LCVG

Making a connection with videogames

Robot Monkey

Why don't more games offer features to connect with your games like ESPN Football's Crib? Or, to a lesser degree, Sega GT's Garage or PGR 2's custom soundtracks?

I love these features. The more personalization the more I connect to a game. Shouldn't more racing titles, for example, have custom paint editors like MotoGP?

PGR 2's garage is nice, but you have to slog through menus to find it, it only shows your cars in a specific class and you can't personalize it.

I'd love to see a garage feature closer to Sega GT's, with more options to personalize it. Maybe I want a Snap-It tool girl's calendar in there. Or picture from my races (that can be clicked on to show the replay).

And why not take it online? Instead of looking at a plain lobby screen, you could wander around the host's garage, looking at the host's cars (and listening to a low-bandwidth version of his or her's custom soundtrack)?

The RPG genre figured out a while ago that we like to choose the character's look, down to the color of your avatar's boots. Is it a matter of time with other genres?

-j

Well, Western RPGs are going that way, thankfully. I think Japanese RPGs are going completely the opposite direction in some cases.

Most strategy games are great for personalization. Railroad Tycoon does an excellent job of this, letting you rename stations and giving special titles to locomotives that set speed records. I mean, is it better to hear that Train 1 just pulled into station or that 'Zippy the Trainhead' did? Or MOM where you could rename the heroes, or X-Com where you could customize your entire squad.

Am I more connected with the game if I can do that? Hell yeah. It's just the same as System Shock 2 or Deus Ex, where I can alter my character to fit my style. If I want to be a gun-toting badass then I can be, or a flaky psionics dude, or a sniper.

The garage idea is great and I laud it appropriately. Any game should have a little space where it lists your accomplishments or particular awards and merits earned. It's just something simple that gets overlooked a lot.

In general I don't care too much about garages or other 'homes'.

But custom paint jobs are cool (but profanity and nudity online might be considered a problem by some).

I do like Tiger Woods create-a-player functionality...but not enough to get me to switch from Links. :) Hopefully Links '05 has more flexibility in this respect.

Basically, think as your vehicle/athlete/character as an avatar...people like flexibility in avatars.

Originally posted by Beer Monkey@Nov 26 2003, 07:27 PM

custom paint jobs are cool (but profanity and nudity online might be considered a problem by some).

I like the way Live For Speed handles it, myself. No autodownloading of custom skins, so those who don't want ruditude on display don't get it, but the game comes with a couple of 'plain' skins (either just normal car or a couple of simple logos) and then you 'tint' them with any colour you wish. It doesn't take much bandwidth to say which exact shade of purple you want your car you to be. Well, 24 bits, to be precise, less than it would take to pass the custom license plate info (that Midtown doesn't do either, unfortunately).

Of course, I know plenty of people who would find a pink Ferrari more offensive than some Nissan with 'Bum' written down the side, but there you go.

If a GRIT host can lock out grenade/rocket launchers and a PGR2 host can limit a class, why can't a host be given the option to allow/disallow custom paint?

When I'm told that custom license plates can't be put online (although the game already supports it in single-player) because people might have rude things on their plates, I wonder whether that's the truth or a sop.

-j

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Nov 27 2003, 10:17 AM

If a GRIT host can lock out grenade/rocket launchers and a PGR2 host can limit a class, why can't a host be given the option to allow/disallow custom paint?

When I'm told that custom license plates can't be put online (although the game already supports it in single-player) because people might have rude things on their plates, I wonder whether that's the truth or a sop.

-j

I think that's kinda silly.

What's stopping people from yelling naughty things into their headsets?

You can mute them, of course. All they need is an option to disable custom plates if someone finds a liscense plate objectionable.