LCVG

Photography (hardware & technical discussion thread)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top tip: even if it seems to be working fine, don’t put your wet camera away in your wet bag, throw it in the boot of the car and forget it until morning. Currently waiting to see if the dehumidifier

Oh, I know all about big raptors; we have one at home.    

For example, here's one I edited earlier today, also taken with an XTi while at Warner Bros. yesterday:   Tower Guard by Iain L, on Flickr   Trying to do something like that in Picasa will just

Posted Images

Have brushed up on Sony A7S III rumours and that sounds like it could be quite compelling on the video front. It's said to have a completely new passive cooling system boasting no overheating or recording time limits. Interesting if true.

A7s III reveal will be on the 28th:

teaser.png

https://alphauniverse.com

The rumoured specs are:

• New 12MP sensor with fast readout
  • records FHD 240fps, 4k120fps 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K120fps raw over HDMI
  • 600mbps bitrate
  • Base ISO 160 for S-LOG3
  • no Dual ISO
  • Max ISO 409600 (video)
  • 16bit RAW output
  • Sony claims 15 stops dynamic range
  • world’s highest resolution new 9.44 million dot EVF (QXGA resolution)
  • new kind of passive (noise free) cooling system with a mesh on the side to let air in??? (Camera still weather sealed)
  • no overheating, no recording time limits
  • UHSII card support
  • Looks pretty similar to a Sony A7rIV.
  • fully articulating screen like the one used by the Sony ZV-1.

Haven't seen any rumour hinting at whether their colour profiling is going to move over to their 'Venice' colour science. It would cause a positive stir if it did.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Camp said:
  • no Dual ISO

What is that?

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/dual-native-iso-explained/

33 minutes ago, Camp said:
  • Sony claims 15 stops dynamic range

Holy crap! I've been away from the photo game for a bit but that's insane.

I'd be VERY surprised if they hit 15 in practice if that rumour is true to be honest. We'll see.

It fascinates me that Sony would still rather put this tech into a mirrorless body and not just a small form factor dedicated video camera as the A7s series seems to meet the very definition of video camera first, stills cameras second. 

I'm definitely very interested to see the new A7s. If it lives up to the rumoured specs, and if the price is more competitive than A7s models of the past (Sony have apparently said they are considerate of what Black Magic are offering for the low price point), then it really could top the list of video options I'd consider. If they do add better colour science to it as well, then it could be an absolute winner. It would be like having a scaled down version of their VENICE cinema camera.

I've no need to get anything this year of course. If I do want to do anything quick and experimental in the meantime then the video on the X100v is actually very good. 

I have 0 experience points in taking landscape style shots, but really pleased with how this one came out especially with having something to work with in the foreground. 

DSC_2562_01.jpg

35mm, f/9, 1/40s, 5000 ISO

I'm thinking biggest room for improvement would have been a lower ISO?

These are the mountains of North Carolina. 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I don't know. You'd have had to have opened up the aperture to compensate which may have begun to lose some of that separation in the background. I like is as it is and how everything falls off into layers with the bushes, then each of the hills...etc.

• Like 1

Apparently the A7sIII will have the S-cinetone colourscience which is the one found in their FX9 video camera, so not quite their best Venice colourscience, but very close and certainly a big step up from their norm. It'll be impressive if the rumour is true. In fact if all the rumours are true then the A7sIII will be remarkably similar to the FX9 in general (which also means it probably wont be priced all that competitively against pro-sumer video cameras and video focused mirrorless bodies).

• Like 1
On 7/19/2020 at 10:39 AM, Starhawk said:

A beautiful scene! Personally, I’m sensitive to landscape shots being level (almost as much as architectural shots), and I can’t tell if your shot is level, which kind of confuses my brain. The cows look to be standing upright, but the horizon looks like it’s rising to the right, which causes a competing interpretation thing in my head. I’d be curious to see if it was rotated a bit to the left, if the cows still looked naturally planted on the ground, and the horizon looked level.

• Cheers 1
On 7/19/2020 at 1:39 PM, Starhawk said:

I have 0 experience points in taking landscape style shots, but really pleased with how this one came out especially with having something to work with in the foreground. 

Check out those fucked-up looking dogs!

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

A beautiful scene! Personally, I’m sensitive to landscape shots being level (almost as much as architectural shots), and I can’t tell if your shot is level, which kind of confuses my brain. The cows look to be standing upright, but the horizon looks like it’s rising to the right, which causes a competing interpretation thing in my head. I’d be curious to see if it was rotated a bit to the left, if the cows still looked naturally planted on the ground, and the horizon looked level.

I see what you are saying. I was propped up on a fence post but I think it was naturally level. I'm going to look back at the other shots I took of that scene with that in mind. 

5 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I see what you are saying. I was propped up on a fence post but I think it was naturally level. I'm going to look back at the other shots I took of that scene with that in mind. 

