LCVG
Romier S

Oculus Rift - Anyone else paying attention?

I really liked Superhot VR. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but it just took me a little bit to figure out how to time my actions with enemy bullets being shot, but once I had that down, I really got into it. 

Finished off superhot VR, and it's awesome.  I'd actually say that this is the definitive version of the game, since it works insanely well in VR, and with the quest especially there's nothing getting in your way of ducking around obstacles etc. 

Tried out a couple of other new games on the Quest:

-Racket NX: Kind of a 3d breakout/racketball game that seems pretty good so far.  You could think of it as a much better realized Wii tennis if you want, but for 20 bucks, seems like a neat game.

-Pistol Whip: Oculus was pushing this one pretty hard, and it's a little like Beat Saber with guns.  On rails shooter that has a heavy dose of auto aim (without the mod to turn it off).  The Beat Saber analogy falls apart since it doesn't seem like you have to shoot on the beat, but there's definitely a crafted feel to the levels.  Also requires more movement to get around obstacles.  Haven't finished a level with Deadeye on yet (no auto aim I think), but even out of the box, it's pretty good.  Not as good as Beat Saber or Superhot, but still worth a look (also, under $25, and apparently Oculus isn't charging tax?).

• Like 2

Grabbing Stormland this weekend. There’s lots to play out now but I’m more interested in this one than any of the other recent releases and reviews have been good. Co-op, open world goodness in VR by Insomniac = yes :)

I still need to grab Asgard’s Wrath too but, was thinking I’d play through Jedi via Origin first and wait out a sale on AW. Can’t wait on Stormland though. 

5 hours ago, Magness said:

Grabbing Stormland this weekend. There’s lots to play out now but I’m more interested in this one than any of the other recent releases and reviews have been good. Co-op, open world goodness in VR by Insomniac = yes :)

I still need to grab Asgard’s Wrath too but, was thinking I’d play through Jedi via Origin first and wait out a sale on AW. Can’t wait on Stormland though. 

Bruh...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Magness said:

Beta of Oculus Link is out now - let me know if you get a chance to try it:

Loaded up the Oculus software on my laptop and connected the quest, but when I select the option in VR to enable Oculus Link, I get an error in the Oculus app.  Might mess with it more later, but they're not listing the 1050 as a supported GPU yet, so I'm not expecting it to work.  It might be due to this machine having switchable graphics (and I might have to force Oculus to use the Nvidia GPU), but that's probably the last thing I'll try before waiting until more GPU support is added.  I'm not expecting fantastic things from a laptop GPU, but it'd be cool to check it out as a POC with a couple of simple things to start with.

• Like 1

Cool - let us know if you do make any progress with it, I’m. Err curious :)  I think I read that only Nvidia cards are supported for now and that the 16 series cards are the minimum in beta but, that other cards will be supported at release so we’ll see. 

Oh, and in case anyone in the world doesn’t get how big this is - a new Half Life game is coming... in VR... So, all you other games can go home now 😎

• Like 1

So the details on Half Life Alyx are up now:

A new full length, Half Life game set between 1 and 2 featuring Alyx, VR only and features the new gravity gloves. All new physics based gameplay, using the Source 2 engine and free with Valve Index headset. Preorder is up on Steam ($59) and it does support all other headsets/controllers. More detail in the article including the fucking awesome trailer :)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/half-life-alyx-will-fill-in-the-gaps-between-half-life-and-half-life-2/

I also created a new, separate thread for this one. 

On 11/19/2019 at 5:30 PM, Magness said:

Cool - let us know if you do make any progress with it, I’m. Err curious :)  I think I read that only Nvidia cards are supported for now and that the 16 series cards are the minimum in beta but, that other cards will be supported at release so we’ll see. 

Yeah, no luck.  Tried again tonight, and as soon as I accept the prompt to start Oculus Link, it dies.  The GPU compatibility seems to be closer to "fails spectacularly" instead of "doesn't work quite right", which means they must be doing some pretty low level GPU stuff to get it to work (as evidenced by the 0 AMD chips that are supported).  Not going to buy a new graphics card just for this though (at least not without being able to test it first).  Also not sure whether the i7 in my "big" PC will handle it, since it's probably about 5 years old now, and still fine for running a media server (and a bunch of PC games), but nothing that's pushing VR. 

