LCVG

New Palm!

rustyjaw

So in a fit of end-of-vacation-impulse buying, I snatched up a new Palm PDA yesterday. I can't really afford a Zodiac, so that was out. But last week I saw the Palm Tungsten E and was really impressed by it, I did side-by-side comparisions of the screen with a few Cli? models, and other Palms including the higher-end Tungstens and Zire 71 and the Tungsten E has an obviously superior screen, possibly because it's a newer model.

02.jpg

It has 32MB memory, 320x320 transflective display, runs on a 126Mhz ARM processor, headphone jack, and SD slot, Palm OS 5.2.1 all for $199. Dollar for dollar, I don't think this machine can be topped.

I'm in heaven playing my games after moving from my Handspring Prism, which was the best Palm device available when it was released, but was based on the old lo-res screens, and Palm OS 3. The screen on the Tungsten E is just beautiful. The higher resolution is SO much easier on the eyes it's amazing.

It's also very fast even though it doesn't have the fastest processor available, it feels well over 2x or 3x faster than my Prism.

I haven't organized that list yet, it says "All" but eventually I'll file them under "numerology cult" (note the complete lack of the number 7) - we're a close knit group as you can see. Clinton "Fink" Finkelstein, Scott L., Trish, Sean, Zita and I all live in a one room apartment (5 in 1, you see) with a single window. Monica lived with us for a while, but her annoying habit of washing herself like a cat didn't sit to well, especially with Utigard.

And end in 2624. Very strange indeed

Lol, I completely missed that, I only saw the triple 5's on a quick glance.

So, you mentioned the games Ed, what do you have, the standard card game fair or other more advanced gaming software? I've gotta admit I'm not up to speed with what's available for gaming on PDA's.

Originally posted by JTello@Dec 1 2003, 01:33 PM

So, you mentioned the games Ed, what do you have, the standard card game fair or other more advanced gaming software? I've gotta admit I'm not up to speed with what's available for gaming on PDA's.

Well, I love word and puzzle games, so I have Scrabble (and the free version called Niggle which is in many ways better than the official Scrabble for Palm).

wordlet_playing_color.gif

This is Wordlet which is very similar to the board-game Boggle, the nice thing is that at the end of every round it tells you how many words were possible...and your score is the percentage of total words that you found (50% is a good score for 3+ letter words!)

screenshot-anim.gif

Text Twist is also fun, a kind of word-jumble game.

screenshot-anim-lr.gif

The famous Bejeweled puzzle game that available on just about every platform under one name or another.

screenshot-anim.gif

I adore the game Atomica (from Astraware who also makes Text Twist, Bejeweled and a ton of other high-quality games), which is hard to explain, it's got very simple rules, but requires deep logic to really figure out how to do well.

11383.gif

Billiards is an amazingly realistic and gorgeous pool game, you can play versus over the IR port on Palm PDAs!

screenshot-anim.gif

Mahjongg is a great pattern matching against the clock game (note this is not a 'real' chinese Mahjongg game, it's just patterns matching).

bubblet_16bpp.gif

Then there's Bubblet, a bubble-popping game that's frightfully addictive.

Cool, thanx Ed! I assume those are actual screen shots, or pretty close to what they look like? And the size is representative to the actual display? I'm interested in getting a new PDA, though gaming wasn't really a consideration, it's great to see the type of games I know I'll end up playing anyway. ;)

Originally posted by JTello@Dec 1 2003, 06:01 PM

Cool, thanx Ed! I assume those are actual screen shots, or pretty close to what they look like? And the size is representative to the actual display? I'm interested in getting a new PDA, though gaming wasn't really a consideration, it's great to see the type of games I know I'll end up playing anyway. ;)

Actually all of those are from low-resolution screens (I chose them to keep this page smaller), from Palm devices that have 160x160 displays (the old standard):

Compare them to these 320x320 shots:

game1.gif

screenshot-anim-hr.gif

It's a huge difference.

