LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Microsoft Surface Tablet

The guy I'm dating works for MS and will be getting a free surface. I'm looking forward to checking it out when he gets it.

It's ironic since he has my iPad 2, his first apple device. He went from thinking he'd not want one, to using it comstantly and carrying every day to work(!).

His perspective on the two should be interesting too. He got to use a surface at an internal event and is excited to get it. But right now he's saying he will keep the iPad for daily use and use the surface for work. I guess that's MS's goal at this point.

• Like 1

For what I use my tablet for, I am super open to alternatives. I could see me having a Surface in the future since it presumably could do everything an iOS/Android device does for me plus tons more.

I'm very interested in your opinion of the surface Ed, as well as that of your boyfriend. Whatever you may be able share of course. It'll be interesting to hear your comparison to your iPad experience, and how you think the Surface might slot into the market.

I'm very interested in your opinion of the surface Ed, as well as that of your boyfriend. Whatever you may be able share of course.

Took me three goes to realise you wanted Ed's boyfriend's opinions of the tablet, not Ed's opinion of his boyfriend. Which made the second sentence interesting.

Wow, I'm slow today.

I can't say much, but I liked what I saw today of both Surface and WP8. As predicted they are going to be a very nice combo. Still holding out for the Surface Pro.

Definitely looking forward to getting some hands on time with the surface in a couple of weeks (I'm sure they'll have them out to try at Build), at least to see how the touch keyboard and kickstand work out. Still not sure about WinRT in general, since probably 98% of the time I've spent with Windows 8 has been in desktop apps, but I suppose it's decent as a web device. Even for media stuff though, the Metro video app wouldn't play MKV. Luckily, I can just install VLC on the desktop though, and it works as expected. The benefits of having an established ecosystem. Even Steam runs well on the Samsung tablet, although it's pretty sad how little works with a touchscreen only. Even something like World of Goo or SpaceChem, which are almost entirely mouse driven, need a keyboard for certain things. I wouldn't expect developers to all handle this individually, but if there was an OS level gesture that let you bring up the virtual keyboard over a full screen app, it might solve this problem.

As for WP8, I'm going to try to snag a Lumia 920 when they're out, but it looks like it's a Rogers exclusive in Canada. I wonder if you'll be able to buy them unlocked through the MS stores though? I know they were selling some of them...

I am waiting to get the Lumia 920 too. But I'm already on Rogers. :) I'm quite intrigued by the Surface Pro, hope to be able to play around with it soon. I have been using the Windows 8 beta on my HTPC and have grown to like it.

Yeah, I thought they'd come in cheaper, but I suppose that it's not out of line with where the ipad is. I'm a little more surprised that the touch cover isn't included by default though-I thought that'd be standard. Still not sure how a WinRT only world is going to work though-given how little I've used the metro apps in the last year on my Win8 machines (including two touch devices). Maybe it's just personal preference and what I'm used to, but metro IE is no substtute for firefox, the built in video app won't play everything I want (thank you VLC), and steam games are, of course, desktop only.

I like this feature on Gamasutra about the propsects for devs on Win8 and beyond: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/179420/. Not sure if they're right or not, but I can definitely see some room for real advancement on Microsoft's part in this space. Third party store support perhaps?

<p>OK, so not only did I get a chance to try one of these out last night at //build, but tonight they gave all of us a 32GB surface RT and a Nokia 920 to use as dev/test devices. I've been fighting with hotel internet trying to get everything set up. Hotel routers weren&%2

<p>OK, so not only did I get a chance to try one of these out last night at //build, but tonight they gave all of us a 32GB surface RT and a Nokia 920 to use as dev/test devices. I've been fighting with hotel internet trying to get everything set up. Hotel routers weren&%2

Microsoft set up a temporary Surface kiosk in the center of a very busy shopping mall near me. It's highly visible and just a few stores down from the always packed Apple store. I happened to be there the morning the Surface launched and watched the ravenous crowd of 8 people buy their nifty new tablets.

I walked by the Apple store 5 minutes later and it was already filled to the walls with shoppers.

I walked by the Apple store 5 minutes later and it was already filled to the walls with shoppers.

Friday should be interesting.

So, has anyone here actually purchased a Surface? What are your thoughts an opinions about it and Windows RT?

