LCVG

Grand Theft Auto 5 (360/PS3, Xbox One, PS4) - Coming to PS5/Series X November 11th, 2021

Cappa

Was it announced or is this just a logo from a fan?

it's legit

Previous post

Rockstar Teases Grand Theft Auto V, Trailer Coming Next Week

gtav2-300x270.jpg

Rockstar officially revealed Grand Theft Auto V Tuesday, posting the game’s logo on its website along with a note that the debut trailer will arrive on Nov. 2.

Rockstar has shipped over 114 million total units of the popular open-world series since it was first introduced in 1997. The most recent spinoff, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, received glowing reviews when it was released for handheld systems in 2009.

Grand Theft Auto III, considered by many game critics and scholars to be a seminal part of videogame history, made headlines when it was first released in Oct. 2001. The game’s detailed open world and high production values made it an addictive, satisfying experience to explore the streets of New York-inspired Liberty City, shooting pedestrians and destroying vehicles in your wake. While other games often gave players important choices, Grand Theft Auto III gave them an entire world, stuffed to the brim with people to meet and places to see. For many gamers, this was an unprecedented experience.

Though Grand Theft Auto III was not the first open-world game, it was certainly the most influential, inspiring countless other games over the past decade. Some have used the snarky phrase “Grand Theft Auto clone” to describe the plethora of open-world games that came in its wake.

Despite, or perhaps because of its immense popularity, Grand Theft Auto has become the center of many controversies over the past decade. Anti-gaming advocates have pinned the Mature-rated series as a poster child for all things wrong with videogames, mostly thanks to its realistic depiction of drugs, violence and prostitution.

Back in 2005, Rockstar landed in some hot water when hackers spilled the beans on “Hot Coffee,” a locked minigame in Grand Theft Auto III that depicted main character CJ engaging in multiple R-rated sex positions with a girlfriend. Rockstar said it had never intended for the minigame to be seen by players, and a resulting slew of lawsuits cost parent company Take-Two Interactive quite a bit of change.

Though we don’t know anything about Grand Theft Auto V yet, I’ll take a wild guess and predict that there will be big guns, fast cars and plenty of angry protesters.

Looking forward to seeing what they choose to do. Other games have come out post-GTA and managed to outdo the original ridiculousness of it, and other games have done the sandbox thing better than GTA4 did. GTA4 was fun and everything, but had some serious flaws when it came down to mission pacing and endlessly grinding side activities that weren't actually that fun. I'd really like to see them nail this game though-it could be fantastic.

As much as some of the mission design meant I got stuck and gave up, I respect GTA4 for finding its own more serious niche than Saints Row's hyper-insane nonsense. If nothing else, the wonderful satirical fun of the previous generations wouldn't sit well with the graphical style they developed, and that style is just amazing.

My only surprise is that they've gone straight to the 'five', rather than building a new city on the same generation of console and using the name of that city. Guess they've got something big lined up...

Well I think RDR was a huge step up from GTA IV. With RDR they fixed some of the negatives of GTA IV and I think for the most part, the formula worked. If they can build off of what they accomplished with RDR and add something new and exciting this could have the potential to be another "game changer"

I respect GTA4 for finding its own more serious niche than Saints Row's hyper-insane nonsense.

Funny. I respect Saints Row for filling that hyper-insane nonsense void that GTAIV left. The type of insanity that made early GTA titles entertaining. I've never been a huge fan of the series but GTAIV was so utterly mundane to me. Then again, most Rockstar open world games do very little for me but GTAIV stood out as being that much more forgettable in comparison to its peers.

*beep* *beep*

"Cousin, you want go bowling!?!"

"Cousin, you want go out to eat?"

*beep* *beep*

"Hey, you want to go out on a date?"

No, fuck off and let me replay this entire fucking mission from the start again since one asshole in the corner killed me 85% of the way through!

Yes, I realize I'm in the minority with my opinions of the game. I get that there are many that love its style of gameplay and the stories it presents but I'll take Saint's Row hyper-insane "nonsense" any day of the week over GTA's "serious" niche.

Yes, I realize I'm in the minority with my opinions of the game. I get that there are many that love its style of gameplay and the stories it presents but I'll take Saint's Row hyper-insane "nonsense" any day of the week over GTA's "serious" niche.

Nope, I'm with you. Saints row just got to be more fun than GTA. I'll take Insurance Fraud dives over going bowling any day of the week :)

Now, that's not to say that the serious, story based GTA has no place in the world. I liked a bunch of the story stuff in GTA4, but they need to get back to what made GTA great in the beginning. For example, in GTA3, there was a particular mission that I remember giving me a lot of grief, because you had to cross a fairly busy street to get into a mansion, and enemies would start streaming in from both directions making it really tough to get through. Solution-before the mission, park a bus across the street to block traffic! In the later games, all of this stuff got instanced away, which took away some of the opportunities for crazy open-world solutions to problems. Instead, GTA became a big open world that connected up a series of scripted encounters, rather than something where a story was advanced in a living city. The focus also became the size of the city and not the density, which meant missions where you'd spend 5 minutes driving from A to B while they filled in with (interesting the first time) dialogue between your characters. Then you'd fail the mission, and have to repeat that driving section, which became a LOT less interesting the third or fourth time. I guess the point is that you can still take the story for the game seriously, but have the ability to really affect the world at the same time. You don't have to have a jetpack (or even a rocket launcher) to do it, but how about the ability to alter the world before a mission my blowing up a car, which forces a police barricade to be set up for the next 30 minutes, which affects the ability of enemies to reinforce an objective?

So, San Andreas again. Yawn. I just hope the first dozen hours aren't as phenomenally bad as they were last time we were there.

Well, I don't mind San Andreas(California) at all and I just have a feeling we won't be restricted to just Calfornia, wouldn't be surprised if we can travel to Mexico and as far as Las Vegas in this one.

• Romier S changed the title to Grand Theft Auto 5 (360/PS3, Xbox One, PS4) - Coming to PS5/Series X November 11th, 2021