LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Killzone Shadowfall (PS4) Launch title confirmed 1080p/30fps

Also announced last night. 

Gameplay video :

CVG ‏@CVG_News
Killzone will be a #PS4 launch title, Guerrilla has told CVG

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/PlayStation4/34422/2129017/Killzone_Shadow_Fall%7CInfos_zur_Bildrate_und_3D-Unterstuetzung.html

Killzone Shadow Fall will be 30 FPS at 1080p resolution according to an interview after the presentation. German gaming site 4players.de reports:

Summary:

- Developers can choose which resources they want to use
- GG chose to have 30FPS at 1080p
- They still like 3D, wont confirm if Killzone Shadow Fall will support it

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

iSylqprP2LVet.gif

ibmjWK4FJujp5K.gif

ibkmWFX3ngHLMg.gif

Hm, with the hardware they've spec'd out for the system, I'm surprised they're not going higher than 30fps. Can't current gen GPUs push 1080p with higher than 30fps in most circumstances?

Launch title - give them time.;)

Plus, they'll focus on pushing as many effects and visual eye candy as they can before they go with 60fps....

Well, with what they showed, I walked away impressed. Very much so in fact. I'm not even a Killzone fan - I've always disliked the "industrial" look of the game, but this one looks fantastic.

30fps is what I expected, just like this generation. 60 will be reserved for the fighting games & racing sims, where it is needed most. Native 4k is going to be very rare.

It's certainly very pretty, but I'm just not sure the I'll ever play this one. Would depend on the reviews. It does take an awful lot to get me to buy an FPS these days, though that's not really a direct criticism of the Killzone franchise (I've never played any of the titles). I like the colour palette here a lot.

On Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night they had Killzone on it and Jimmy got to play it.  Still looks pretty good in motion and nice to see other people playing it.

I posted the video of that in the main PS4 tread as it was the same demo we've seen but they had a great hands in with the pad before playing so it seemed more at home in the other thread.

iyhQ9ZkZc4T33.gif

For anyone interested in the tech behind the game, there's a great PDF making the rounds:

http://www.guerrilla-games.com/presentations/Valient_Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Demo_Postmortem.pdf

I find it interesting more for what other studios will be able to do with the power of the console than Guerilla. I don't disagree with the snarky comments though I would throw down the gauntlet and say that Killzone 3 is a fine game. Far better than its mundane and fucking disastrous to control predecessor.

A strictly corridor shooter no more. Some impressions from IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-killzone-shadow-fall-has-made-me-a-believer

Guerrilla Games is crafting what, to me, is most reminiscent of what a game would look like if Killzone collided with something more akin to Crysis. No, Shadow Fall doesn’t take place on a single wide open map that can be explored at will, but it does take place on a series of large, non-linear maps that encourage you – and outright require you – to tackle concurrent objectives in any order of your choosing.

The forested map I played on showed the wall in the near distance. But gamers are still cast as the ISA in Shadow Fall, and at this point in the campaign, I found myself stranded with the Helghast. It was up to me to find a way back to the safe side of Vekta, which required me to accomplish a few tasks, including disabling the alarm system in the area, obliterating the anti-aircraft guns that destroyed by ship and left me in the forest in the first place, and seizing a Helghan dropship to make my great escape. There appeared to be other optional tasks, too, and all of this – save the actual escape – could be accomplished in any order.

Yes, Killzone: Shadow Fall is still a first-person shooter, and yes, it’s as technically fine as its predecessors. But it’s the game’s fresh approach and its emphasis on strategy and patience that really makes it stand apart. Like PS Vita’s upcoming Killzone game called Mercenary, Shadow Fall is a deviation from the traditional formula, and it looks and feels new. Guerrilla Games may very well have something special on their hands, and as a Killzone skeptic turned could-be believer, I can’t wait to see and play more.

It's IGN so take their "previews" with a grain of salt. Still, encouraging to read.

• Like 1

Full 21 minute walkthrough of the game. This is the same "demo" from the reveal except its being played live by the developers, shows a ton more with some walkthrough commentary. If you want to skip to the good stuff, go to about the 7:30 mark when the live demo ends and the walkthrough begins:

Yeah, looks have never been my concern with Killzone. Bland game design has. It looks like they're trying to address that with the more open ended objectives and "playground" style of shooting as opposed to just linear corridor shooting that has defined the series up until this point. 

I have no doubt it will end up being the most impressive game visually of all of the next gen launch titles. Will it be remotely fun to play thoug? To be fair, Killzone 3 was actually pretty decent. The first two games? Laborious as hell. 

I don't disagree with the snarky comments though I would throw down the gauntlet and say that Killzone 3 is a fine game. Far better than its mundane and fucking disastrous to control predecessor.

All right, I have had it with you saying that Killzone 3 is a good game.  I'm going to go download the single player demo and see what it's like.  Lord knows the game is available for dirt cheap at this point.