LCVG

All in One Remotes

Baiter

I'm currently eyeing up this one, but would be very interested in opinions on these. I've owned several through the years, but they've all fallen short of my expectations. I'm looking for a channel surfer basically, those beasts that you need to sit on your lap to use aren't for me. The all in one that came w/ my cable box would actually be acceptable, but there is no way to change the input source on my tv with it, so to view a dvd or play xbox I need to use a separate remote. :(

Those Kameleons look very cool, but I've read mostly bad reviews. The templates that light up for each device are unique and you can't alter them. I prefer a "hard-button" remote to touch-screens (the Kameleon has tactile buttons, but you'll need to glance at the screen to press them). It's really just a tarted-up Radio Shack One for All. I recently had to replace my remote since my daughter had taken to throwing it and knocked a resistor loose and I couldn't figure out where it was originally affixed. I had the RCA RCU-810B and thought it was a fantastic remote. I was even able to teach my wife how to use it! I bought the later version (811) and was disappointed (it dropped a couple of features and switched to three-number codes rather than four). I also tried a RS One for All, but it too wasn't as intuitive or comprehensive as the RCA. The 810B is also a JP1 remote, and you can attach a cable from your computer to the remote and totally remap and customize the buttons. I ended up just getting another RCA 810B from an amazon.com merchant and have ordered a JP1 cable from bluedo.com. bluedo.com also offers good deals on remote/JP1 cable combos. And remotecentral.com is THE place to go for remote control info.

I have a Home Theater Master MX-500. Absolutely love it. It is definitely NOT a two handed monster. Very easy setup and I love the backlight on it. I also love the ability to edit the text so that you can call buttons whatever you want and have yet to find anything it couldnt do.( I take that back, It wont work with my ceiling fan). My wife balked at paying $100 for a remote but now admits she loves that it got rid of the plethora of remotes. I dont think you would be disappointed.

I just use the one that came with my Pioneer 908RDS amp - its learning and everything, and has proper buttons rather than the fancy LCD touchscreen nonsense that I don't hold with.

If you can cope with that, then there are a couple of rather brilliant solutions for PalmOS; I use OmniRemote, but there are others.

I've been meaning to get a Pronto for some time now. I need a remote that can easily switch the modes on my projector. I hate having to press the input button 5 or 6 times to get to the Component input. From what I've seen the Pronto will let me go directly to the correct input. :) Now, I just need my new house and theater...

Glen

I'll third the MX-500. I had the Sony RM-AV3000, but using the Tivo with this remote was too much hassle. I bought the MX-500 to replace it and could not be happier. I bought a radio shack remote (forget the model, it is JP1 capable) to help program it. The radio shack is now the bedroom remote. As others have mentioned, look at Remote Central.

Another MX-500 owner here, actually I now have 2 of them! IMO, there simply isn't a better universal remote on the market at the $100 price point. Period.

Definitely check out Remote Central, and BlueDo. I got both of my MX-500's from them. (Actually, I got my first one from them when they were still called RRDeals.)

The RatShack remotes are good to have as well (I have the 15-1994), for the advanced codes, not to mention JP1, which I haven't even thought about trying yet.

Cheers.

J.

Originally posted by adamsappel+Nov 25 2003, 06:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamsappel @ Nov 25 2003, 06:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gigapower@Nov 25 2003, 06:05 PM

There is the new MX-700 coming out soon, i'm pretty interested in that one.

You can buy the MX-500/600/700/800 series at bluedo.com. [/b]

I bought my MX-500 last month at Bluedo , it was almost $20 cheaper than Amazon. Great remote.

I've had a pronto for awhile now and I haven't unpacked it since I moved into my house in february. The lack of physical buttons got extremely annoying. Now I just use my cable remote to do volume and channel. If I put a dvd in I have to walk over there to put it in anyways so I just swipe the buttons on the receiver to switch modes while I'm there.

Yep, I prefer a hard button remote such as the One For All type as well. Plus, they're cheaper...

I've got a Radio Shack 15-1994 & 15-2104 & they both control all 6 of my components perfectly. I like the 1994 better, but the backlight went out on it & they don't make it anymore. The replacement model 2104 is OK...just don't like the layout quite as much.

Originally posted by exile@Dec 5 2003, 12:22 PM

Ok I bought a Mx500 for my father in law from Bluedo. IF they screw up, I'm blaming it all on you guys for recommending them :D

That goes for me too. 8)

I do have a couple of questions though, and I won't be able to open this puppy until Christmas, so hopefully you'll entertain them.

Am I going to be able to use it for the xbox dvd player?

Is changing the aspect ratio one of the pre programmed functions on the remote? I'm constantly using this on my remote, as xbox = 16:9 view and back to regular tv and stretch mode. Now that I think of it, I could probably code a macro to change the tv input, and screen size w/ one touch, correct? :)

Originally posted by Baiter@Dec 5 2003, 12:39 PM

Am I going to be able to use it for the xbox dvd player?

Is changing the aspect ratio one of the pre programmed functions on the remote? I'm constantly using this on my remote, as xbox = 16:9 view and back to regular tv and stretch mode. Now that I think of it, I could probably code a macro to change the tv input, and screen size w/ one touch, correct? :)

The Xbox uses the standard RCA dvd codes, I believe. A macro would work great for changing your tv settings for Xbox play.

• 3 years later...