LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Derrik Draven

The Witcher 3 [PC/PS4/XB1] - Coming to Switch Oct 15th 2019

10 hours ago, Romier S said:

The 360 port is solid but falls short of the visual splendor of the PC release and yes it does matter.

Well, since I don't have a gaming PC of any sort, I'll have to just stick with the 360 version for now. Just pray I don't gouge my eyes out when I see the horrible 360-era graphics. LOL.

10 hours ago, Romier S said:

Either way, whenever you jump into 3 prepare for it to own your life for months. I dumped close to 150 hours into it.

Yes, but you're also a compeltionist maniac, so that doesn't surprise me. That said, if the game is as good as say, Breath of the Wild or Horizon: Zero Dawn, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up playing it for a long time.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

Well, since I don't have a gaming PC of any sort, I'll have to just stick with the 360 version for now. Just pray I don't gouge my eyes out when I see the horrible 360-era graphics. LOL.

In these days of crisp near 4K or native 4K visuals - it's rough.:)

The 360 port was actually quite the accomplishment considering The Witcher 2 was one of the showcase PC titles when it released and for a few years afterwards. It's lacking a good deal of the effects work that gives the game its ambiance and ethereal feel. The hit to textures also jumps out.  It's hardly bad port though and worth playing.  The PC version is just that much better if its an available option. 

I'd gladly rebuy a 4K re-release/port on current gen consoles. It would still hold up and the branching story remains one of the most impressive and enjoyable in the genre, IMO.

Some comparisons:

(PC on the left, 360 on the right)

hqdefault.jpg 

maxresdefault.jpg

As for the completionist statement - Witcher 3 really isn't about that at all. I mean that, too. It's the defining open world game of this generation, IMO. A vast majority of the side content is rich with storytelling and highly enjoyable. The main quests are some of the most intricate and choice ridden you'll play. You'll spend 150 hours with it not out of some commitment to getting rid of icons on a map, but because you genuinely want to experience as much of the game as possible. It's very much a world you want to experience to its fullest.

If it seems like I'm overselling the game - I'm not. It's legit one of the best gaming experience of this generation and its the pinnacle of the open world RPG, IMHO.

36 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'd gladly rebuy a 4K re-release/port on current gen consoles.

Yeah, that would be nice to have.

The PS4 Pro patch is out right now. No HDR support, unfortunately but it looks like 1800p is the resolution along with a boost to performance which would put the game at a near 30fps lock considering the last few patches really got things working very well.

Quick comparison:

PS4:

3-1crop196u9n.png 

PS4 Pro:

3-2crop12iuxz.png 

PS4:

shed-ogu4upn.png

PS4 Pro:

shed-pro70u58.png 

PS4:

thewitcher3v1302wyais.png

PS4 Pro:

thewitcher3v15024rl3u.png 

Wow, some reports from reputable users on the web that the 1800p estimate was wrong and the game is indeed running at a native 4K on the Pro. I can't wait to see the Digital Foundry analysis.

Please add HDR support next, CDPR.

NXGamer has a video. Not terribly clear. He seems to believe its a checkerboard solution but mentions the possibility of native 4K with some dynamic resolution. 

Downsampling included for those with 1080p sets.

I played it last night for an hour. It's gorgeous. The resolution bump is truly glorious. My only complaint is the lack of HDR which would just make this an obscene visual experience.

29 minutes ago, JFo said:

I'll be very interested in how Xbox One X version compares to the PS4 Pro version.

A likely increase in draw distance, improvement in texture resolution and maybe improvement in shadow resolution over the Pro version.

The game is exremely CPU bound and the X CPU isn't really a big jump over the Pro. I'm guessing we'll see the same 4k checkerboard resolution.

I wouldn't go crazy about the minor framerate problems either. CDPR will likely address those in the near future to smooth them out. The support they have provided this game is exceptional.

The big news, HDR is in! Its coming to the Pro as well. Here's the patch notes:

2 new graphic modes: 4K Mode and Performance Mode

support for 4K resolution 

HDR support

enhanced shadows, ambient occlusion and texture filtering

higher resolutions textures

dynamic resolution scaling (from 1080p to 4K)

Pro is getting the HDR patch after the New Years in January. Once I'm done with Okami - its replay time!:)

Curious to see how well the performance mode operates. The dynamic resolution scaling alongside a solid 60fps and HDR? :banderas:

12 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The big news, HDR is in! Its coming to the Pro as well. Here's the patch notes:

I really, really hope they continue the trend and release a patch for PC as well.  I NEED to play this game on on my new 4k projector in HDR!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Someone posted up a 1080p Supersampled shot:

Ooh... that looks nice! I look forward to Digital Foundry's take on the update.

Looks like 4K checkerboard on Pro.

Dynamic resolution scaling on X varying from 2620x1480 to 3840x2160. Looks like a wonderful locked 30fps as well.

Curious if they move to a dynamic resolution on the Pro when the HDR patch arrives as well to mitigate some of those drops?

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

Looks like a wonderful locked 30fps as well.

Indeed. I might actually go for this option when I play the game. Getting all that extra visual fidelity with a rock-solid 30fps at all times is big win in my book. Obvously, if they could run the game at a perfect or near-perfect 1080p60, I'd go for that, but that appears not to be the case. The frame rate is all over the place in performance mode, which is a shame.