LCVG

XIII - Impressions?

Zathras

Played through the 1st few missions and well.. it's ok, as reported pretty much everywhere the graphics and comic book style are great, i much prefer the cut scenes in this game to Grabbed By The Ghoulies. The gameplay just leaves me feeling a bit empty, it feels like an FPS by numbers.. nothing really stands out so far. Maybe later on it will pick up but my impression at present is it aint a patch on Halo or going further back Half Life.

Too bad. I was really looking forward to this. I became worried after it just kept getting pushed back, and back. I think it was first supposed to be released in September!

And then for some reason the XBOX demo was never released, which was very disappointing. Only the PS2 demo came out, and I've never heard an explanation as to why. I did manage to get the sountrack giveaway, which I highly recommend.

I think I'm still going to give it a shot on the XBOX. I really enjoyed the demo for the PC. Love the look, style and music.

I'm having a lot of fun with it (of course I was dying for a new FPS). In terms of gameplay there's really nothing new but the art and the comic style of storytelling is unique enough to make it very interesting.

It's the only game that made me put down both Mario Kart and Prince of Persia. That's got to be saying something.

I ended up picking it up my self and enjoyed the hour or so I played. I'm wondering if they made some changes from the preview/demo copies - some reviews have been on the web for a month or so saying that the AI was impossible to beat - so far I haven't run into these eagle-eye-never-miss-a-shot-opponents.

Okay, I take it back. I shouldn't have worried so much.

I'm only through maybe six levels or so, but I'm really having fun with this game!

First off, if you like your games as realistic as possible, stay away from this game. I'm referrering to the look, not the gameplay. Get Rainbow Six 3 instead. But if you liked Jet Set Radio or Wind Waker, and you like FPS (or maybe even if you don't), you should give this a try. But keep in mind that like Camp, I was looking forward to having a new FPS.

I think the graphics are beautiful. VERY crisp in 480p on my set, with colors that really pop out. I love the whole comic book look. It also runs nice and smoooooth. The comic book theme adds a lot to the fun of the game as well. It's very rewarding after getting that great headshot with your crossbow to see the panels at the top of the screen appear to show close-ups of your victim being impailed and falling to his demise with "NOOOooooo" animated across the screen. Gruesome, but rewarding! And like Zathras, I haven't come across any of the reported "highly difficult super-shot enemies".

The controls are great and can be customized for lefties if so needed. There's also good options such as auto aim on/off, and aim sensitivity. There are may weapons to choose from even if you discount the ability to use found objects against opponents such as bottles, chairs, ashtrays, shovels... Lockpicks and grapnel hooks also add a good variety to the gameplay. Another cool aspect is that you can not only obtain body armor, but helmets as well, giving you three health numbers. One for your overall health and the other two for your armor and helmet. When opponents have helmets and you shoot at their heads, you'll have to shoot off their helmets before getting your headshot. Cool!

I'm finding the story very involving so far. Much more than I thought I would. The cutscenes and gameplay blend together at times. Because of the cell shading, I've realized a few moments after a cut scene had ended that it was now time for me to move! At the start of the game, you wake up on a beach with no memory. It reminds me of Boune Identity as one of the first things you do is go to a bank to look in your safe deposit box...

And the music! I love the jazz/techno fusion soundtrack. Very cool, fresh and different. It really does add to the overall experience of the game. On a sidenote, David Duchovny so far is just "okay" as the voice of XIII. Maybe I'm only noticing because he's such a big-name actor for a videogame voice, I'm not sure. Maybe he'll get better the further into the game I get. Adam West is good. But hey, he's Batman!

How's the LIVE component of the game?

One thing I haven't tried out yet is the online game. I've been too caught up in the offline game. I plan on checking it out later tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT: Tried out a few 'deathmatch' games online. I didn't notice any lag in the couple I played. One of the games had a guy in first place who had something like 248 kills with 16 deaths. Riiiight. Everyone else had normal stats. I hope online cheating isn't starting to seep into LIVE, but I really don't think this guy was legit.

