LCVG

Power Player?

Carlucci

So I was at the mall today and in one of those carts in the middle of the Mall they were selling the "Power Player". It has two controllers, a small light gun, and seems to contain ROMS of over 120 arcade games, NES games, and other system games.

I took a look and the ROM of PacMan, Galaga, and others looked good enough to fool me. I checked out Mappy and it seemed like the clock was set way too fast, but other than that it was dead-on.

I did an internet search immediately upon returning home and found THIS, which will allow you to see what I'm talking about.

They are asking $50 for it at the mall with a no-return policy. I didn't bite, but I was wondering if any of you have heard of/bought this.

Let me know if you have any knowledge of this. Is it on the up-and-up, or are the ROMS bogus?

Carlos.

They are asking $50 for it at the mall with a no-return policy.

The above, plus the "not available in stores" slapped on the ad smacks of illegal ROMage to me, along the lines of those old 50-in-1 cartridges they used to sell for the NES.

Considering that it is VERY unlikely that the rights to Pac-Man and Galaga have been given up for such a product, I think we're looking at a product that is not being sold in any store because it is violatin' copyrights all over the place.

Considering that it is VERY unlikely that the rights to Pac-Man and Galaga have been given up for such a product, I think we're looking at a product that is not being sold in any store because it is violatin' copyrights all over the place.

I totally agree. -but they're selling these at those tacky kiosks in every local mall. One I saw had what looked like Mario 2 on it. I can't believe Nintendo would allow this. I tried to look for any changes...maybe it's "similar" to Mario but not exactly the same game (still on thin ice, I know) but didn't have time to really watch.