LCVG

Photography (hardware & technical discussion thread)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top tip: even if it seems to be working fine, don’t put your wet camera away in your wet bag, throw it in the boot of the car and forget it until morning. Currently waiting to see if the dehumidifier

Oh, I know all about big raptors; we have one at home.    

Bought my first 24-70/2.8 today (not my photo)   Actually my first f/2.8 zoom. I've mostly used primes in the past.    Lost of Canon news coming up this month. Sony and N

Posted Images

It's supposed to primarily be a scaled down A7III, so same 24mp sensor. Makes me think A7IV to make up for the difference will have a higher mp count, dual card slots, will probably do 4k/60 and perhaps 120 but possibly not at the bitrates the A7sIII offers. It'll be interesting to see. 

I wonder if the C will get the A7III video colour science or the one from the A7sIII.

A7c:

Video quality just turns out to be 4:2:0 8-bit sadly, so like the A7III (same codecs as well). Shame the viewfinder is so outdated, but in many other respects it's a baby A7III with better ISO performance and colour science, with the A7sIII's AF. GREAT full frame travel camera and vlogging camera for sure. 

OK, right now I'm not rushing to any sort of new consolebox. There's nothing very wrong with my Xbox One S or Nintendo Switch, there's still a backlog in the PS4 I've not touched in ages, either.

But mostly, I've solved the problem of the 7D by buying a second-hand Mark II. Should be here by the end of the week. Wex say it's in great condition except the previous owner lost the eye cup, and those are the same as on my Mark I, so that's no worry at all.

• Like 1

7D II went back, by the way - flaky as hell, it would crash after 5-10 minutes of heavy use (high speed shooting, flicking through the review of existing photos, back and forth between live view etc) even with a brand new memory card. 

Now thinking about whether I bother trying another, save for a brand new 90D or just for whatever Canon do next with RF. 

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Expensive weekend. As well as the PC upgrade, John Lewis had one of the last brand-new 7D mk ii around, and I couldn’t resist. Not cheap, but then only about the same as a 90D and I think I’ll be happier with it. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Indeed. Does sound like the Z7ii is a fine beast, though - I know they're pitching this high-definition version of the 6 as for people who need tonnes of detail at the expense of sensitivity, but I'm just thinking of the ability to crop long bird shots the way I do my 7D and still have some pixels left. Still, I'm not going to rush into Nikon land and have to get all new lenses.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I really want Nikon to do well in general. I can't even conceive of a photographic world without them in it. 

It's all down to you to save them, Cam. No pressure.

starship troopers im doing my part GIF

Yeah, sales are down and they need growth, but I've seen people smarter than me think they are controlling it better than than is generally thought:

Much to the chagrin of the “Nikon will disappear” crowd on the Internet, the company overall booked US$5.4b in sales, and made US$62m in profit. No doubt there’s bad news in Nikon’s results—much like that of most big companies at the moment—but the financials they just reported show a lot of effort and control over their continued retraction that leaves them with reasonably healthy fundamentals. They have US$3.7b cash in hand and an equity ratio of 54%, with lines of credit still open should they need it. Free cash flow did drop to basically zero, though (operating cash flow was down but positive).

• Like 2