LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

If you're not sick to death of the franchise yet, here's the next one. It looks Connor is still around and there will be pirates now (so I'm expecting expanded naval combat and more).

original.jpg

It will take some impressively good word of mouth to get me in on this one. AC3 was a colossal disappointment for me.

I finally picked up Brotherhood, but then promptly got distracted. So I should probably play that for more than 30 minutes before I buy another.

First screenshot:

1361901153_2468_1.jpg

The main characters name is Edward Kenway, father of Haytham Kenway from Assassin's Creed 3. Edward is known as a Privateer, Assassin and occasional pirate. The games location is set in the Caribbean on multiple island including Jamaica, Cuba and the Bahamas.

The current game is running on the Xbox 360, but has plans for next generation console's as well.

Cross generation and no Connor. Good first start.

Intrigued... fleshing out Haytham's origins would make things much more interesting. 

If that's really the title though, they need to get Henry Rollins to do a voice for it :)

Officially announced:

Pirate-themed Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag has been officially confirmed by publisher Ubisoft, and will have 60 minutes of exclusive gameplay on PlayStation 3.

Packshot artwork shows that the game will at least be released for PC, PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360.

The imagery confirms its rumoured pirate setting, while a sticker on the PS3 version reveals the exclusive hour of gameplay - the same deal offered with Assassin's Creed 3 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Yesterday, numerous leaks hinted at the game's existence and offered up a few extra details - that the game is set in 1715 and stars a pirate assassin named Edward Kenway - father of Haytham and grandfather of Connor from AC3.

Eurogamer will be able to reveal full details of the game on Monday at 5pm UK time.

qkp2e.jpg

Assassin's Creed is cool and all but I do hope it dies with the current generation.  I know that won't happen but I'm ready for new IP's for the next decade.

Assassin's Creed is cool and all but I do hope it dies with the current generation.  I know that won't happen but I'm ready for new IP's for the next decade.

It peaked with Brotherhood. The annual updates have done it no favors at all. Very little to no interest in playing this one.

This doesn't entirely concern the game, but Penny Arcade Report has a good piece about Assassin's Creed IV and the rigidity of NDAs from the publishers.

Assassin’s Creed 4 reveal proved embargo failure, and rigidity of publishers

From the article:

This series of events took place this week, as a tipster mailed Kotaku a poster that showed art from Assassin’s Creed 4, and it became big news.

The image raced around the Internet, with sites often posting it as a question: Is this the new Assassin’s Creed title? Or they had to be cagey, and say this could be the new Assassin’s Creed title. In many cases, not only did they know the images were real, but they had seen the game, knew many details about it, but couldn’t discuss this without breaking embargo or getting into trouble from their signed non-disclosure agreements.

“The downside of embargoes was on display two days ago when the whole gaming press had to pretend they didn’t know AC4: Black Flag was legit,” Polygon’s Justin McElroy stated via Twitter. “In the end, I think embargoes are good for both readers and press, but publishers have to be agile enough to respond to leaks.”

I just find it amusing that all of this gaming sites knew the leak was legit, but had to pretend they didn't know so as to not piss of Ubisoft.

First thing I thought when I saw the leaked image was: "Wow, that sure looks like the same phone, vacuum, drawer system, and DVR storage unit we have in our backroom." Guess that's one less employee at Gamestop now.

Second thing I thought was: "Hope there's some more naval warfare in it." as that was pretty much the only thing about AC3 I really enjoyed.

Now this looks like a step in the right direction for the AC franchise. Smart money is on this being a launch title for PS4. That day is getting more expensive by the week. :)

-Dean- 

Looks quite nice. I admire the AC series for exploring periods we've rarely seen depicted in games, but as much as I enjoyed Assassins Creed II (the only one I have played), it didn't leave me wanting more. I look at this, and like the setting, but rather wish it was a unique IP now as there seems to be a new Assasinss Creed every bloody week. 

Fucking Ubisoft is going to get me to play another one of these aren't they?

That looks great. :(

Synchronize points now being fast travel points is one of the easiest and most sensible changes they could have made.

Heh, that's what's enticing about the game. It's a freakin' Pirate game with the AC franchise slapped on top of it.:D

Looks like America got the "Oh No, Boobs! Edition."

No crossbones on the flag either, although you get 'em on pretty much every other piece of swag.  What...?