LCVG

Oculus Rift - Anyone else paying attention?

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You wait for Epic to sue 'em

Hello from VR! (waiting for install, moments from Alyx) 😀    1st ever lcvg post in vr? 

The Quest is such a big hit in our household that we're going to have to buy another one (wife requested it for her Valentine's/Anniversary present) once they go back in stock on Amazon.    

Posted Images

Resale prices on the Rift look really good right now.  So I pulled the trigger on a excellent condition used Rift S because I am so tired of having to deal with all the sensors and having to reset the guardian every time one of them moves.  Not to mention having to swap out USB cables all the time.  Also figured this was a good time since any new ones here soon will require that facebook BS.  

• Like 1

Lemme tell you what's doin':

Glasses are not optimal. I'm out of contacts and don't plan to go get more in the near future. Maybe I'll get lasik and add that to the cost of VR? It's still good, but not optimal.

Mouse is a fun game. It's simple, but each level is like a diorama with an easy puzzle to solve. Ridiculously cute!

Half Life: Alyx was a "whoa" experience, but I only started the game and played for 15-20 minutes. Wow, though. Looking forward to playing more.

The Rick & Morty game was a hit in our house. Easy puzzling, but darn, it was immersive and funny (for Rick & Morty fans like us).

Facebook account news got me looking around. Looking at what's currently available, nothing looks like much of an upgrade over my trusty Rift CV1 (modded for wireless). Is there some new hotness on the horizon that's going to floor us I need to wait for?

• Like 1

Nothing announced yet but the VR showcase is coming in September if I remember right so I guess we’ll see. I have to say I feel the same and I’m still happy with the CV1 so it needs to be a good upgrade to get me to change. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a vague curiosity about the new HP WMR set that’s coming later this year, as it’s the only model that Flight Sim will be supporting at first. 

Not that my current PC is capable of running the game flat particularly well, so it would be as part of a full upgrade. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

The Rick & Morty game was a hit in our house. Easy puzzling, but darn, it was immersive and funny (for Rick & Morty fans like us).

That reminds me, I finished off Trover Saves the Universe, and it's not bad.  A little like Moss, but filthier, and with a different hook for being in VR, but controlling a different avatar in 3p.  If you're a R&M fan, might be worth a look. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to trying Phantom Covert ops last night (the stealth kayak game), and it seems neat, but I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to play.  Started feeling nauseous after 20 minutes or so.  It's strange, since I've had problems with first person locomotion before, but usually something in a vehicle is OK.  Too bad, since it looked like a really well realized VR experience.

1 hour ago, Magness said:

That’s is a weird one as it seems like a “vehicle style” VR game. Maybe lots of ASW kicking in?

That's what I thought-being in the boat the whole time should trick my brain just fine.  I always attributed the first person walking to brain and inner ear arguing about movement without actually moving legs, but then again, FPS on PC etc have never been a problem.  Mirror's edge was the only thing that came close to being an issue.  Watching someone else play can occasionally be bad, but most of the time if I have the controller, I'm fine. 

So it looks like the quest 2 is real, and $100 cheaper than the original and shipping Oct 13.  The rift is also dead (oculus link only for PCVR going forward).  https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-2-review/

I don't think I'm going to upgrade right away, but that's certainly compelling.  Seems like it might be a half-step console situation with different graphical capabilities on different models.  Had I not already committed to a bunch of big purchases this year, maybe, but we'll see what new stuff comes out and how performance goes on the original "serf" model. 

Now, how about multi-account/guest support? 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rainmaykr said:

The family grows.

Still probably going to get hot and bothered if the next VR headset is PC powered and wireless, but after trying it, the Quest 2 seemed like a more than capable stop gap.

20201013_170832.jpg

I thought Oculus said there won’t be another Rift that they are fully focused on the Quest market space. 

Nice man - and yea, I think Quest is the only headset line going forward and is stand alone and PC with Link so you should be set. The frame rate update should be out before the end of the year too. I can’t wait to hear your impressions using it vs the Rift S on PC (both now and after the update) :)

Nice-I can't justify buying a quest 2 right now, but if they're going to stick to the upgrade cadence of a new headset every 2 years, then maybe there'll be a Quest 3 in 2022?  Otherwise, I suppose we'll see when things stop working on the original. Would be interested in seeing impressions on something like Spatial or Virtual Desktop on the quest 2.  Those were basically unusable for content sharing on the quest because the resolution was so low, and text was hard to read unless it was gigantic. 

That reminds me-Rez Infinite is out on Quest now too!  I should check that out. 

6 hours ago, Magness said:

Nice man - and yea, I think Quest is the only headset line going forward and is stand alone and PC with Link so you should be set. The frame rate update should be out before the end of the year too. I can’t wait to hear your impressions using it vs the Rift S on PC (both now and after the update) :)

That's at least what they're trying next.  If it turns out that Link is enough, then the quest will probably be the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1
On 10/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, ChrisBardon said:

That reminds me-Rez Infinite is out on Quest now too!  I should check that out. 

Bought this last night, and it's good.  I never really played much of Rez before, but you can aim in this using the touch controllers, which might make it slightly easier than the console versions.  Similar to Tetris Effect, it's a cool immersive experience that I think benefits from the focus that VR brings as much as the 3d visuals.  Normal gaming is always coupled with something else going on in the background.  There's a world outside the screen, and you're likely seeing/hearing things that aren't part of the game.  VR demands (or at least provides) focus by cutting off the outside world almost completely, which makes it a challenge to fit in, but also a unique experience. 

I definitely suck at Rez though-only tried it twice, but didn't make it past the first boss. 

• Like 1

Well, well, well, how the turntables.

Piping the Rift and Steam catalogs to a wireless Quest 2 looks to be a more than adequate alternative to a wireless Rift setup. Sidequesting Virtual Desktop was fiddly to get going, and I ended up having to replace the TPCast router with a WIFI 6 router to maximize performance, but once you do there's really no reason to go back to the Rift. I wasn't expecting that.

• Like 1