Oh believe me, I always try to frame shots level, but very often, what I swear is level in the viewfinder is not once I see the shot on a big screen. Even when shooting something as clear-cut as the ocean, my level is frequently off. 

But if I’m shooting architecture with my 17mm TS, I’ll use the camera’s internal level to try and get it right in the camera, which with a lens/subject like that is pretty critical. 

Level is one of the first adjustments I’ll make in Lightroom. 

• Like 2

Somehow Sony have calculated $3500 for the A7S III to equal £3800 in the UK. 😫

Official specs:

• Newly developed BIONX XRTM image processing engine with eight times more processing powerand a brand new 12.1-megapixel (approx., effective) back-illuminated full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor, significantly reduced rolling shutter effect[ii]
  • Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO range expandable from 40 – 409,600[iii], and improved image quality by approximately 1 stop noise reductioniv in the middle and high sensitivity ranges
  • Video recording capabilities include 4K 120pi, 10 bit 4:2:2 colour depth, All-Intra recording, XAVC HS format with H.265 codec and more
  • 15+ stop dynamic range for moviesii
  • 4K 60p 16-bit RAW video HDMI output for the first time in the Alpha™ series
  • Fast Hybrid AF system with 759 point phase-detection[iv] AF sensors covering 92% of image sensor
  • Enhanced Real-time Eye AF for movie recording[v] and still image recording
  • New heat dissipating mechanism and dual slot relay recording enables over one-hour long 4K 60p 10-bit 4:2:2 movie shooting until battery ends[vi]
  • 5-axis optical in-body image stabilisation supports handheld movie shooting, with added Active Mode [vii] to support especially difficult handheld movie shooting
  • World’s brightest[viii] and largestx new 0.64-type 9.44 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder
  • Side Opening variable angle LCD screen enhances shooting flexibility Completely redesigned menu system with touch screen interface and touch operation
  • High-speed continuous still image shooting at up to 10fps[ix] for more than 1,000 consecutive uncompressed RAW images[x] with full AF / AE tracking
  • Dual CFexpress Type A card slots that enable high speed data processing while keeping the compact size

• Like 1

I'm most excited to see CFexpress Type A cards are actually going to be a thing. The "B" form factor is the one that's been out so far (same as XQD) and some months ago they announced a smaller A and larger C, I just wasn't sure if they'd ever catch on.

Type A is where it's at for small form factor and better ability to hold two cards. Also, this camera's card slots are set up perfectly since they also accept SD.

• Like 1
On 7/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, Starhawk said:

DSC_2562_01.jpg

Beautiful country!

If you're interested in pursuing this type of photography (high dynamic range landscape), check out split gradiant filters, or, more specific to this shot, reverse gradiant filters. That is if you're wanting to bring detail and contrast out of the foreground subject while keeping the same for the bright sky and cloud structures.

Or, if someone actually makes a 15-stop DR sensor, just get that. 😶

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
20 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I'm most excited to see CFexpress Type A cards are actually going to be a thing. The "B" form factor is the one that's been out so far (same as XQD) and some months ago they announced a smaller A and larger C, I just wasn't sure if they'd ever catch on.

Type A is where it's at for small form factor and better ability to hold two cards. Also, this camera's card slots are set up perfectly since they also accept SD.

Interesting. I am very much out of touch when it comes to the latest SD card standards. I suppose on a camera like that I'd only record internally if travelling (lol), and would otherwise record out to an Atomos Ninja. Very nice to see full size HDMI on the camera. 

I'm looking forward to Philip Bloom's review, and for Cinema 5D to test what the true dynamic range is.

Much more expensive than I had anticipated for the UK, but I'm not really thinking about anything for video until next summer anyway, so maybe it will be a little cheaper by then and I can get a better sense of what cameras can go on a shortlist. 

11 minutes ago, Rainmaykr said:

Beautiful country!

If you're interested in pursuing this type of photography (high dynamic range landscape), check out split gradiant filters, or, more specific to this shot, reverse gradiant filters. That is if you're wanting to bring detail and contrast out of the foreground subject while keeping the same for the bright sky and cloud structures.

Or, if someone actually makes a 15-stop DR sensor, just get that. 😶

Fascinating. I didn't even know these were a thing and not used to thinking about filters in general. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Interesting. I am very much out of touch when it comes to the latest SD card standards.

These are the three form factors:

typeschart-800x405.jpg

Some more info: https://petapixel.com/2019/03/13/cfexpress-memory-cards-will-come-in-three-different-sizes/

I use an XQD card, and while it's a defunct standard, the form factor is the same as CFexpress Type B. That's what's in the Canon R5 (and Type B may be needed there for 8k, not sure). The question I had was how camera manufactures were going to deal with dual CFexpress cards. Type B was all that was out there, so would they do 1 Type B and a 1 SD Card? That seemed most l likely to me, but Sony pretty much implemented it perfectly pushing Type A.

• Interesting 1