LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Cappa

Brink

I'll be honest, I hadn't heard much about this game until recently but I've seen the trailers and I've put my pre-order in for the 360. Who else is getting it?

Interested to try it but not enough to buy. There's a blitz of games I want to buy this month and June and this is one of the casualties.

Tried to get it from gamefly but did not get the game I had out back in time...will just have to save the open slot for LA Noire.

Very tempted but going to wait.

Still finishing Donkey Kong and Prince of Persia and I'd rather give something like Outland a quick shot first.

Yeah there are quite a bit of games coming out in the next few weeks and months though I didn't like Outland much and I'm in need of a shooter after giving up on both Crysis and Black Ops awhile ago so it's going to be between this and L.A. Noire next week as games I'll be playing.

I didn't like Outland much

Really? How much of it did you play? I'm absolutely loving it. It's a nice mix of Metroidvania, Strider and Ikaruga with a Tron like aesthetic. I reached the last boss last night and was getting my butt kicked so I needed a break. :) I should have it completed tonight and I'll post more thoughts in the thread.

Yeah there are quite a bit of games coming out in the next few weeks

It's a murderous two months on my wallet:

L.A. Noire

Red Faction: Armageddon

Duke Nukem Forever

Child of Eden

Alice: Madness Returns

Dungeon Siege III

Shadows of the Damned

F.E.A.R. 3

Call of Juarez The Cartel

inFAMOUS 2 (Hero Edition for me)

The bolded are all being bought. The others are optional at best for me which is disappointing as some of those titles I really want. I had the Duke Balls of Steel edition preordered for Nukem but cancelled it. I really want Red Faction as well but those other titles I want more. With the way games drop price so quickly anymore - I'll buy what I *must* play now and save the rest for sales.

I'll maybe download the full version of Outland and give it another shot, I mean I didn't hate it but it wasn't something I enjoyed alot either. I do see alot of people raving about it, maybe I'll give the trial another shot.

doh... this looks like Homefront all over again so many lack luster reviews.... may be the first ever game I return to Amazon :/

Yeah, Joystiq really clobbered it.

My wallet is relieved, but I was hoping for a good new shooter. Nothing to replace Monday Night Combat for me yet then :)

Yeah, Joystiq really clobbered it.

VE3D questions Joystiqs review of Brink - http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60202/Brink-Reviews-Are-A-Mixed-Bag-Some-Thoughts

Uh oh, time for some drama boys and girls. I felt that Joystiq's Brink review was fishy, it almost came off as if it was written by someone that had spent very little time with the game. I was also pretty sure that Griffin McElroy was one of the editors that I played in the media game with. So, I decided to do a little digging, and confirmed that I had played with him while he was under his Xbox Live gamertag called "The Pencil Rain".

General consensus from those that have played the game is that it's a lot of fun, but needs to be patched to fix some issues (ATI graphics card issues, 360 texture pop-in, etc.)

I've been playing the PC version from the hospital (yay for my second daughter being born!), and enjoying it. Gonna grab the 360 version as soon as I get some free time later this week. I liked ET:RtCW and TE:QW enough that I'm sure I'm really going to continue to enjoy it.

People who've played it on PC have said it's unplayable because of numerous crashes and lag, etc. There is some patch on the 360 already but I will wait this out until everything is fixed. I agree though, some of the critics "reviews" if you can call them that are absolutely atrocious and seem more about their opinion then actual content of the game, those that have played it do say it's fun but at times it is completely unplayable for the reasons I stated above.

Gametrailers review is by far the best and honest review of the game.

I preordered this for the 360 and am looking forward to FedEx showing up with it today. From reading some of the reviews it sounded like a lot of the people writing them are playing with bots and just complaining about how stupid they are. In my experience, bots are one of two things; stupid as all get out or insanely difficult. Personally, if playing with bots I would rather be able to stand a chance against them than just get my ass handed to me the whole time.

Hearing that there is a patch coming to sort out launch issues is great to hear, although for as many delays that this game has had I'm surprised there's as many issues as it seems there are. I just hope that enough people bought/preordered this to warrant future DLC as the premise and gameplay sounds pretty awesome.

I preordered this for the 360 and am looking forward to FedEx showing up with it today. From reading some of the reviews it sounded like a lot of the people writing them are playing with bots and just complaining about how stupid they are. In my experience, bots are one of two things; stupid as all get out or insanely difficult. Personally, if playing with bots I would rather be able to stand a chance against them than just get my ass handed to me the whole time.

Hearing that there is a patch coming to sort out launch issues is great to hear, although for as many delays that this game has had I'm surprised there's as many issues as it seems there are. I just hope that enough people bought/preordered this to warrant future DLC as the premise and gameplay sounds pretty awesome.

I think alot of people complaining about bots is because the single player is essentially multiplayer with bots. The single player doesn't give you some kind of new experience or anything like that from the multiplayer. I don't mind a game that is primarily all multiplayer at all but this is why the negative reviews as well.

Multiplayer-focused games like this are a bitch to review as they're so dependent on other player availability & network conditions.

I think alot of people complaining about bots is because the single player is essentially multiplayer with bots. The single player doesn't give you some kind of new experience or anything like that from the multiplayer. I don't mind a game that is primarily all multiplayer at all but this is why the negative reviews as well.

That's why I'm taking some of these reviews with a grain of salt. I guess Splash Damage should have spent more time with the AI if their entire game is a multiplayer experience; online or not. I would rather be playing with friends and whatnot than a bot anyway so it's kind of irrelevant to me. Although, if I were on PSN I guess the AI would be a reasonable complaint ;)

Ars is not reviewing the game:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/why-were-not-review-brink-and-why-you-shouldnt-buy-it-yet.ars

Unfortunately, the code arrived too late for us to play it for any significant amount of time, the state of the review code was such that I was uncomfortable rendering any kind of authoritative verdict, and there will soon be a patch released that may address most of my complaints. Or it could address none of them. The fact remains that the game reviewers have been playing for the past week will not be the same game you play at home, and that makes it impossible for me to do my job in an effective manner.

More at the link.

It was a lagfest for me on 360. I'll try again later.

Me, too. Almost took it back this morning, but will give it another shot today. I have until 9 PM before Redbox charges me another $2.