LCVG
DaveC

The Last of Us - (PS3, PS4) - Remastered Edition Announced for the PS4 (1080p/60) Coming 7/29/14

I have the feeling that by the end of August, there might be a flood of these things available on Ebay and CL.  People buying it and quickly realizing that it's pretty much the same game they playes on the PS3 last year, so they try to flip it fast.  Then there's the rest of us that actually appreciate the tech specs. We will see. 

I'm another one of these that have stayed away from spoilers, reviews, and have never played the original in anticipation of this one.  I'm going to give it a month however.  Heck.... I've waited this long.

The Last of Us if you're looking for an opinion. Twin Peaks is on Netflix if you want to watch it short term until you can get the set. :)

30fps Lock apparently enables far superior quality shadows. 

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/731411-the-30-fps-lock-in-the-last-of-us-remastered-enables-higher-quality-shadows-in-game

We’ve just received our review copy of The Last of Us Remastered, and can confirm that there’s a benefit to playing with the 30 frames per second lock enabled (accessible via the Display Options). If you enable this option, not only will the frame rate never dip below 30 throughout your experience, but “higher quality shadows in-game” will be enabled.

Okay. So what I was teasing is that the 30 FPS lock in The Last of Remastered not only maintains a perfect framerate, but enables 'higher-quality shadows in-game'. And by higher-quality shadows they mean NOTICEABLY better shadows. The game looks better with the option enabled.

Be curious to see how much of a difference truly exists. I'll still take 60fps over marginally improved shadow quality.

Ellie and Joel, then? Meh. I already saw their story as intended. I can't say that excites me at all. Had it been a film set in the same universe with different characters, I might be more inclined to get hyped.

Ellie and Joel, then? Meh. I already saw their story as intended. I can't say that excites me at all.

All a movie version of The Last of Us can do is remove the interactive aspect of the game and delete all of the supporting background materials the player discovers throughout the game. What does it add?

Maybe I will be surprised, but considering how cinematic the game is, I'm not sure why I would want to watch a film version of Joel and Ellie's story.

Agreed, Jeff. Well said. 

Back to the game, ND have detailed the photo mode:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/25/the-last-of-us-remastered-photo-mode-detailed/#sf3861256

Photo Mode is activated through the pause screen. You can activate it by simply tapping L3 to freeze the action in-game as long you aren’t in a cutscene. For a clear description of how it works, check out a tutorial from Jeff Negus, our in-house editor and videographer:

Camera control, field of view, and depth of field adjustments will help you frame the perfect shot. Aesthetically, you can add one of ten different color filters and adjust its intensity. You can choose to give your photo a vignette or even select from a selection of eleven different frames. If you like the look of film grain, you can add that as well. There are a ton of options for you to explore.

There's a video of the mode at the link with new gameplay footage. It's included in the day one patch for the game. My HDD is going to be full. :)

So Maisie Williams is in talks to play Ellie in the film according to Raime. That would be Arya from Game of Thrones.

Inspired casting there if they get her I have to say. Get the Hound to play Joel!

30fps Lock apparently enables far superior quality shadows. 

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/731411-the-30-fps-lock-in-the-last-of-us-remastered-enables-higher-quality-shadows-in-game

Be curious to see how much of a difference truly exists. I'll still take 60fps over marginally improved shadow quality.

Very nice that they give two good options to choose from.  

I have it preordered, but we are going to be short handed at work for the next two weeks.  Plus I have a first draft to write due in three weeks.  Don't know how much time I'll have to dive in to this.  Really looking forward to it when I do though.

ibojKCm4PedVbF.gif

Noticeable but that isn't worth losing 60fps over for me. Nice that the option is there, though. 30fps lock for screens.:)

The Digital Foundry blah blah blah...

Principally, we're looking at 1080p resolution at 60fps in both single and multi-player, a 4x detail increase to texture maps and a 2x resolution boost to shadow maps. Texture streaming is no longer required owing to the PS4's prodigious RAM, and there's longer draw distances, better LOD and improved particle effects. In essence, Naughty Dog has scaled up the original game to full HD and boosted assets to match, while doubling frame-rate.

Where existing higher quality assets are available (for example, cut-scene character models) they are utilised, but there's little evidence to suggest that Naughty Dog has upgraded any of the environments, or boosted geometry. First impressions aren't actually that impressive - The Last of Us' prologue initially has you in control of an unenhanced character model and despite the mooted enhancements to texture and shadow quality, the overall impression is that next-gen is actually much more of a leap than you'd give it credit for. Geometry quality is unimpressive, environment detail is relatively spartan and this section does little to showcase the game at its best.

It's also apparent that there's still a yawning chasm between the quality of the pre-rendered cinematics - almost certainly rendered at a much higher resolution, then downscaled - and the game itself, resulting in a jarring leap between FMV and gameplay not helped by a small pause between them. Uncharted's cinematics were rendered in-engine but were designed to look like gameplay with seamless transitions, making for a more consistent experience and that is lacking here. What's clear is that Naughty Dog has completely re-rendered each cut-scene though - they would have been 30fps on PS3 to match the gameplay, and they're running at 60 here, with compression artefacts only really a noticeable problem on very dark scenes.

...while its last-gen origins are at times obvious, there's no doubt that The Last of Us Remastered can look simply sensational. The boost in resolution combined with the enhanced textures emphasises the sheer class of Naughty Dog's artwork at all times. The contextual animation system and stunning performance capture is still up there with the best, and it is only enhanced by the move from 30 to 60 frames per second. The more detail-rich exterior scenes, enhanced with longer view distances, look especially beautiful bathed in the ambient lighting and god-rays from a setting sun. While effects work can look a little basic in places, the higher precision marries up perfectly in most cases with the full HD resolution, while some effects - such as water reflections - put a lot of full-blooded PS4 and Xbox One titles to shame.

The game does not hold a locked 60fps, not surprising, but drops seem infrequent and still above 45fps. Much more here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-the-last-of-us-remastered