LCVG

Spike TV Video Game Awards...

Carlucci

Just set my VCR (my Tivo is already spoken for on that night) to record this and thought I would give you a heads up, in case you haven't heard.

This is the 1st annual awards show, hosted by David Spade, from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Will feature:

World premiere of Tony Hawk's boom-boom Huc Jam (what the heck?)

Raw vs. Smackdown Grudgematch

DMX

Andrew W.K.

P.O.D.

They don't mention if the above will be giving performances, but you gotta figure.

You can vote for the nominations here. http://www.spiketv.com/ Also supports write-in votes.

Carlos.

Have you seen what's been nominated for Game of the Year??? When last I checked it was only 3 titles that were nominated. Splinter Cell, Vice City, and Madden 2004. This is a joke. There are many other newer games that deserve to be on that list. I'm definitely going to watch it, but I hope they revise their nominees.

Vice City is nominated for "Game of the Year"? What year? 2002?

[edit] oh it's for the PC version. Still, in a year with so many new titles to choose from (where's KOTOR???), that's an interesting choice...

[edit again]Well I just went through the "voting" process. What a joke. Best Driving game had "Simpson's Hit and Run" but no "Project Gotham 2"? No Live titles nominated for "Best Online Game"? I ended up writing in just about every ballot. I think I'm going to give this "show" a pass.

Well, did anybody watch that awards show they did years ago on, uh, TBS maybe?

Same crap, different channel. I think an awards show for games is cute, but the average gamer and game designer is not something we really need to see showcased on TV. And given this is the oh-so-manly Spike TV channel, you can be assured that only the "coolest" games will win, irregardless of merit.

But that's just my opinion ;).

I give this ceremony the appropriate weight I give anything on Spike TV .

I actually gotta give Spike TV props for letting John K. do his new Ren & Stimpy toons. Some of those new eps made anything he's previously done look downright tame! :shock:

Well, except maybe the "F* Her Gently" video he animated for Tenacious D. ;)

But yes. I will also NOT be watching the Spike TV "award show". G4 had their first annual award show a few months ago, that actually turned out to be a pretty cool watch. I think I'll wait for their next one, next year.

I just saw the list of categories and winners. I won't spoil anything here, but I will say that many of the choices seemed questionable -- especially "Best Game Based on a Movie" and "Best Action Game."

The categories are awful. They look like they're designed for the same self-congratulatory backslapping that goes on in other mainstream awards shows. Either that, or it only exists as something to hang commercials on.

Why is there a Best Fantasy Game award? Why break it out into genres at all ? BTW, when you see what won that award you might have questions about the value of those genres.

Why not useful and interesting awards like Best Story, Best Art Direction and so on? You know, say I hate RPGs. If KOTOR wins the Best Story award, it's telling me something about the game that I should know. Then it would educate me as a consumer, inform my appreciation of the industry and broaden my mind.

-j

Maybe the last week of the year, we can post our best/worst lists, in a awarsd style sort of form?

We decide on the categories, then choose winners and losers as a group, or something to that effect? It'd be a good community sort of thing, to offset the stupidity of the Spike TV VGAs.

They look like they're designed for the same self-congratulatory backslapping that goes on in other mainstream awards shows. Either that, or it only exists as something to hang commercials on.

Don't fight, Jay, it can be designed for BOTH these purposes ;).

Chris' idea rules, I'm looking forward to seeing it later on. Can this forum get any cooler?

Thanks for the positive responses guys!

I see these awards for games all the time in magazines, websites and tv shows and such. I figured maybe an actual bunch of hardcore gamers like us could get together and vote, picking the cream of the crop in categories other than "Best Use of Jiggly Boobies" in a game.

Even better than voting, maybe Award posts for each category, dedicated to reviews only, why you chose this game, stuff like that.

I don't know how a format like that would work, but I'm sure as a group we can come up with some great categories, as well as a good format to express our views on what we percieve to be the games of the year!

We'll show these video game "awards" shows that you can have a mature video game awards show without resorting to kissing companies asses and catering to the lowest common denominator.

God, what a load of fanboy rubbish that was. I gave up watching after about a half-hour of it. Regarding the awards, I just have to say this:

Madden 2004 wins "Game of the Year" but is NOT the best sports title?

That just makes no sense at all and really shows what everyone has been saying all along about who really chose the awards. Utter B.S.

Same thing with Soul Calibur II winning "most addictive game" but losing to WWE Smackdown for "best fighting game"? :roll:

Oh, and by the way, "True Crime" as best action game? I'd laugh, but it's more retarded than funny.

• 3 years later...

2006 Winners:

GAME OF THE YEAR

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME

Tony Hawk Project 8 (Activision/Neversoft)

BEST TEAM SPORTS GAME

NBA2K7 (2K Sports/Visual Concepts)

BEST SONG

"Lights and Sounds" by YellowCard in Burnout Revenge-XBOX 360 (Electronic

Arts/Criterion Games)

BEST SOUNDTRACK

Guitar Hero II (Red Octane/Harmonix)

STUDIO OF THE YEAR

Epic Games (Gears of War)

BEST WIRELESS GAME

SWAT Force (Vivendi/KAOLink)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN - MALE

Patrick Stewart in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN - FEMALE

Vida Guerra in Scarface: The World is Yours (Vivendi/Radical

Entertainment)

BEST CAST

Family Guy (2K Games/High Voltage Software)

MOST ADDICTIVE

CRITIC'S CHOICE

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo/Nintendo EAD)

BEST DRIVING GAME AWARD

Burnout Revenge-XBOX 360 (Electronic Arts/Criterion Games)

BEST ACTION GAME

Dead Rising (Capcom)

CYBER VIXEN OF THE YEAR

Alyx Vance - Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (Valve)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

BEST FIGHTING GAME

Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Midway Games)

BEST PC GAME

Company of Heroes (THQ/Relic)

BEST RPG

BEST SHOOTER

Gears of War (Microsoft/Epic Games)

BEST MILITARY GAME

Company of Heroes (THQ/Relic)

BEST GRAPHICS

BEST HANDHELD GAME

New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo/Nintendo EAD)

BEST MULTI-PLAYER GAME

BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY

WII (Nintendo)

BEST GAME BASED ON A MOVIE OR TV SHOW

Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (LucasArts/Traveller's Tales)

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE

James Gandolfini in The Sopranos: Road to Respect (THQ/7 Studios)

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE

Rachel Leigh Cook in Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix)

GAMERS CHOICE: BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE

Rosario Dawson in Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure

(Atari/The Collective)

GAMERS CHOICE: CHARACTER OF THE YEAR

"Jack Sparrow" portrayed by Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean: The

Legend of Jack Sparrow (Bethesda Softworks/7Studios/Buena Vista Games)