There are a LOT of games fir the Palm OS, at palmgear.com they list more then 2500 titles in the gaming category...and they cover everything from ports of arcade games like Spyhunter and Joust, to text-based adventure games.

So Ed, I had to pick up an ink cartridge at Staples last night and I happen to see the Palm Tungsten E display they had. (guess those end cap displays are effective) The display is as good as you said, I was impressed. I didn't have much time to play with it, but I did notice that the touch screen sensitivity wasn't the greatest, but it was a display model so I'm not sure if that is really even an issue. It didn't appear to have a whole lot of software on it either, but again, it was a display. It felt good and looks great. They sure see to have a number of them too.

This is not a slight but rather a compliment, ...they kinda seemed like the Honda Accord of the PDA's they had. They had a lot of them, looked great, weren't the most powerful but certainly do the job well, the price is right, and they seemed like they will have a broad appeal and should sell very well.

My GF was watching me and asked,... "You want one of those for Christmas?" I perfer surprises, so I didn't respond. :)

One thing about the T3 is that a good number of applications don't support the 320x480 layout. I don't really know exact numbers, but even in the demo I used, when I opened it up the open app would just leave that area alone.

BUT, some app and games do, and the games look great when they fill a screen like that.

The other thing I noted, which to me is even more important is that the screen on the "E" just looked better, whites were whiter, contrast seemed higher, etc. I compared to to every model they had where I was, and none of them could match the screen on the E.

As for software, they are very basic, but I already had a Palm device, so I was bringing software with me. And because I was coming from an older machine, the Tungsten E feels more like a BWM than an Accord, but point taken ;)

Actually, as I keep saying, the E feels like an Apple product to me, its fit and finish are top-notch, very solid, its form-factor is ideal.

I've had no problems with the touch-screen, it's as responsive as I expect.

One last thing, if you're looking seriously at spending $400 on the T-3, you might also want to check out the Zodiac, which is a Palm OS machine with a 320x480 display aimed at gamers. Camp has one, there's a thread here about it, by all accounts it's a rockin' machine.

Originally posted by Bruce B@Dec 3 2003, 09:11 AM

I've had a Handspring Treo 90 for about a year and just realized that I can actually schedule meetings and other things business related and not just schedule reminders when new Xbox games are coming out. :green:

LOL! Yeah, I use mine for games about 90% of the time... :D

I was really holding out on upgrading from my Prism until someone released a good Palm device with cell-phone/wireless internet abilities, but so far that call has gone unanswered. The Treo line was a breakthrough when it was released, and the 600 was supposed to be a major improvement but they cut so many corners it ended up being very disappointing.

They reduced the number of colors the screen can display, they didn't bump up the resolution (it's still 160x160!), it has an older processor, and yet they want $600 for it! That's a completely outrageous price for what you get.

I'm very happy with the Tungsten, I'm hoping it will satisfy me long enough for someone to come up with a wireless Palm that isn't compromised so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have a very strong feeling that I may be the owner of a new t-3 in just a few short days. ;) In anticipation (giddy child-like anticipation :D ) I was looking for good handheld / Palm websites and I came across the following website that I thought was very interesting.

http://www.mpsomaha.org/willow/p5/handhelds/

It was created by a 5th grade teacher who is looking to promote the use of handhelds as a teaching aid. I'm not a teacher but I am still excited by the opportunities that handhelds can offer teachers and students. The possibilities are virtually limitless, and much more accessible than workstations and laptops. Every area of study could benefit, but the foremost in my mind are the sciences. Imagine the information kids could carry and track as they conduct experiments in the field.

On the other side of the fence though, they would have to lock out the games and access to sites like LCVG or kids would get no work done. ;) And personally I would have dreaded the handhelds for one simple reason,... there would be no way I could have used the excuse, "I forgot to do my homework."

I'd be interested in links you guys could offer to good handheld / Palm websites,... especially the ones with good free and shareware. Ohh, I can't wait 5+ days!!!