LCVG

Giant Bomb bought by CBS Interactive (yes, that's right...now part of the Gamespot family)

Weird... Saw that this morning, and really wasn't sure what was going on there. From what it sounds like, Giant Bomb is still going to be Giant Bomb, and the coverage won't really change. They're still doing their own thing, just financed by CBS. Down the road, maybe some of this gets rolled together, but for now, if they think this is the best way to go forward, then more power to them. I still really enjoy their coverage, and their podcast is always entertaining, and those things should be the same going forward. Eventually, CBS may wonder why they're paying for two different sites to review the same games and such, but I suppose there's precedent for this kind of thing in large media groups.

I am fine with this for now, fearing more bad management down the road though.

Holy shit what happened to Tested.

Awful.

That is where the true disaster is. Holy fucking shit cow. Well at least Will and Norm are happy being a part of this big thing now, but can't believe mythbusters buys a personality based site like that and then goes on to slap their own faces everywhere and calling it "our site".

• 9 years later...

So apparently after getting sold last year, Vinny, Brad and Alex announced that they were leaving on today's bombcast: 

https://kotaku.com/vinny-caravella-alex-navarro-and-brad-shoemaker-leave-1846822092

Sounds like more to come this week, but this definitely sucks.  I followed the whole crew over from Gamespot when GB started, so that podcast has been a constant for a lot of years now.

That’s interesting news. I stopped listening to the Bombcast regularly awhile ago. There was quite a bit in that Kotaku article that I didn’t know (they they’d merged back into one group and that Dan was working for the WWE).

They’ve done quite well as a personality driven site, and they were, in some ways, pioneers of the let’s play type of video. The problem is when those personalities eventually move on, the replacements may not appeal to their audience. 

For me, I never really cared for their live video content which is what they were focusing on, and the split of Giant Bomb East hurt my interest in the podcast. I missed Vinny and eventually Dan on the main show, and had troubles dedicating the extra time to both shows. 

I hope Jeff can figure out what he’s going to do  now though. It would be sad to see everyone just disappear. 

10 hours ago, Graeme said:

For me, I never really cared for their live video content which is what they were focusing on, and the split of Giant Bomb East hurt my interest in the podcast. I missed Vinny and eventually Dan on the main show, and had troubles dedicating the extra time to both shows. 

Yeah, I just didn't have time for a lot of the video content.  I'd watch the occasional thing over several days (like those Mario Party videos or the E3 shows), but I was content to pay for the premium membership to let those guys keep doing the podcast.  For a while I was keeping up with both the Bombcast/Beastcast when I was driving to work and had a 60-90min commute each way, but I stopped listening to the beastcast after Covid (and after they brought the Hot Spot back as a premium thing) because I just fell too far behind.