LCVG
DaveC

The Last of Us - (PS3, PS4) - Remastered Edition Announced for the PS4 (1080p/60) Coming 7/29/14

I feel the same, though would extend a similar sentiment to Bioshock Infinite (though for different reasons, both are immensely strong dramatic narratives in gaming and I felt spoilt that we received both games in the same year ).  

I found though that the violence of the gameplay in Bioshock did not really go well with the story... like you had two distinct separate elements 

as opposed to The Last of US where the gameplay and story was cohesive.

Well, some eighteen months after having acquired the PS4 version I finally revisited the game. It remains an immensely satisfying experience and it was great to finally have the chance to play Left Behind which I never purchased on PS3.

I've been considering a ninth play through in the near future.:)

I found though that the violence of the gameplay in Bioshock did not really go well with the story... like you had two distinct separate elements 

as opposed to The Last of US where the gameplay and story was cohesive.

I don't disagree at all. That's really why I felt the want to say that both have standout narrative strengths in gaming but for different reasons. Infinite's story is a great one with a spectacular payoff, but Last of Us unquestionably tells its story better through the experience of playing the game itself beginning to end. Both gameplay and the story in The Last of Us are so extraordinarily entwined. 

As an aside, I'd like to know how many hours of Romier gets a night.

I'm assuming you mean to ask how much sleep he gets. I've met Romier. He's actually not a person. He's a machine with an organic exterior that helps him blend into the human world easier. He plays games at night while everyone else is sleeping and recharges his battery at the same time.

Not gonna lie. I was pretty freaked out when he got out an exact-o-knife, cut around his forearm and then peeled the skin off to reveal the mechanical hand underneath.

I'm assuming you mean to ask how much sleep he gets. I've met Romier. He's actually not a person. He's a machine with an organic exterior that helps him blend into the human world easier. He plays games at night while everyone else is sleeping and recharges his battery at the same time.

Not gonna lie. I was pretty freaked out when he got out an exact-o-knife, cut around his forearm and then peeled the skin off to reveal the mechanical hand underneath.

That's word for word what I expected as a response.

Romier, is that you? Are you the man. You're the man aren't you?

Um, no:). I love the game to tears but not that much.

HDR works right now. Downloaded the update and played through to a little before reaching Robert.

Hot damn HDR does some wonderous stuff. Light/dark separation is crazy. That alone allows the player to see every little speck of the spore cloud during the underground section. The sun off in the distance when you reach the exterior is no longer a blob of light but concentric circle wth a series of moving shades ending in god rays. It looks beautiful. The only downside is that the aliasing is even more pronounced. I can't wait to see this is 4K!

• Like 1

New Patch with more PS4 Pro options... and also 1080p supersampling mode is back apparently:

https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/the-last-of-us/the-last-of-us-general.topic.html/the_last_of_us_remas-ynl8.html

We've just launched a new update for The Last of Us Remastered and The Last of Us Remastered: Left Behind that introduces expanded display settings for players using a PlayStation 4 Pro system. Starting today, PS4 Pro players will be able to select from new menu options and presets that provide additional configurations for resolution, framerate, and shadow quality. These new display settings options offer greater flexibility to PS4 Pro players connected to a 4K display, as well as traditional HD displays through supersampling. Additionally, today's patches resolve bugs and exploits identified in Factions Multiplayer.

So going through the options on PS4 Pro:

Favoring screen resolution

1800p with a Target of 60fps (not solid)

Normal Shadow quality

If you toggle 30 fps lock

2160p with 30 fps target

high quality shadows

Favoring Framerate

1080p with solid 60fps

high quality shadows

I played through the game at 1800p/60fps after the last patch that removed supersampling and corrected a slew of performance issues.  That 60fps target is pretty damned solid. One or two minor dips at most and the preferred method of playing of playing the game, IMO.

The 30fps lock has never felt right for the game and after playing at 60..

I just can't. The difference in image quality is not substantial enough from 1800p to 2160p to sacrifice the huge increase in control response/playability.

• Like 1

I've been thinking of restarting this but, with the good possibility of upgrading to a 4K tv this Christmas, I'll hold off for now.

Lessons from the Screenplay talks to Neil Druckman about The Last of Us and the art of writing stories for video games. Well worth your time. 

Troy and Nolan are on part 9 of their play through and it’s the

Henry/Sam death scene with the cut to the next season

. Go to about 53:11 for the scene. Someone hug Nolan!

Played through the game damn near 10 times and that scene still gets me.:/ Game of the Decade man. 

• Like 1