LCVG
Romier S

Star Wars on Blu-Ray officially announced - September 2011

Didn't you respond when I shared that video on Facebook a year or so ago? I thought you were planning to seek out the new Harmy remaster then. I've yet to see it for myself but the effort is astounding. It remains ludicrous that fans are the ones having to go to these lengths.

I wonder if he'll revisit the other two.

Didn't get an opportunity until now and I think it was still WIP then, too.

Converted the MKV file over to an ISO using a program called tsmuxer. Pretty easy really. 

Burned the ISO today and gave it a spin.

Reaction upon seeing it on the plasma.

iR1ctF8tsDyhb.gif 

Its fucking sorcery. A full color corrected and fixed version of the Blu-Ray release. *spooge*

The amount of work that went into the Despecialized version and all of the sources is nothing short of amazing.

I have some version of it on my Plex server, but it might not be 2.5. Was that just released?

Yeah. The completed version was released May 4th, 2014. Its an 18GB download.

The amount of audio tracks on the thing is insane:

TRACK 1) 5.1 DTS-HD-MA [English] (1977 70mm six track mix)

TRACK 2) 2.0 DTS-HD-MA [English] (1977 35mm stereo mix)

TRACK 3) 1.0 DTS-HD-MA [English] (1977 35mm mono mix)

TRACK 4) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (1985 Laserdisc mix)

TRACK 5) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (1993 Laserdisc mix)

TRACK 6) 2.0 Dolby Digital [German] (1978 dub reconstruction)

TRACK 7) 2.0 Dolby Digital [French] (1977 dub)

TRACK 8) 2.0 Dolby Digital [spanish] (1977 Castilian dub)

TRACK 9) 1.0 Dolby Digital [spanish] (1980 Latino dub)

TRACK 10) 1.0 Dolby Digital [Portuguese] (1980s Brazilian dub)

TRACK 11) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Japanese] (1978 Dub)

TRACK 12) 2.0 Dolby Digital [italian] (1977 dub)

TRACK 13) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Polish] (1995 Voiceover)

TRACK 14) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Czech] (1992 dub)

TRACK 15) 2.0 Dolby Digital [Hungarian] (1984 dub)

TRACK 16) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (1993 LD Audio Commentary - silence filled with 1993 LD 2.0)

TRACK 17) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (2004 DVD Audio Commentary - recut to fit this release)

TRACK 18) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (2004 starwars.com Audio Commentary - recut to fit this release)

TRACK 19) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (2011 BD Archival Interviews Audio Commentary - recut to fit this release)

TRACK 20) 2.0 Dolby Digital [isolated Score] (Compiled by hairy_hen)

TRACK 21) 2.0 Dolby Digital [English] (Commentary For Visually Impaired)

What a concindence - I just started rewatching the OT with my daughter (mainly because her SW knowledge is sorely lacking). I made it a point to watch the Despecialized Editions first - so when she sees the current "official" releases she'll better understand why most of that is garbage...

Looks awesome. Getting it now... but slowly. May need to try and get an invite to MySpleen.

Yeah. The completed version was released May 4th, 2014. Its an 18GB download.

Just to clarify so others don't get confused if they're looking for it, the completed MKV was released in January. A smaller AVCHD version that could fit onto a DVD-9 disc was released in May.

Intriguingly, it has been uncovered this week that Reliance Media Works, formerly Lowry, undertook a 4k restoration of the Star Wars trilogy. There are notices and samples of their work on the films up on their website confirming a 4k 16bit restoration was undertaken, which have nothing to do with the existing Blu-rays as they come from the old 1080p source used for the 2004 DVDs. There's suggestion from a Linkedin profile from a former RMW employee that this was undertaken during his time at the company, and he moved on from there in 2010. This work not having been seen for four+ years might not be too shocking when one considers they also did True Lies and The Abyss several years ago, which have still yet to see the light of day, and Star Wars could in fact still be an ongoing project that possibly even got halted during the Disney buyout.

It begs the question what version of the films they were restoring and why of course. The most likely explanation could be they were done in advance for the planned 3D re-release, so would have been scans and clean ups most likely of the 1997 elements, at which point the 04 and 2011 cg additions would have been carried over, but those 3D releases never happened. The one curiosity is that on the CreativeCow resume of a former employee, it states 'Restoration, Mapping, Dirt Picking : Star Wars 4K Blu-Ray Release,' but, again, the Blu-rays the world got never came from a 4k source. It's possible they made a mistake in listing the purpose of the job of course. 

http://www.rmwusa.com/ (click restoration)

http://services.creativecow.net/s/6299/jazmyn-marie-media-services

I'm not convinced this is anything to get excited about and suspect, given the timing of when this work was undertaken, it would have indeed related to the abandoned 3D versions.