LCVG
Romier S

The officially official Wii U Thread (Price Drop on Sept 20th to $299)

Mario Kart + Smash Brothers is how they'll shift units.

Yep.

It almost bugs me that it's that simple just as much as it bugs me to see a good console hit a rocky path. :) I keep imagining what Nintendo might achieve in a world where they actually tried harder. 

Also, I read "Yep" back to myself in a Dredd voice. 

Here's the thing though. Those games, those good games that it does have; Mario Bros, Zombi - and let's give Nintendoland its dues (heck, even Sonic Racing is fucking GREAT), are old to those who bought the machine last year, but new to those who haven't bought the system (with the exception of Sonic as it was released on every modern platform under the sun), yet they're still not helping to shift many units to new customers. Is it New Mario Bros fatigue for a lot of fans?

Let's examine those games. 

ZombiU - I love it and it was worth the price of the Wii U to play it for me because I'm a survival horror nut but it doesn't have mass appeal and you add the divisiveness of the reviews that were released and it isn't a game that's going to move units. As much as I'd like it too.

NSMBU - Is there fatigue? Yes. If you're a Nintendo fan (and you didn't buy a Wii U if you're not) and own a 3DS, NSMBU is pretty "also ran". It's a fine game and if you're coming into it clean not having played the 3DS or Wii iterations you'll look at me funny in saying that it's a tired experience but the reality is that people have played this very same game over and over again quite a bit over the past 2 years. It's not a system seller. Galaxy is a system seller. Super Mario 3D Land is a system seller.

Nintendoland for as fun as it is depends on the gimmick of the controller being the real "sell" out of the gate. Sort of how the Wii Remote was the big sell for Wii Sports. Wii Sports was the proof of concept. Nintendoland isn't going to move systems because quite honestly, ZombiU is a better proof of concept for the machine and we already talked about its limited mass appeal. 

What's left from there is a group of third party ports that are generally of lesser quality then their counterparts with a few exceptions. It really is a terrible launch lineup when you stop and look at it...

How big of a deal is Monster Hunter? I don't know the series at all, but Nintendo have seen fit to release a new Wii U bundle with it in Europe and Japan.

In Japan? A fairly big deal as its quite popular there. In the US? I don't know. I know it has popularity here but we're not even talking about a new iteration. Isn't it just a big brother port of the 3DS game?

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an enhanced edition of Monster Hunter Tri as I understand it. 'Ultimate' hits Wii U and 3DS on the same day next month. Apparently the original Wii version sold over 110,000 copies in its first week in the US, and 73,000 in the EU in its first week. So I guess it does have a following. Better graphics and local multiplayer on 3DS, and online play on Wii U, seem to be about the extent of the new version though, so I can't imagine it being a big draw. 

On the subject of Capcom, I am quite curious to see how Revelations on the Wii U turns out.

Monster Hunter thrives on online play, actually, so the Wii U version having a smoother multiplayer experience will be huge for a small group of fans :).

Not enough to reverse the old fortunes, but a start.

That's potentially good to know then. I'm sure Feb sales stats will be bad again, but maybe Monster Hunter stands the best chance of bolstering them a touch in March and April. I took a look at it and thought "nope, that's not for me" :)

Thanks to a tenure bonus I couldn't resist picking up the Zombi U Deluxe set this morning. Also picked up Super Mario Bros. U and Super Smash Bros. Brawl since I had gotten rid of my original Wii quite a while ago, and I couldn't resist playing SSBB again.

Spent the afternoon setting it up (it shipped with the latest firmware!), and playing Super Mario Bros. U with the wife and one of the daughters. Had a lot of fun with both it, and Nintendoland. I think I'm pretty much guaranteed buying another Wii Remote tomorrow while I'm at work.

I'm fairly impressed overall, and the family seems to love it so far. I'll dive into Zombi U tonight for sure.

And to no ones surprise, my Nintendo Network ID is: RuFfNeCk for those that want to add me.

I don't have a Wii U, but just wanted to see if that was really you Chris :)

Heh, it's me. haven't really played much console-wise since early last year - work, family, it takes it's gaming toll, but in a very good way.

I was really excited this morning when I picked up my Wii U. Its nice to get new hardware set up and running, especially since this is something my wife and daughter were really looking forward to.

I took the liberty of adding everyone I could from this thread. You'll probably see a lot of me as a zombie in Zombi U. Haven't played it yet, but I'm thinking I might in a few minutes before bed.

Liberty my ass, I'd have been adding you anyway.

I really need to fix up my WiiU friends list with the new arrivals. Ironically I have used the WiiU as an excuse to dive back into the Wii catalogue and I am hardly ever online.

I was playing in the dark and couldn't remember which button was X. That's my defence anyway. Just frantic button mashing in a sheer state of panic. Never even got to know the poor sod's name.... and yet it was in that moment that I knew I'd love the game, and I really do!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Doctor Hoo" data-cid="482371" data-time="1361173820"><p>

I doubt you could beat my Zombi U death record, Chris. My first survivor bit the dust at the very first ladder two minutes in, :)</p></blockquote>

Ha! I was not used to the controller layout when I got to the ladder, and spent about 10 seconds freaking out how to climb it. Couldn't get the angle right, and forgot where the buttons were in respect to the analog stick. :/

For those of you in the US, Ubisoft are currently running an offer for 30% off their games on the eShop until the 26th of February.

ZombiU $41.99
Just Dance 4 $34.99
Assassin's Creed III $41.99
Rabbid's Land $34.99
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 $34.99
ESPN Sports Collection $34.99

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/ubisoft-promo

Hi all, I'm just trying to get an idea of what owners now think of the Wii U.  I still haven't pulled the trigger, even though I did plan on getting the ZombiU Bundle.  I thought about it a lot, and with March coming, and multiple games I want to play, I figured I'd wait a bit.  I have $280 in credit at Best Buy (trade in your iPhone 4s if you have a spare).  And even with that, I'm still not sure what to do...  Personally, I really only have an urge to play Mario U, of all things, it just seems more Super Mario World to me than anything else they've done since.  I'm sure no Nintendo 1st party fan will regret the purchase, but I think I may just wait till after March, but then in a couple months E3 hits... price drop?  Who knows.

Just curious...

Tom

Personally, I think it is a great little console with lots of potential. But you answered your own question. Other than Mario and Zombie U, there is no reason to run out and buy one now. So if you feel you really need to play Mario now, then get it. It's worth the purchase. But if you can wait, you're probably better off to see what Nintendo has planned such as a price drop.

I've had mine for about two weeks now, and my family and I are really enjoying it. We play a few games together in Nintendoland nightly, and my daughter loves using the Gamepad to help me out in NSMBU. I really haven't had much time to put into ZombiU as I would like, but for the hours or two I've played, I really enjoyed it.

There really is no reason other than Super Mario Bros. U, and ZombiU to get one, but it my case, I haven't had a Wii for a few years, so I'm picking up some titles that I may have missed since then.

Like Paul above said, I think it's got a lot of potential, and I'm eagerly awaiting E3 to see what Nintendo has planned for the rest of the year.