LCVG

PS2 the ultimate weapon?

Sam P

Clicky

A friend sent this to me earlier today.

The article wasn't particularly descriptive in exactly what was so dangerous about our beloved console. As far as I know, there is nothing on the PS2 that can't be had with any home PC out there.

And they kept mentioning the threat of the DVD player.... :shock:

You can buy PCs in China. You can buy DVD players in China. In fact, you can get a knock-off "brand name" DVD player from a street hawker outside the train station for dirt cheap. I know, last time I was there I almost bought one. :green:

I don't get it.

Old, old article. Sony's a victim of their own legal shenanigans. They lobbied the Japanese government to get the machine classed to a level that would preven it being exported out of Japan (this was six months before the US launch, and they couldn't produce enough for their home market let alone all around the world).

There's really nothing more to it, same with the stories of Sadam buying up PS2s to use as missile guidance systems - hyerbole, pure & simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you imagine if Saddam's military network ran off of PS2's with network adaptors-- he could be sending out military commands with the Dance Dance Revolution pad...

Saddam: Die, you imperialistic dogs!

Saddam missteps, stepping on the up arrow instead of the down arrow.

Saddam: Damn you, Britney Spears and your hedonistic dancing!

There's really nothing more to it, same with the stories of Sadam buying up PS2s to use as missile guidance systems - hyerbole, pure & simple.

Those stories may have some element of truth to them.

Last year at TRU we had a rash of very large PSone sales. No games, just the systems. Two guys would come in and buy every PSone a store had in stock. I encountered them once and asked what they wanted with so many (50+) PSone consoles. They explained that it was cheaper to buy the consoles in the US and export them to their home than to buy from an official distribution source. The story sounded reasonable so I allowed the sale.

The next day my superiors and I spoke with the Secret Service and FBI. They had been tracking multiple strings of these individuals and decided to get us involved to prevent future sales. My bosses ordered all stores to cease bulk video game hardware sales immediately. I told the agents about the story of exporting the units to their homes and was met with a response that was a "typical cover story". My immediate boss was told by another agent that the case involved national security. That's all we ever heard.