• WTF 1

I don't really expect to be able to run full fidelity stuff on there, since it's a mobile GPU that's built into my work laptop.  It's capable enough, but not a real "gaming" laptop by any stretch.  It would be nice for some PC VR stuff like Tetris Effect and Google Earth, and even some of the oddball things like that KFC escape room "experience".  Would be nice to be able to play the new Half-Life with the Quest though, especially if they manage to get the hand tracking working to match what the Index controllers can do.  

I saw that the Climb released on Quest today-is that worth a look?  I thought it sounded like a cool idea originally, and it seems perfect for the touch controllers, and possibly also for messing with other people when showing them VR and letting them fall off a cliff. 

I also grabbed I expect you to die while it was on sale, and it's not bad so far.  The quest sales really sucked though-they were just about all game bundles that weren't very heavily discounted.  I suppose the platform is still pretty new, but I'm looking forward to things getting to proper levels of Steam Sale (or at least console store sale) discounts :)

Being able to just pick up the quest and take it somewhere is pretty awesome though.  Showing it to friends I think I have at least two more VR converts.

Nice - I liked the Climb and it is a unique VR game and a good one to demo to friends. It uses the Crytek engine so is a really good looking game too. Also, I Expect You to Die is a fun one like a “spoof” of James Bond setups :) 

The sales weren’t great on Oculus this year so I was disappointed too. They just bought Beat studios and no sale on Beat Saber? Lame. I was looking for something like 10% off on newer stuff too like Stormlands or Asgard’s Wrath but nothing. Steam had some decent VR sales on but, it was mostly stuff I already have so nothing there for me either. 

14 hours ago, Magness said:

The sales weren’t great on Oculus this year so I was disappointed too. They just bought Beat studios and no sale on Beat Saber? Lame. I was looking for something like 10% off on newer stuff too like Stormlands or Asgard’s Wrath but nothing. Steam had some decent VR sales on but, it was mostly stuff I already have so nothing there for me either. 

Yeah, it'd be nice to see a discount on some of the DLC, but nothing yet.  I've picked up one of the extra packs, and will probably get more of them as I burn through the existing songs.  Getting up to Expert on those is getting really tough.  Looking forward to the 360 degree mode though-I wonder if that'll be all new tracks that you have to buy?

Bought the Climb, and requested a refund about 20 mins later.  Seems OK, but what really got me was the way the game tracked.  Once you grabbed a handhold, the game seemed to snap/jerk to it a little too much.  Seemed like it was either trying to center to a "known" position, or the quest was trying to keep up, or both.  Either way, maybe if they patch the game it'll be better, but for now, I should be able to get my $35 back for it.

That sucks - I don’t remember any tracking issues with the Rift but, it’s been a while since I played that one. Regardless, you should be able to get a refund so no loss. 

9 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

Climb runs perfectly over here. I use it, among other titles, as a demo to indoctrinate new recruits to the cult of VR.

Might be an issue with the quest port then.  Might have also just needed to reboot the headset?  Anyway, nothing saying I can't re-buy it later if I want to mess with it again.  Probably a little hasty on the refund, but I didn't realize that it was 14 days/2 hours, which is pretty fair all things considered. 

I think it's still in there as "experimental", but cool to see what they're trying.  This is actually one of the things that worked really well on HoloLens when I tried it, and they had a decent gesture vocabulary worked out for how to interact with it.  I'll have to load this up when I get the new FW. 

New patch for Beat Saber is out that adds the 360 degree levels, and they're great.  Songs that have 90 and 360 maps are only charted at one difficulty each, and there's a mix of them, so anyone should be able to try it out.  Also grabbed the Green Day pack while I was at it.  Hope they keep going back and adding new 360 charts to more songs, since it really changes the game up. 

Also grabbed Path of the Warrior, mostly on the strength of Twisted Pixel's previous works, and it's kind of a neat novelty (VR Final Fight).  I haven't managed to finish a level yet because of the motion sickness though.  Seems like anything with free movement is a problem for me, and I'm not sure how to get around it. 

• Like 1