LCVG

Well here it comes... Premium downloadable content

JoeyN

I knew this was coming. This just seems like a big "screw you" to all of the people that already pay $50 a year for Xbox Live.

I'm just wondering how long it will be before there are more games like PSO and True Fantasy Online that will start charging us additional amounts to play their games online.

I think this is why Sony is winning some of the online battle. They don't give us all of the flash-bang extras of Live, but at least they aren't charging us.... yet.

Glen

While $4.99 isn't much, personally, I think this is a bad trend. What distinguishes future premium from non-premium (free) content? Was more development time required for the premium content?

I guess this is a large amount of new content and therefore is worthy of being labled as "premium":

Two new multiplayer game types - Check It and Take It - as well as three, new multiplayer maps: Secret Outpost, Magma Fields, and City Under Siege.

This just seems like a big "screw you" to all of the people that already pay $50 a year for Xbox Live.

It doesn't seem that way to me at all. If you want it, pay for it and download it. If you don't want it, don't. It's not like they're forcing you to download it.

I think this is why Sony is winning some of the online battle.

LOL. The battles over. Sony offers a haphazard and unrefined online component that, although it offers EA games, offers nothing more. I have a bunch of PS2 online games, and they're a pain in the ass to play online. Separate passwords and usernames for each game, cheaters, slow connections (56k'ers), no friends list, inability to send cross game invites (need I go on?) all make the PS2 online component very unfriendly, and sub-standard compared to Xbox Live. Microsoft's provided the template that all future consoles should follow in terms of online connectivity.

And as far as paying for content - I paid my 5 dollars for the DDR Pack, and I paid my 5 dollars for the MechAssault pack. For the hours of enjoyment I get out of each game, that's a small price to pay. And it's piqued my interest in playing MA more often now as well.

I dont see it as a big deal really. Mech assault has been out over a year with a lot of free downloadable content. More then any other game. The game is now $20 in stores and comes free in the live kit. I can see if it was a brand new $50 game that just came out , then i would see a problem

capt

It doesn't seem that way to me at all. If you want it, pay for it and download it. If you don't want it, don't. It's not like they're forcing you to download it.

With other online games on XBL (particularly Ghost Recon), anyone who downloads patches or content can no longer host for people who haven't grabbed the content. I know with the previous Mechassault content, you HAD to have it to play games online with people who had grabbed the content. It affects the "baseline" if that makes sense.

Actually on Mech assault if you were playing a game type everyone in the room had you could play. If someone didnt dl a game type they couldnt. But they could play the other game types/maps with each other. On GR :IT it was if people didnt have maps they couldnt play any game mode with the other players at all

capt

I knew this was coming

...and Microsoft never tried to hide it. There was talk of pay-to-play content as far back as the release of Unreal Championship. I think many folks would do well to read the XBL TOS. Its an eye-opener.

I'm just wondering how long it will be before there are more games like PSO and True Fantasy Online that will start charging us additional amounts to play their games online.

It would be silly to think that they won't considering the genre. Lets keep things in focus. You describe two games there. One of which already has an per month charge to play (PSO) and True Fantasty Live which is an MMORPG which is all but guarenteed to have a fee associated just as Final Fantasy XI and Everquest Online does. Premium content and fee based online games are two very different subjects.

LOL. The battles over. Sony offers a haphazard and unrefined online component that, although it offers EA games, offers nothing more. I have a bunch of PS2 online games, and they're a pain in the ass to play online. Separate passwords and usernames for each game, cheaters, slow connections (56k'ers), no friends list, inability to send cross game invites (need I go on?) all make the PS2 online component very unfriendly, and sub-standard compared to Xbox Live. Microsoft's provided the template that all future consoles should follow in terms of online connectivity.

I'm sure many here are passionate about XBL but lets not automatically proclaim the online battles over here gents. As I try to note as often as possible we are here for open minded discussions and the PS2's online library cannot easily be dismissed nor can EA's backing be overlooked over either (say what you will but EA is the head honcho in the third party world my friends). Nor can you easily look away from the PS2's growing online presence and userbase.

I think a majority would easily agree XBL is a far more userfriendly and consistent interface but lets keep things on track and not allow this to be derailed into an XBL vs PS2 battle. We have had our share and don't need to relive it.

Back on topic. More than anything I'd be interested to see what kind of profit outlook MS sees for Live. I am fairly certain allowing the 50$/year sub fee to continue was not exactly what they had planned (thought it was the right decision to make.). Downloadable content or premium content I would imagine is a key component to MS's ability to make some kind of profit from the Live endeavor. I personally don't have a problem with it. I don't have to download the content but if its worth the money to me, I have no problem. Especially if it helps keep live at 50/year.

<---already downloaded his 5 songs for DDR Ultramax

and not allow this to be derailed into an XBL vs PS2 battle

I apologize in advance if that's what this thread becomes. I didn't mean for it to turn that way. I love my PS2, don't get me wrong, but for online play, my Xbox is where it's at. And on that note, I'll leave the though process behind us. We have travelled down the PS2 vs. Xbox road before, and it's never pretty.

Back to the issue at hand. I have no problem paying for "Premium" content, as long as it ADDS to the game, and isn't necessary to get full enjoyment out of it. If I'm paying for a "patch", then I have a problem with it. WIth older games (such as MA) I'll gladly pay for some premium content so I can get interested in the game again. Adding content to older games is a great idea, and keeps interest in the title.

I've always assumed we'd have to pay for some content down the line, as MS has always had that option avbailable to them. $5 USD isn't a lot depending on the content, and I feel that both Premium content downlaods have been worth that already. Even if I suck at DDR and at MA. :D

I hope PGR2's DLC won't cost something
I read a couple of times now that PGR2 is supposed to get premium content. I guess if MA's premium content will not totally backfire PGR2 will get premium content.

I just really hope that the premium content will really be worth the money. I wouldn't like to pay for each new car (but I think that's unlikely).

MS did a very good job of picking a spot for premium content. They have supported MA with three free downloads and allowed the true fans to realize how much they love the game. Those who still play MA will jump all over this. Many more will renew their interest.

Good job, and a fair price for the offering. Plus, no new disk to sit in a landfill for the next six generations or more.