Oblivion it's just not even funny. Interface is a joy, the battles are far more intense. I know I'm only playing on a console (360) and the PC version must be fantastic, but I cannot believe how far the visuals have come in 5 years on the same piece of hardware. Geez, it looks and sounds amazing!

I'm playing a fighter-mage high elf...sword in one hand, spell in the other with some occasional archery thrown in. I took down the Bleak Falls golden claw mission, now I'll be looking for more stuff to do as I've gotten the feel for everything. I decided to play on Expert since this isn't my first Elder Scrolls rodeo, seems about right as my heart gets racing during some of the battles!

I hope my soundtrack gets here soon as well, it's certainly not a letdown in that department.

Can someone give me the low-down on smithing? I have some Elven armor right now but apparently I need refined moonstone or something like that to upgrade it. Kinda lost.