LCVG
Romier S

Oculus Rift - Anyone else paying attention?

For what it’s worth, I had serious nausea with free movement myself at first but, it’s totally gone now. I didn’t really do anything specific to make it go away but, I stuck to games with teleport movement and seated games like Project Cars or Elite because the yaw sickness was so instant for me. By the time Skyrim VR came out, I wanted to try free movement again and I was doing well with games like Marvel PU with quick teleport movement and nothing was making me sick anymore. So, I tried Skyrim with free movement and had no issues; it was just utterly “normal” for me. Not sure what the change was but, I’m guessing it’s more to do with adjusting to VR in general rather than forcing myself to play longer sessions with free movement or anything. Im not sure there’s any trick to it really, I’d say just play stuff you’re comfortable with and don’t push it - as soon as something triggers nausea stop and pick it up again later :)

Good to know.  Just seems strange that after having played 3d and FPS games since...1992 (and wolfenstein 3d), that it'd even be a thing.  The only other game I remember even being close to a problem was Mirror's Edge, and even then it was mostly spectating that was an issue.  I get the physics/biology of it, where 1st person movement breaks your brain, but it still sucks. 

• Like 1

I tend to turn green with VR but, I’ve noticed that my “VR legs” have gotten stronger over time, and can play a lot longer than in the beginning. 

Still, every now and then, it seems like the stars align in such a way that all of a sudden I get hit with that stomach churning vertigo. 

Did about 4 hours straight in No Mans Sky. Was doing great. After taking off from the surface of yet another planet, I turned my head to look out the left window of my ship, as I was skimming over the surface, to eye up my next landing spot. Wham!!! Nausea out of nowhere. 

Immediately took off the PSVR. 

11 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Good to know.  Just seems strange that after having played 3d and FPS games since...1992 (and wolfenstein 3d), that it'd even be a thing.  The only other game I remember even being close to a problem was Mirror's Edge, and even then it was mostly spectating that was an issue.  I get the physics/biology of it, where 1st person movement breaks your brain, but it still sucks. 

i can not do VR its instant stomach churn. I have had a few issues with a few games like Border Lands and SW Jedi Knight where the field of view is not wide enough.

Okay, knowledgeable VR friends, I have secured tentative Spousal Approval for a VR headset, based mostly on her desire to play Beat Saber. 

Been thinking about Oculus Quest, but was wondering if there’s a better choice in that price range?  PSVR or Rift S?

Any insights you can provide would be appreciated. 

Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Quest, imo.

PSVR is for tourists and Rift's modest performance increase over Quest doesn't justify the advantage of being tetherless and mobile.

• Like 2

Quest is the best option in that price range. Wireless freedom + wired PC connectivity all in one headset with good resolution, fit and weight and good touch controllers :)

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!  That's the way I was leaning, just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered.  Can the memory on the unit be upgraded?  Is it worth the extra $100 for another 64GB?

FWIW, I have the 64GB quest, and haven't even come close to filling the onboard memory.  Most games are pretty compact-I think the biggest thing I have on there is 2GB.

• Like 1

I have a PSVR and Beat Saber but from my personal experiences with the PSVR (and what I've read about the Quest), I'd go for the Quest. You'll be able to sideload user-created songs in Beat Saber on the Quest, it's wireless, and you'd have access to the new 360 degree songs (PSVR can only do 90 degree songs because of the need to be facing the PS camera). The only thing the PSVR has going for it is the price, assuming you already have a PS4.

• Like 2

360 degree beat saber is awesome!  Sideloading songs works too, but that really seems better suited for pro level beat saber players.  Just about everything I've found is charted at Expert/Expert+, and I'm still working through everything on Hard.  I haven't checked to see whether there are more user-created 360 degree songs yet, but I'm sure those are imminent.  Only thing that's kind of a pain with it is having to manually re-patch when Beat Saber updates, but it's a minor annoyance every couple months.  It's strange because Beat games were the ones who released the mod tools, so it's a quasi-official thing, but probably also a grey area since the downloads come with music.  Would be nice if it just worked though, even if they tied it to needing to either own the music, or have it stream from Spotify or something. 

• Like 2

Just a rumor for now but VNN are  reporting Valve are working on L4D3 for VR. Apparently it’s due to the massive positive feedback they got on HL: Alyx and because all the Index and Vive headsets sold out. Definitely a buy for me if they are working on it again…

• Like 1

I think I might be in love!  I've only just gotten it set up and run through the First Steps demo and the Beat Saber demo, but man, this thing is amazing!

One thing I do NOT love is the lack of support for multiple user profiles.  Seriously, what the fuck is up with that?  Seems like a glaring oversight, and complicates any games that both my wife and I might like to play (ie. Beat Saber)

Is there any word they might add this "feature" sometime soon?

• Like 3

Glad to hear it man :) and I agree on multiple profiles but, that’s been long requested and still no word on it being added. 

• Sad 1

On the Quest, you could almost understand it. It’s portable so like a phone you might expect only one person to use it. But on the rift on a PC it makes no sense. It’s 2020 for crying out loud. Are we savages?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Whooter said:

One thing I do NOT love is the lack of support for multiple user profiles.  Seriously, what the fuck is up with that?  Seems like a glaring oversight, and complicates any games that both my wife and I might like to play (ie. Beat Saber)

Agreed.  Not having multiple profiles is just crazy...  I usually leave Beat Saber in party mode (which lets you enter high scores by name) to solve the multi-user problem, and most games offer multiple save slots, although in the case of something like Superhot, it's not immediately obvious how to switch.  Rec room has multiple profiles in-game, and Space Pirate Trainer doesn't really have any "progress", so it's not a big deal.

Okay, another n00b question.  I know the data/charge cable that came with the Quest is not good for doing PCVR (at least according to what I've read) but will it work for sideloading stuff to the Quest, like additional Beat Saber songs?

I ordered a cable from Party Link that allegedly will do the job.  We shall see.

Finally tried "Vader Immortal Episode I" last night and was pretty captivated by the feeling of being in a Star Wars movie.  It's not breaking any new ground mechanics-wise, but I had a lot of fun with it.

• Like 1

Also a bunch of stuff on sale for chinese new year.  I grabbed A Fisherman's Tale-haven't had a chance to try it yet, but reviews sounded interesting.

• Like 1