LCVG
Romier S

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

Is this a viable build? I've rolled a Nord focusing on one-handed (with plans to dual wield) with some destruction mixed in. I'm using heavy armor at the moment, but wonder if light armor would give me better mobility. No shield makes me think heavy is the way to go though. Oh, I might put a couple of points in restoration just to heal myself better and then the rest would be crafting of some sort (smithing probably).

From Todd Howard:

http://gamrfeed.vgch...rims-level-cap/

"The levelling is faster. Oblivion and Fallout 3, we think of them as 1-25 games. This is a 1-50. But what that means is we just sped it up. It's not like it's going to take you longer. There are so many perks and the power really comes from the perks, we wanted to get it going faster."

Howard then went on to say that "You level faster in the beginning and then it slows down." While the level cap is 50, Howard continued on by saying that the game's "mathematical" level cap --or hard cap-- is "probably somewhere in the 70s."

i.e. if you have 100 in all skills, you'd be around level 75-80.

I'm using heavy armor at the moment, but wonder if light armor would give me better mobility.

For what? Are you planning on using sneak/stealth? Also, if you invest in heavy armor perks you can mitigate any downsides it may have (there is a perk that makes you silent in heavy armor and that makes it weightless).

Oh, I might put a couple of points in restoration just to heal myself better and then the rest would be crafting of some sort (smithing probably).

I find restoration a bit useless *IN* battle unless you're a dual wielding caster and can have it at the ready at all times. I find alchemy and potions to be a more effective option. You gain "points" by using it in the end but a perk or two may not hurt if you want to increase it's effectiveness outside of combat.

I wasn't planning on doing much stealth. Does the armor affect how fast you attack? I guess with points in dual wield to make attacking faster and points in heavy armor to get rid of the weight consideration there wouldn't be any real reason not to go with heavy armor.

I'd probably only need to get 3 perks from restoration: Novice Restoration, Regeneration, and maybe Respite. Though I guess the better healing spells are not going to be novice level spells...

Apprentice Destruction and Augmented Flames are the destruction perks that jump out at me though again, I'm sure better fire spells are not going to be novice level spells.

Looks like I would need 11 points to get the Heavy Armor perks. The only one I wouldn't get is the unarmed combat one.

8 points in One-Handed at least, plus another 3 for a particular weapon type, maybe 3 more for a second weapon.

That's only around 30 points in perks. Should give me enough to round out my character nicely.

I wasn't planning on doing much stealth. Does the armor affect how fast you attack? I guess with points in dual wield to make attacking faster and points in heavy armor to get rid of the weight consideration there wouldn't be any real reason not to go with heavy armor.

If you use stealth light armor is the best, not heavy armor.

Tonner, that's damn near EXACTLY the same character I'm building. I'm putting perks in 2 handed, 1 handed, blocking, heavy armor, and some destruction magic. Been mostly leveling up stamina, then health. I think I leveled uP magic once.

I; however, do use stealth. Can't help it. Huge fan of the 'Thief' series so, I play stealthily anytime I can. It's been in the back of my mind that heavy armor probably makes you noisier but, I'm not switching to light armor unless I can find some glass armor with high defense. Didn't know that one of the high end perks is to make heavy armor silent, and weightless! Cool! Definitely a new goal.

Whoever mentioned that you should get into a drinking contest, I you can, was right! Lol lets just say that in real life, I NEVER woke up after a hard nights drinking, in such a bad way. XD. Such a loooooooooong walk back...

Oh yeah, Lydia is dead again. We were walking in a really beautiful foresty park of Skyrim, when out of nowhere, we were attacked by a frost dragon. I mean I literally felt the ground shake, and BOOM: there it was in between some trees. Her and I started fighting it, and I finally killed it. Didn't see her anywhere so, I guessed the worst, and searched around the area. Sure enough, there she was under some bushes. I'm going on without her. Besides, I know of an assassin that's for hire that'll hang with me if I really need some company.

Bought a house in Whiterun. I'm wondering if that's a bad decision, only because they're sympathetic/allies with the empire, and I'm joining the Stormcloaks. I think I'd rather have a place in Winterhelm, or whatever it's called.

