LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
kelley

X-Men First Class

The more I see of this the more I think it might... actually... be good?!? Not just o.k. and not "at least it didn't suck" range but acually good.

Dare I hope...?

I'm still awaiting non-geek review, but it is looking promising. My one reservation however is Matthew Vaughn movies getting praise, my being told how much I would like his films, then seeing them and not liking them much at all. Hopefully this proves to be an exception.

Every single review I have read enjoyed it a lot, so I am looking forward to it a lot more then i was.

This movie exceeded my expectations. I read the positive reviews, but I didn't expect it to be this good. It's definitely my fave out of the series. I loved the little tie-ins to the previous movies too.

X2 still reigns supreme in my book but First Class is absolutely right close to it. I loved it. Fassbender is fantastic (and I love that they got Magneto's helmet right finally!) but someone who is not getting enough praise is Mcavoy in his portrayal of Xavier. I completely bought him as a young Patrick Stewart.

Kevin Bacon also needs to be in more movies cause he was perfect as Shaw. I enjoyed the sub-story with Mystique and Hank even though the payoff is a little wanting. As with all of the X-movies, some characters get the short end of the stick (Azazel, Havok, Banshee, Emma Frost) as far as character development is concerned - but these are minor complaints in light of the fact that Vaughn and company wiped away the memory of X-Men 3.

Oh and the

Wolverine

cameo was PERFECT. I was happy to see

Rebecca Romijn

cameo as well! I'll likely go see it again tomorrow. There's so much packed into its run time that I feel as though a second viewing is warranted.

As with all of the X-movies, some characters get the short end of the stick (Azazel, Havok, Banshee, Emma Frost)

Agree but I'm glad Emma Frost's character was because that was the worst acting in the film.

January Jones was given very little to nothing to work with though. She looked utterly bored throughout as she was obviously there to meet the movies tit quota. She can act, but I agree she was one of the weakest links in the movie. It's too bad because Emma Frost is a fantastic character in the comics (especially now that she's converted to the side of the angels so to speak).

I find it funny, reading about Kevin Bacon (guess I can write about this now), since we came that close to getting him to be in ECHOES a while back. In the end, he simply wanted a tad more than we could afford (and considering it was KB, the price wasn't that bad).

I loved it, too. Any movie that gets Rose Byrne in her lingerie in the first 10 minutes has a good jump on being great, as well. :)

I loved it, too. Any movie that gets Rose Byrne in her lingerie in the first 10 minutes has a good jump on being great, as well. :)

Word

Kevin Bacon is AWFUL at German. Sorry to say it, but jeez. Also, did they reshoot the intro from X1 or what? It can't have been the same kid.

Nicholas Hoult as Hank was a pleasant surprise as we had recently watched the first four series of Skins. Looking forward to seeing him in more movies to come (too bad about the Artemis Fowl thing, he'd have been excellent for that role).

Overall, I found this way more enjoyable than the precious releases in the franchise, even if they had some "interesting" character choices.

Nicholas Hoult as Hank was a pleasant surprise as we had recently watched the first four series of Skins. Looking forward to seeing him in more movies to come (too bad about the Artemis Fowl thing, he'd have been excellent for that role).

Overall, I found this way more enjoyable than the precious releases in the franchise, even if they had some "interesting" character choices.

Yeah, he did well, but the costume was TERRIBLE. It was really, really bad. Mystique's hair looked pretty funky too.

Agreed. This might be the best comic book movie I've seen.

The cameo was hysterical. I had a hard time explaining to my wife why it was funny (She hasn't really seen the other X-men movies or if she did she doesn't remember).

Blu-ray bound on the 9th of September:

2. 10 Marvel “X-Men” Digital Comics with exclusive “X-Men: First Class” Backstory Comic

More than two hours of never-before-seen extras, including:
  3. Cerebro Mutant Tracker: The complete interactive Mutant Database with interactive videos giving fans the ability to learn about their favorite mutants in the X-Men film franchise
  4. Children of the Atom: An eight-part behind-the-scenes featurette, charting the film from
  5. pre-production through post-production, including visual effects techniques and cataloguing “X-Men” transformations through prosthetic make up and costume design
  6. “X” Marks the Spot: An interactive feature allowing viewers the opportunity to learn more about specific scenes with talent interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
  7. Extended and Deleted Scenes
  8. BD-Live Portal with additional Cerebro Mutant Tracker profiles
  9. Composer’s Isolated Score
  10. Theatrical Trailer

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/74138/x-men-first-class-us-in-september.html

Wow, that was fast. And I believe Thor comes out on 9/13.

Good, because I really wanted to see this, and missed out on the theatrical run.