LCVG

Wireless Encryption Help

Sam P

I've had a wireless network setup in my home for a few months now, for both my laptop and the Xbox Live Wireless Adapter.

However, I haven't yet used any encryption. It's quite an accomplishment for me to get the network up and running at all, so I've largely ignored the WEP.

However, I've been hearing about people who drive around in their vehicles in residental neighbourhoods prowling for idiots like me who leave their internet connection open for all to use and abuse. For all I know, it might have happened already.

So I've got a sudden case of security paranoia and I want to get some measure of protection.

In my Wireless Router (Linksys) setup screen, I see the option to turn WEP on. Under settings, it asks whether I want 64 or 128 bit (the higher the better, right?) and a passcode. But it also has a pull-down menu for "Keys" 1-4, and also asks for "Default TX Key". What exactly are all these? I don't want to mess around for fear of screwing all the settings up, so could someone kindly give me a brief explanation of these?

Also, by using WEP, am I going to lose some wireless speed? I'm particularly concerned about Xbox LIVE, where I get just OK latency as it is.

Thanks!

P.S. To clarify, I'm strictly looking for a way to keep unwanted leechers off my connection. Perhaps it isn't encryption I'm concerned with, but rather a network password. How do I set that? I'm pretty sure I currently don't need one to sign on with my laptop. Thanks!

As for keeping out wardrivers and snoopers, you should use a real firewall on your networked PCs. That's a good place to start.

Then, you can turn on MAC filtering on your router for another degree of security -- only allow "known" MAC's to access wireless. Netgear routers support this and Linksys might, too.

As for the encryption, 1) Dunno how your router (or wireless cards or bridges) work with encryption. Check your various manuals. I know you can download manuals from Linksys. 2) It's my understanding that higher levels of WEP encryption increasingly slow down your connection, but I have no idea whether this means overall speed or latency or both.

-j

• 2 weeks later...

What you really should do is disable the SSID broadcasting. A wireless router by default sends out the SSID which means anyone using Netstumbler can get your SSID and get on you network. MAC address filtering works ok, but using Netstumbler anyone can also get the MAC address of every component on your network and use it.

Originally posted by WarEagle@Dec 1 2003, 05:58 PM

What you really should do is disable the SSID broadcasting. A wireless router by default sends out the SSID which means anyone using Netstumbler can get your SSID and get on you network. MAC address filtering works ok, but using Netstumbler anyone can also get the MAC address of every component on your network and use it.

So if I turn off SSID broadcasting, how do my wireless devices connect to the router?

Good call, Paul. Turning off the broadcasting is a big one that I forgot.

Sam, you turn it off in your router's control panel somewhere. After you make sure that you're using a unique SSID (not the default or something obvious like your street address), you type it in manually into your wireless adapter's control panel as a preferred location or something (dunno how your's works; check your manual).

-j