LCVG

Do you play classic games on your new systems?

Calvin

Do you play classic games on your new systems?  

1. 1. Do you play classic games on your new systems?

• Yes - Just because it an old game doesn't make it less fun
    • Yes - but only arcade classics like Defender,Pac-Man, & Sinistar
    • Yes - but only old home gaming classics like Activision,Atari or Intellivision
    • Yes - but only complations of a gaming theme,like the new Zelda disc
    • No - I'll only play the games on the systems they were originially for
    • No - Sorry,only the latest graphics & trends thrill me
    • What is this Intellivision that you speak of?
    • Atari? Aren't they the ones behind that new Terminator game ??
    • What the heck is a Sinistar???
    • Leave me alone - I'm still trying to master Pong...

With the ongoing trend of older games being rereleased on the newer gaming consoles, as well as the interest being shown in some of those games here - I figured this would make an interesting poll.

For me personally, having the option of playing older games is awesome. While I still own many classic gaming systems, it can be somewhat diffcult to pul out those systems to play. Having the option to be able to condense these only a CD/DVD opens up many things.

Midway's Arcade Treasures is a great example.The emulation of the arcade games is spot on. For fans who played Defender & the like when they were younger - this is a godsend.

Also,being able to play the Zelda games on one disc is simply incredible. Tons of gaming goodness there. And,while I purposely didn't include this in the poll, having arcade emulators like MAME on the PC is a good thing too.

Finally, don't forget the Namco releases. Pac-Man,Pole Position,Galaga,even rarer games like Assault, still are fun to this day - & I personally hope that the new generation of gamers doesn't forget where all this gaming goodness started.

Now,if Midway would only come out with a Mortal Kombat complation disc... :)

I agree with all your points, except where you forget that MK2 was the only good Mortal Kombat ;).

Seriously though, I love having games brought over en masse to the new platforms, it's awesome. A game is a game is a game for me, and while I won't buy, say, an individual release, these compilation packages of retro games are an excellent and cheap source of fun.

I'd love to see more companies do this. Not just the "classics", though something that had Mappy and Bagman on it would be fun, but modern-era stuff too. My dream is to see an arcade port three-player capable Xenophobe on a home system sometime.

It's great though, because sometimes you want to, say, play Eternal Darkness, but other times you have a half an hour to kill so you can just go jamming along in Moon Patrol for a while. It's like a plate of fries versus a full-course banquet, both are satisfying in their own ways and each has its place. :)

Some of the co-op games like Contra or Gauntlet

Yeah, Konami in particular is sitting on a pile of those. I enjoy a good game of Pooyan as much as the next guy, but when you've got Jackal, Rush'n Attack, and Contra in your stable (not to mention their OTHER games I constantly plead for the release of :P), you'd think they'd come out and release them for a quick buck.