Friday should be interesting.

So, has anyone here actually purchased a Surface? What are your thoughts an opinions about it and Windows RT?

I have one. I haven't used it enough to really come to a full on review opinion, but the hardware is very nice and well built. I love the touch cover. Living in the Microsoft enterprise world the Surface and WIndows RT just plugged right in. Yes it's lacking in Apps for sure.

My biggest complaint is the People App, it's a huge steaming POS in terms of configuration options right now. For instance I told Surface about my Facebook account thinking I could edit who shows up in the People app, nope it's all or nothing right now.

I have one. I haven't used it enough to really come to a full on review opinion, but the hardware is very nice and well built. I love the touch cover. Living in the Microsoft enterprise world the Surface and WIndows RT just plugged right in. Yes it's lacking in Apps for sure.

Not bought one yet as I'm waiting on Pro pricing but a friend that works at MS brought his over this weekend and I got to play with it as we watched the Cowboys/Giants game. I was impressed with the hardware and OS. The lack of apps is the biggest knock as Kelley mentioned but I loved the feel of it, the touch cover is really fantastic and I'm very very interested to see what the Pro brings to the table.

So day 1 with the surface RT, and it's not great, but not terrible either. Pros-I could edit the .hosts file to set up some custom routes, and the Lync app worked with my plantronics headset. Cons-it couldn't open a .ics file from the web (no Outlook). Still, the battery held out like a champ all day, and the touch cover is still much better than I expected. Took notes on it through all todays's sessions, and didn't get many more typos than usual. Still not sure about the viability long term, and I think something Atom based might have been better (long life + compatibility), but still not a bad piece of hardware. Build quality on this thing is really pretty slick.

the Metro version of One Note I absolutely love and have been using all the time. No outlook seems very silly and short sighted to me, not that the Windows Mail app is bad it's just not Outlook. One thing that is nice is they seem to be consistently updating the applications. Also love the touch cover and think it's the key to the device for me.

Windows 8's cloud integrations are great, minus that stupid people app :)

I've been using the office 2013 preview for a couple of months on my main laptop, and it's been just fine. I upgraded that one with RTM bits a couple weeks ago though, and that's even better. New office works mostly like 2010, but with a few cosmetic changes, some nice new features, and a fresh coat of paint. Much more touch friendly, and it does things like make the reading view in word actually useful. Nothing abosolutely revolutionary though.

The people app on the surface isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not near as good as the one on the phone. On WP7, the people hub was great for linking multiple networks together, viewing status updates from FB etc, and just managing contacts. It looks like the win8 version is trying to do the same thing, but it'd be nice if it persisted the settings I already had from my phone...

As for battery etc, I used oneNote RT all day today (8 until about 5) and ran the battery down to maybe 30%, including a bunch of wifi usage along the way for web and Lync calls. Yeah, I had the screen brightness down, but I'm pretty impressed by the way that you can get that much life out of it. Using the touch cover in your lap with the kickstand is certianly possible, although not absolutely ideal, but typing on the screen one handed is also pretty good (visions of the bad guy in Tomorrow Never Dies there..). The split keyboard is a good idea, but it still seems slower to me than the one handed method.

So what's the People app like, Kelley?

so like chris was saying, it combines all your facebook friends, people on twitter who you follow, Skype, msn chat, and indeed links into one big single merged directory. problem is I do not want to see all this info, it would be great to be able to filter out who you see and don't see, this is a feature of the Windows Phone version but not the Win8 version. seems to me to be very short sighted by MS not to have this feature from the get go.

Honestly, I haven't used it for much yet, because I don't have a SIM for it yet. I'm still in Seattle until the end of the week, so it'll be the weekend before I can get a new card. I did mess around with it on wifi though, and it's certainly a nicer phone than my LG Optimus 7, but we'll see how it fares real-world. It's a big ass phone though, I can say that much.

Also got to try the type cover for the first time today, and it certainly has a little more feedback. Looks like it adds a bit of bulk, but not enough to make a huge difference. If I was buying one myself, I'd probably add the 10 bucks for the type, but I'm not going to bother upgrading. It does feel a little strange having the keys on the back when you have the cover folded over though, but they are smart enough on both covers to deactivate the keyboards when you extend past 180 degrees.