Between this and Max Payne 2, it appears that Erik is having some sort of sadistic thirst for shooting people. Especially when you consider how much he enjoys those close-ups of people getting impaled.

Video games rot the mind, indeed.

Heheh.

Just bugging ya, Erik. Glad to hear you're enjoying XIII.

I'm stuck.

Anyone get past the submarine stealth mission yet? I just got on board the sub and I'm supposed to find the radio room without being seen. I'm finding it impossible to manuever through the sub without being spotted. Killing people doesn't seem to work as you can't shoot through the floors. Any tips?

*update* Nevermind...I got through it.

If I had a problem with this game it's that you can never tell if the designers want a level to be a stealth level or an all out action level. Some have a bit of both. This was one of those ambiguous levels. It forces you to find the right balance of all out killing and stealth. Rather frustrating the first couple times through.

He should play Manhunt. ;)

So are you enjoying Manhunt? Most of the reviews I've read have been so-so. I have no problem with violence in videogames (obviously) if the game is good. But so far, Manhunt only seems average at best (from the reviews). But as we can tell from this and past threads, that reviews are to be taken with a grain or bucket of salt...

If I had a problem with this game it's that you can never tell if the designers want a level to be a stealth level or an all out action level. Some have a bit of both. This was one of those ambiguous levels. It forces you to find the right balance of all out killing and stealth. Rather frustrating the first couple times through.

I agree. Although I think I've now finally got a hang of how the levels should play out. Some obvious keys are looking at your objectives and what kind of weapons you're given. If they give me a silenced 9mm and a crossbow, it's probably going to be a stealth type mission.

Like some other people over in the 'stealth thread', I'm not too keen on 'stealth' games. Though I do enjoy the odd one if it's done well, and doesn't feel like a test of patience. I think this game has pretty much got it right. I've slipped up and alerted guards numerous times, but if I can get out my machine gun and mow the guards down before they hit the alert button or call for help on the walkie-talkie, it's all good. That is how most stealth games should be, in my book.

Ok I played a bit more of the single player game and I'm hooked. Lots of interesting plot twists and freaky things.

And Kain Rising got the game too so we tried out a bit of XBL finally. It is pretty good - there are Deathmatch, Team DM, Sabotage, CTF, and Domination modes so there is a lot to keep you busy. It seemed pretty smooth with some ocassional jumpiness - could be just a connection issue though. The main gripe so far is the XBL interface could use some work - you can't switch maps without exiting the game. That option - or just random maps - is really needed. Hopefully they can add it (fingers crossed).

I got stuck in the submarine level before having to return my rental copy. It's unfortunate really, as I was enjoying the game, but after 5 or 6 restarts of that level I was frustrated to the point of being ready to chuck the controller and am no longer sure I want to rent the game again to finish it.

• 3 weeks later...

And thanks to Gigapower for the secret to doing spoilers for now:

for those that have played through or want to know how it ends Highlight below:

Light spoiler version:

To Be Continued . . . .

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggh

the long heavy spoiler version:

Ok big conspiracy slowly unravels though the game and you end up killing most of the 20 conspirators.

So you finally thwart the big plot to take over America and the president is kidnapped by the SPADS (bad guys). You save him and go to a party on his houseboat.

Fireworks start and you go to get President Sheridan so he can see them. You see him suspiciously go in a door and then hear him in a room attacking one of the surviving conspirators. You go to his office and hear a radio transmission from one of the baddies calling for Number I. Sheridan walks up to the door with two soldiers. You think "oh there must be one last boss battle, cool!" and it pops up "To be continued..." in the corner (not even in comic book style - just plain text) and the credits roll...

This sucks because it doesn't really have a sense of closure. They could have ended it with a "Whew America is saved, but will we ever find out who number I is?" vibe (maybe even hinting at Sheridan) and I would have been fine with it.

I don't know the numbers on it but I know it's getting very little chatter around the net so unless it is huge overseas I bet we won't see a XIII-II.