LCVG

Video Editing Software

foogledricks

I've used everything from AVID Media Composer, to Media 100, Premiere, and Imovie. I really liked Premiere but I wanted to go legit so I bought Power Director 9, which got good reviews. I'm impressed with it. My wife could figure it out, which was a bonus. We're using it to edit everything from phone video to 1080p video. It does a great job. Though I miss a lot of things about Premiere. How can I complain, it was only $79.

What do you use?

Adobe Premier was the first video editing app I ever owned, back in 1993 or so. It was a great piece of software. I don't even remember what the competing products were at the time, but Premier was way ahead (in the consumer space at least). I let my license lapse and didn't work with video for a while after that. Then in the early 2000s I bought Final Cut Express, which is a very capable program. It's based on FCP, lacking only a few capabilities of Pro. It took a bit of adjusting to FC when I first started, it works differently than Premier (or at least Premier 4, which was probably the last version I used).

I recently had the 'pleasure' of working in iMovie '09 at my last job. I only used it because I had to work quickly on a project someone else had started in iMovie. This was the version where Apple brilliantly hid the timeline. Ugh, it was so awful. I hear the latest version has the timeline back, I hope they learned from that little experiment.

I'm now using Final Cut Pro, which is pretty darn nice. It was amazing when I started to use it because it could do so much in real-time, even on HD footage. Now it's old hat, but only a few years ago it was hard to believe.

I also spent a lot of time with Adobe After Effects at about the same time I was using Premier. Unlike Premier, After Effects was constantly improved by Adobe over the years, it's always been a really great program. Final Cut Studio comes bundled with Apple's answer to After Effects called Motion. I gave Motion an honest try, I even did a project in it. But in the end it just works in such a bizarre way, I was happy to go back to After Effects. Certain things in motion are great, but as a whole package, AE is better IMO.

I've used Premiere Pro in the past (Win), but I hear that Apple's Final Cut is tha shizzle.

I've heard the opposite. Plenty use it, natch, but I've heard from people I trust with such things that it's fallen behind the technology curve. The biggest complaint is that it is dog slow.

I use Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 (64 bit), but really only because I was a big Sonic Foundry fan and never really considered trying anything else. (Noise Reduction 2.0 saved my ass on more than one occasion!) Vegas scales beautifully and currently I'm throwing 4 hyper-threaded cores at it. I'm thinking about adding 2 more in a few months if Sandy Bridge can get its shit together and drive the cost of 1366 parts down. Regardless, I'd point people to Avid products just for the support, both community side and 3rd party.

I use Final Cut Pro here at work. It's so nice after playing around with iMovie at home.

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up Final Cut Express for home, hoping it would be a good budget option that is still a step above what iMovie can do. Anybody have experience with it, or know how cut down it is from FCP?

It's been a while but yes, I think FC Express is a good option for home and had ALOT more features than iMovie. Not sure what's different between express and pro these days - I'd guess not as many separate tracks are supported, not as many effects/transitions/layouts and that kind of thing.

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve Seen The New Version of Final Cut Pro…

… and it’s a jaw-dropper.

Last week, Apple invited a few folks, including me, to a short meeting in Cupertino where they previewed the up-coming version of Final Cut Pro.

While I am under NDA and can’t talk about what I saw, I CAN tell you the meeting happened and that it showcased the new Final Cut Pro.

While the invited crowd was small, it was a Who’s Who of leaders in the post-production community. I felt like I was standing on the red carpet at an awards show, watching all the stars walk past.

There will be LOTS to talk about as this project gets closer. For now, I recommend you subscribe to my monthly Final Cut Studio newsletter – because I’ll share all the news that I’m allowed to share in there first.

Tell your friends … its gonna be a great year.

Larry

P.S. If you feel the urge to email me for more information, keep in mind that Apple’s lawyers are bigger than your lawyers. So, until Apple lifts the NDA, I’m telling you all I can … for now.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/goodies/blog.html

• 1 month later...