LCVG
Romier S

Oculus Rift - Anyone else paying attention?

Also, has anyone here tried Audica?  Looks like "Beat Saber with Guns", but also pulling in some ideas from that Kinect Fantasia game?  The Harmonix pedigree definitely has me interested-might have to check it out. 

Finished the main journey mode in Tetris effect this evening, and it's awesome in VR.  The gallery it unlocks is pretty neat too, since you can spend more time looking at the environments they created for the game.  Controls are fine with the touch controllers-I was worried about not having a proper dpad, but it was never really an issue. 

Now I just need to find a new 7x7 ft VR space.  Pandemic and a reticence to decrapify ate my old VR alcove.

• Like 2

Just tried Tetris Effect myself. It’s lovely - I mean, it’s essentially Lumines but the game is Tetris, in VR - looking forward to having the relaxed pace of that gallery to see all the stuff that’s going on around me properly, but Miz has really knocked it out of the park on the music experience. 

• Like 1

Ended up grabbing Audica, and it seems really cool.  Probably not a soundtrack I'd listen to outside of the game, but it works for a rhythm shooter.  The game is probably closest to a VR version of the gameplay from Elite Beat Agents, but if it was a light gun game.  Apparently custom maps are also just a matter of drag and drop onto the storage, which is much more straightforward than in Beat Saber.  I ended up giving up on BS mods just because they were all ridiculously hard (and I'm not that good at Beat Saber), plus you had to manually patch the game every time there was an "official" update.  Maybe if I ever get to the point where I'm good enough to need them, but for now, I'm OK with stock Beat Saber.

I also finally ran out of onboard storage (I only bought the 64GB version), so I needed to uninstall a few things to make room.  It looked like there was a lot more space being taken up than the quest UI said, but I'll worry about that when the next thing I want to install comes out.  I'm actually curious about that stealth kayak game that's coming out next month. 

Also, for anyone else with a quest, give the experimental setting for on-demand passthrough a shot.  You can enable it in the settings, and it lets you double tap the side of the headset to switch to the exterior cameras.  Extremely useful for things like resetting your orientation in the environment, or finding the controllers when you put the headset on. 

• Like 1

An update to the Quest software allows for USB 2.0 cables to work for Quest Link, including the cable that comes with it for charging. Performance is pretty much the same with apparently a few ms more latency. 

In the video posted he also tested a bunch of adapters (USB-C to USB-A) and extension cables which all worked. 

Yeah, I saw that-very cool.  Does it report on cable transfer speed anywhere so you can make sure you use the right cable?  I have no idea what the speed rating on most of the cables I have around here is.  Still no wider GPU support though-I'd like to give this a try on my laptop, but I think the 1050 that's in there isn't beefy enough. 

6 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Yeah, I saw that-very cool.  Does it report on cable transfer speed anywhere so you can make sure you use the right cable?

Yes. They have a tool to test the cable to make sure it is compatible and reports the transfer speed. 

On 5/16/2020 at 11:46 PM, Graeme said:

Yes. They have a tool to test the cable to make sure it is compatible and reports the transfer speed. 

Nice!  I'll have to check that out if/when they expand the GPU whitelist. 

Also, played a bunch more Audica, and that game is a blast.  Yes, it's Beat Saber-esque, in that it's a rhythm game, but the gameplay is pretty different, and I find that you're using the space that VR offers a lot more.  Beat Saber, other than the 180/360 levels, could probably have been a Wii game.  Most of the action is constrained to the space in front of you, and besides the sense of depth and a/v immersion, there's nothing that's inherently "VR" about it.  Audica uses a much wider FOV out of the gate though, meaning that you'll need to look around for targets right from the start.  There's also just enough variety in what you're doing (shoot, shoot+hold, shoot+trace, melee, and shoot+rotate) that things can get much more complex.  Lastly, the folks at Beat Games could learn a few things from how Harmonix implemented custom maps.  To add a custom Beat Saber map, you have to download/mod the main executable, and launch utilities from unknown sources.  To add to Audica... connect the headset via USB, allow media access, drop .audica files into a folder.  No modding of the exe required.  Other than adding support into the main application to discover/download content, I don't really know how it could have been much easier.  There are also custom charting tools built into the game, so it's really easy to create your own tracks.

• Like 1

Oculus store sale is up: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/240969233772097/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=crm&utm_campaign=14314&utm_term=P3&utm_content=C2&utm_emailname=questnewsletter20200522_US_v2_owner&utm_funnel=3#/?_k=mdm5q7

Not a whole lot of great deals though, in that nothing is really jumping out at me.  Might grab vacation simulator, but Job Simulator was one of those things you go through, think "hey, that was neat", and never touch again.  Fun, and a good VR demo app, but not something you'd use consistently. 

I do need to check and see whether the new Beat Saber maps are up though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OldDarth said:

Stumbled across this on YouTube - an app for the Quest to increase resolution:

I haven't tried this, how is your experience? I assume it'll lower frame rates, etc. Are you using it for gaming, or just video watching, everything?