LCVG

Top Spin is headed for a trade-in...

Chris The Rock

I hate it when there are just too many good games out at once. When that happens, there are always "casulties" - and one such casulty this time around is Top Spin Tennis.

Top Spin is the best tennis game I've ever played. I was a huge fan of Virtua Tennis - and in my opinion, Top Spin is clearly the better game.

However, the recent crop of AAA titles (many of which are also excellent XBL games) has forced me to prioritize. I'm afraid Top Spin is going to EB for trade in credit toward Max Payne 2.

Anyone else feel this way about Top Spin, or are all of you hooked on it?

No way will I trade this game. I totally agree with what you're saying, too many good games, but when a game is this good I know I'll come back to it. If anything, one reason I'm not playing this game constantly is because I know that I will still want to play it months from now, heck, even years.

Same here. I sold it for what I paid for it ($35). If it had a straightforward online arcade mode that didn't use developed characters, I'd have probably kept it.

Basically, I want Virtua Tennis online, but Top Spin is still cool...but I don't have the time to develop a character (I would if it hadn't come out the same time as so many other great games). Once I slow down on Links and other games, if I have time for Top Spin in a few months I'll buy it again (it will likely be down to $20-$30 by then).

I don't understand the 'time to develop characters' thing, as in Top Spin it's very easy to max out a character. I started a new character and had him maxed out in one day. It's a different philosophy from VT, where you can spend months and months of frequent play and still not having everything maxed out. (actually, I never maxed out my character in VT)

I'm not challenging you, just wondering if you played it enough to notice that...or just don't agree with my assessment.

I don't understand the 'time to develop characters' thing, as in Top Spin it's very easy to max out a character. I started a new character and had him maxed out in one day. It's a different philosophy from VT, where you can spend months and months of frequent play and still not having everything maxed out. (actually, I never maxed out my character in VT)

I'm not challenging you, just wondering if you played it enough to notice that...or just don't agree with my assessment.

How can I spend a day to max out a Top Spin character when I'm spending 90% of my available gaming time playing Links and the remaining 10% playing PGR2? That isn't going to change anytime soon.

On top of that, the game has more subtleties and takes longer to master than VT. One can master a game without maxing out a character...many people who mastered the game simply lost interest in the career mode of VT.

And I'm getting damned sick of these Live games not having an online 'Arcade' mode where everybody just chooses from stock characters and does not use a character they developed. I want a 'pick up and play' sports mode. Games that only allow you to use developed characters bias the games towards gamers that have more spare time, not necessarily more skill. I'm sure you don't agree with me, but I can admit there are different kinds of gamers...can you? Let the games address the varying needs/wants.

Anyhow, this borders on going off-topic. Despite my minor criticisms of Top Spin, if it came out 3 months ago I would have played the hell out of it. It came out at the wrong time. So some of us are selling/trading it. We'll pick it up cheaper later if we have more time to dedicate to it.

Actually I do, I just didn't understand where you were coming from. Now I do.

I just re-read my post and I probably came off as a little grouchy. Sorry if I got a bit overly argumentative. :)

I'd just like to see online sports game that offer two main online modes...'Career', and 'Arcade'. That's all.

And like I said, Top Spin basically came out at the wrong time (for me).

Originally posted by Beer Monkey@Nov 27 2003, 03:28 PM

I just re-read my post and I probably came off as a little grouchy. Sorry if I got a bit overly argumentative. :)

And once again I see a comment here that I rarely see elsewhere. Yet another reason to be thankful for the type of people who make up LCVG's membership. It gives me a warm fuzzy, it does.

-j

Originally posted by Beer Monkey@Nov 27 2003, 03:18 PM

And I'm getting damned sick of these Live games not having an online 'Arcade' mode where everybody just chooses from stock characters and does not use a character they developed. I want a 'pick up and play' sports mode. Games that only allow you to use developed characters bias the games towards gamers that have more spare time, not necessarily more skill.

You're able to use the supplied characters in Top Spin in the online mode. Are you talking about for XSN play?

• 1 month later...

I was looking for Top Spin reviews and I came across one of our own Adam Tyner's at videogametalk.com. I love this line, which I would never expect to see in a tennis game review:

I went into the game with my familarity with tennis limited to having seen Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train and that goofy Enrique Iglasias video where he slobbers all over Anna Kournikova.

Great stuff, Adam! :lol: