LCVG
JoeyN

SHOCKER- Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 Billion (announces new film for 2015)

Rise of skywalker has been released early on digital platforms.

I watched it again this morning, there are worse sw movies out there. I do like the extras. There is a feature length making of, which also has old original trilogy footage as well, and some other cool behind the scenes features.

StarWars.com has announced that Taika Waititi will direct a Star Wars feature film that he will co-write with 1917 screenwriter Krysty Cairns.

They’ve also confirmed Russian Doll creator Leslye Headland will show run a new TV series.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

StarWars.com has announced that Taika Waititi will direct a Star Wars feature film that he will co-write with 1917 screenwriter Krysty Cairns.

They’ve also confirmed Russian Doll creator Leslye Headland will show run a new TV series.

Exciting to hear about a Taika Waititi Star Wars Feature Film, but will it ever release? It feels like new theatrical Star Wars projects are announced every year that just drop off the map.

I'm not familiar with Leslye Headland or Russian Doll, she's been rumored for a few weeks now.

• Like 1

Russian Doll was fantastic. Probably my favourite Netflix production that I’ve seen.

I think the movie will happen. Didn’t Disney/Lucasfilm already hint that they’re going to focus on testing the waters again with individual films? Seems a safer bet than committing to trilogies. 

November 2017 it's announced Rian Johnson will create a trilogy , no updates from Lucasfilm since then, he's made a few statements saying he's still working on it with Lucasfilm.

February of 2018 it's announced  David Benioff & D.B. Weiss will be working on a series of films.

May 2019 Disney announces dates for three Star Wars films: December 2022, December 2024, and December 2026.

September 2019 it's announced Kevin Feige will be producing a Star Wars Film alongside Kennedy. No Date available.

October 2019 it's announced David Benioff & D.B. Weiss are no longer working on their Star Wars Project. Kennedy says she hopes they find time in the future.

December 2019 Kathleen Kennedy say's the plan is to move beyond trilogies which can be restricting.

May 2020 it's announced Taika Waititi will direct and co-write a Star Wars film. No Date available.

Thor Love and Thunder is releasing February 5, 2022, I could see the Waititi film being released in 2023/2024, but highly unlikely for 12/2022.

The most recent Disney schedule shows Untitled Star Wars (Lucasfilm)—December 16, 2022, something should be announced for this in the next 6 months right?

• Like 1

They gotta announce something else today. 

• Like 1

The Star Wars Shadows of the Empire game sound track is getting a CD and Vinyl release later this year. 

Expanded CD or just a re-issue of the original album? (I’m not sure there was anything to expand). Remember that was never actually written for the game. McNeely was actually commissioned to write and record it as an accompaniment for the book (and some of it consequently ended up in the game).

It’s a great score.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, Angry the Clown said:

This is exciting news... I said I wanted a Waititi Star Wars film after that last episode of the Mandalorian.  

My bet is that the Waititi project is a.) a little further along than we think it is, and b.) will be fast-tracked. The fact that he already has a (female!) co-writer makes me believe that he's already pitched his treatment and gotten acceptance from the higher-ups at Lucasfilm. Plus, he's a known entity to Lucasfilm/Disney -- having worked on The Mandalorian and in Marvel -- so there's likely more trust there than there was with Lord/Miller, et al. Plus, he's a hot name, and the right one to get fans and critics excited about a franchise return to the big screen.

I wouldn't bet it will be before "Thor: Love and Thunder," but it might not be far behind. 

Also, it's entirely possible that the Feige Star Wars film and the Waititi film are actually one and the same...

On 5/4/2020 at 11:40 AM, NickC said:

Exciting to hear about a Taika Waititi Star Wars Feature Film, but will it ever release? It feels like new theatrical Star Wars projects are announced every year that just drop off the map.

Yes, but this announcement was made on Star Wars Day, so that means it has to happen, right?

Right?