LCVG
Romier S

Oculus Rift - Anyone else paying attention?

Not sure what day 2 will cover but, looking forward to it. I was happy with the game announcements :) especially Lone Echo 2 and Vader Immortal - those should be great. Quest seems like a good headset but I think the standalone HMD’s are inherently limited with their own GPU, etc so $399 seems expensive to me versus Go and the others. I do love the Touch controllers though and inside-out tracking is a big step forward so will,be interesting to read reviews of Quest when it comes out next year. These stand alone headsets aren’t something I’m interested in personally but, I’m sure the technology will be shared/refined between Rift, Go, Quest, etc.

I’m all-in on PC VR (Rift) so looking forward to Rift 2.0 or whatever follows but, that is likely not until Winter 2019 now so, no hardware for me this year. 

So Vox Machina was a surprise early release - I grabbed it but haven’t had much time with it of course. From what I did look at though, the in-cockpit experience in the mechs is just awesome. Been waiting for a good mech game in VR for a while and this seems like it :)

I got to play a little more of Vox Machina and it’s pretty awesome 😎Giant Mechs with “sim-light” controls and a fully interactive cockpit. The graphics are good and the way comms are handled in-game using the radio handset is great. This is just a perfect VR game for me so will definitely be playing more. It’s still listed as early access but, it seems pretty clean to me, no bugs or anything so far.

Vox Machinae was my favorite game of the DK2 era.  The devs went silent around the launch of CV1 and I was afraid the project got shuttered.  Am ecstatic to see that's not the case. 

• Like 1

Per reddit posts the devs are adding a full campaign mode to VM as well as randomized missions and a few other features. It’s such a great game already in early access, I’m thrilled to have them add more :)

So the littlest one wanted to record himself playing a game on the Oculus. I thought what would be better than Arizona Sunshine, because as a parent it is my job to make sure my guys are prepared for any and all upcoming zombie apocalypses.

Little dude doesn't teleport like I have to, he just runs around like it's supposed to be normal. If I did this I would be throwing up all over the place, projectile style. He's clearly the more evolved gamer than I.

• Like 2

Waiting to hear his mother yell "Get off that thing and do your homework or so help me...." "Shut up ma, I'm making a video, now I have to start over..."

• Like 2

So, the Rift S looks really good. Inside out tracking so no cameras, updated resolution and lenses are all good and per Ars the LCD screen is a fair trade off from OLED for the benefits. I’m not looking to upgrade but, for a 1st VR PC headset this is a great one at $399. 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/hands-on-with-the-new-399-oculus-rift-s-more-pixels-zero-cameras-better-fit/

So, reviews for the Rift S and Quest are popping up everywhere now (Rift S review here):

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-review-good-choice-for-newcomers-difficult-choice-for-vr-vets/

Sounds like a solid VR headset but, may not be a significant upgrade for those of us with a Rift already. This particular review is a little more in-depth and compares it against 3 years with the Rift so I found it more useful but, that’s specific to my experience. And I have yet to find a single bad review on the Quest. It’s not for me as I want PC VR but, the Quest sounds like the best of the best for standalone VR.

Also, lots of pre E3 VR games being shown 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/pre-e3-2019-oculus-wants-to-you-to-paddle-a-stealth-vr-kayak-and-its-awesome/

Lone Echo 2 is a day-one buy for me but, that stealth game sounds pretty fun so will watch for that. Asgard *could be good and Marvel by the same team was really solid and got great after they kept updating it and adding features so I’m hopeful it will be good. Vader Immortal is also coming (out now for Quest) and the next chapter for Moss (Quest first though). LOTS to play these days after VR being kinda stagnant for a while. Seems like a whole lot coming soon and - several older titles are getting VR modes soon (No Mans Sky, etc) so it seems like this is really picking up again now 😊

I bought an Oculus Quest upon release and have been amazed by the graphics it is able to push. They’re definitely taking a loss on that hardware. BRB gotta get back to playing Beat Saber in the front yard.

• Like 1

Since both the Rift S and Quest both have inside out tracking, and the same controllers, is there any technical reason that Oculus couldn’t make a Quest that has an optional cable to also connect it to a PC?

Seems like they could create a single headset that would suit the Quests pick up and play, and the power of the PC. They could call it Oculus Switch. 

• Like 1

I’m sure you’re right and they could (or will soon) make a universal headset that can connect to PC and still work as a stand-alone like Quest.