LCVG
Romier S

The officially official Wii U Thread (Price Drop on Sept 20th to $299)

I have a fair amount of stars on my club nintendo account now but, nothing to really spend them on. I can buy points cards of course but, are they supposed to start allowing points cards to be spent in the WiiU estore soon now that the Wii online stuff is being turned off? Should I convert the stars to points cards now or wait a bit longer? Is this only in the EU store - is it different in the US store?

North American store is different. You earn coins which can be redeemed for rewards. Rewards include a monthly selection of virtual console and Eshop games and merchandise such as greeting cards, patches, posters and t-shirts. There's no option for points cards.

I got Super Metroid the other day, Super Mario World last month and a few other games previously.

Well damn, thanks Graeme I hope the UK/EU store is updated to allow the same soon...

5.0 sounds great - I'll load that today. Definitely want that QuickStart feature :)

5 stores visited, 0 Mario Kart Bundles found, sold out everywhere.

Plenty of unsold and dusty Wii U consoles (including Zelda bundles) sitting right where they have been for months now.

At this point I'm favoring getting on Craigslist, picking up a Zelda bundle, and buying the game separately.  One look at the goofy steering wheel attachment nonsense and I'm about 99% sure I'll never use it anyway.

Wii U firmware version 5.0.0 is out. New Quick Start/Standby mode added.

Version 5.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
New Features:

A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U
Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu *1
Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2
Changes to Standby Functions:

System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby
Changes to the Wii U Menu:

The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu
The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated
This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen
Changes to System Settings:

Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings
Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options
Changes to the HOME Menu

A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu
Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
(*1) The Quick Start Menu is only displayed when the Wii U GamePad POWER or HOME Buttons are pressed. Other controllers, such as the Wii Remote Plus and Wii U Pro Controller, will continue to power on the Wii U

(*2) Wii U GamePad Alerts are different from the notifications received via the Wii U Notifications feature. Wii U GamePad Alerts settings can be changed via Power Settings located in System Settings.

Do I only need the sensor bar if I'm playing Wii games, or does it need to be connected at all times? Most of my gaming is downstairs and I'd rather not have to move the sensor bar every time I come upstairs to play.

Also, I'll probably start sending out friend requests in the next few days. We should plan a Mario Kart night.

A night of MK8 sounds great - I'm in (for my timezone at least). As far as the sensor bar, I think it does have to be hooked up for Wii stuff so maybe a cheap second bar for upstairs would work better in your case? Assuming of course the WiiU moves with you or you can do a cable run to the room...

Do I only need the sensor bar if I'm playing Wii games, or does it need to be connected at all times?

Only for Wii games and you don't even need the sensor bar as the gamepad has a sensor bar built in to the top of it.

So I went without a Wii U a whole two weeks. Was able to get a phenomenal deal on a 32GB unit with Mario Kart 8 and Mario 3D World. With how much I got for my 8GB unit, I actually came out ahead. :) 

I have been playing the SHIT out of NES Remix II.  There are some damn hard challenges in there!  I don't think I need to get the first one, but I would easily buy another if they made one, or made a SNES Remix as has also been suggested.

I actually went back and grabbed the first one, it's pretty fun, the games are just that much older. Doing challenges in Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, and Donkey Kong is still damn good fun.