LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Derrik Draven

The Witcher 3 [PC/PS4/XB1] - Coming to Switch Oct 15th 2019

It’s actually to be expected. The areas in question with a variable framerate are the most demanding in the game. Crookback Bog and Novigrad are notoriously tough to run and both the Pro and the X are CPU limited as hell. I ran the Witcher 3 at a locked 60fps at 1080p on my PC at release using a years old i52500k running at 4.5ghz with a 980tx but the laptop level Jaguar CPU’s in these consoles can only do so much.

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

It’s actually to be expected. The areas in question with a variable framerate are the most demanding in the game. Crookback Bog and Novigrad are notoriously tough to run and both the Pro and the X are CPU limited as hell. I ran the Witcher 3 at a locked 60fps at 1080p on my PC at release using a years old i52500k running at 45ghz with a 980tx but the laptop level Jaguar CPU’s in these consoles can only do so much.

What's your cooling look like?? LOL

Also apparently causes some significant issues with LOD pop-in. Hope it gets fixed!

- the patch removes the games native supersampling
- the bad LOD happens when the game is displaying at 4K or when you're at 1080p with the system level super sampling on (because the game thinks its 4K basically, thats how the feature works)
- if you have your PS4 set to 1080p and super sampling off the LOD issues are gone (but you're stuck at 1080p obviously and you get no supersampling)

CDPR have said they are aware of the issue and will be addressing it.

So er...

CD Projekt Red is the only dev logo there... suggesting this is an in house job? Given the task of porting this to Switch I guess you'd have to hope they trust nobody but themselves to do it.

So, should I play this game on Switch instead of my Xbox One X? It'll look about the same, right? 😉

540p might not be too bad in handheld mode, but 720p dynamic is brutal. I wouldn't be surprised if the only time the game hits that if is you're standing perfectly still with the camera pointed at a wall.

The appeal has to be one of those things were the majority of people who really want to buy it for Switch are going to be getting it specifically because they want to play it on handheld.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, Angry the Clown said:

The appeal has to be one of those things were the majority of people who really want to buy it for Switch are going to be getting it specifically because they want to play it on handheld.

I'd hope so, or because they don't have another platform. It's a four year old game that looked gorgeous on other platforms. In higher res than 540p. 

40 minutes ago, dogbert said:

I'd hope so, or because they don't have another platform. It's a four year old game that looked gorgeous on other platforms. In higher res than 540p. 

Its also not a game that lends itself to short bursts of play. It’s an involved narrative driven game with multi-leg quests, etc. The last place I’d care to play it is the Switch or on the go, frankly. It’ll be a nice technical curiosity at best for me but hey if this is your thing, I’m glad it exists.

Impressive, but I think when I finally get around to this one, I think I'll stick with the Xbox One version I bought almost two years ago.

Sure. The prime target audience here is arguably those who have already played it and are attracted by the handheld novelty.

It’s crazy that it exists and I kind of love it for that reason alone. Far too big of a game for me to want to revisit though.

PC cross save compatibility appears to have come to the Switch release via a patch this week, along with a number of graphical settings options which according to Eurogamer includes motion blur, blur, bloom, sharpening, depth of field, cutscene depth of field, light shafts, underwater effects and foliage visibility range:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-18-looks-like-the-witcher-3-on-switch-is-getting-pc-cross-save

• Like 2