Random guy runs up to me, hands me leather armor of major health, and tells me not to ask any questions, he'll be back later for it and runs off.

2 minutes later another random guy runs up and asks me if I've seen this guy and proceeds to describe the first guy, I give him his armor back and off he go's.

Couple mintes later first guy blows right past me screaming for mercy with second guy in hot pursuit whizzing arrows into first guys ass.

I love this game :D

Bought a house in Whiterun. I'm wondering if that's a bad decision, only because they're sympathetic/allies with the empire

The Jarl isn't and neither are the Graymanes. The Jarl is neutral in the conflict.

Oh and I changed my mind and went Empire. I read a book about how Ulfric Stormcloak came into power (which ties into the Forsworn) and decided there was no way in hell I could fight for him when I factored in the hatred of Dark Elves. The Thalmor are fucktards but in speaking with the imperials, they don't like them anymore than I do so on with reunification!

:lawl at that scenario Jeff.

I'd like to read that book. I've been playing Elder Scrolls since Morrowind but, it's damn hard to remember all the back histories. Think I'm going to study the main wiki a bit more. Just not sure which side to jump on.

Part of me thinks that breaking up the empire would be good. Let each province stand or fall on its own merits. Kind of let things work themselves out naturally. The Thalmor would have a hard time fighting each one on so many fronts. Hammerfell is out of the empire, and they're still free, and I guess still holding off the elves. Tough fighting someone on their own territory.

Does more become clear in the game as you work each side, or is this decision going to totally close off learning about the others point of view? I've mostly been doing side quests and not getting involved in the meatier main ones. I still haven't joined either side yet.

Found/learned a new shout, well not really new, the 2nd part of one I already had. Even came across a dragon so I could get a soul to power it, too bad it proceeded to hand my ass to me. It was a "blood" dragon and shot frost, bastard wouldn't land so I was forced to try and peg him with arrows, not a good strategy for a character that's pretty much all heavy armor and 2-handed weapons.

Been there Jeff. Those blood dragons are THE worst of the bunch. I'm a heavy warrior type too. My only dragon tactic so far, is to "weather the storm" until they land, then rush them and try to beat the piss outta them. Unfortunately, a blood dragon can take a beating.

20 hours on and I'm almost up to see the graybeards. Ended up trying to sort out a miscellaneous quest that turned into a 2-hour dungeon romp. Got a shout out of it though!

Also picked up a glass dagger for stabbing. Next level I'll be getting the assassin perk that will enable me to do 165 damage with the dagger, unenchanted and unimproved. I can handle that ;).

Dropped speech and destruction from my primary trees. Armor, archery, sneaking, locks, and smithing all more important. Finally figured out how to poison my weapons too. Very pleased ;)

I played this last night for almost 7 hours straight! I finally bought a horse only to have it fall off a 15 foot cliff and die. So, I went back to where I bought it and stole another one. If I'm spending $1,000 for a horse I expect the damn thing to survive a 15 foot fall! I will also not be discussing anymore bugs with Romier for this game as I was finally hit with the purple tree bug. My CTD's have gotten much better as well since setting shadows to low; only 1 last night in my marathon play session.

I can see this game getting a ton of GOTY votes including mine!

So I finally got my house and dumped a ton of stuff into it. Also got some new spells and unlocked Elven armor in the smitty. I just need some Quicksilver ingots to make that sweet Elven bow. Also completed a werewolf questline that I found in the SW portion of the map. I got a sweet piece of light armor for my reward. Also killed another random dragon. I'm on a quest now with a talking dog as my companion. :)

-Dean-

I got on late last night with the intention of just messing around for a few minutes until my wife was ready for bed. I decided to deliver the

fake

letter but his door was locked. I assume lockpicking people's doors is a no-no, right? So, to pass some time I went wandering in the area and came upon a mine. I'm working my way through there and pretty much having my way with the bandits. I found a pick axe - is ore something I will actually be able to interact with so I know to mine it? Oh, of course then my wife was ready for bed so I had to shut down.

Yep, ore shows up in mines and above ground. Keep a pickaxe handy.

It can be a bit hard to spot, but tends to have white striations running through it.