LCVG

PSP VS N-Gage!

heavy liquid

File this in the Rumor Department, but insertcredit.com is reporting that the PSP will also be *gasp* A PHONE! How long before we see a PSP SideTalkin' webpage?

And slightly better than PS2 graphics? I'll believe it when I see it.

The GameXpo is currently going on - and Fantus, our operative in the Netherlands, is on the case! A full report is to follow, but here's an interesting bit he squeezed from an EA rep who's seen the first working PSP kit (we'll let this be considered rumor for now, as the source cannot reveal his identity). He says that the PSP will have phone capability, and an interesting direct save option. Basically there's a button you can press in order to save your game at any time, using Smart Memory. This is tied in with the phone, so that you may answer an incoming call, pause and resume without undue processor overload. It saves and quits when you answer - resumes and loads when you end. Rather nice option. The rep also mentioned that the graphics should be a bit more powerful than that of the PS2. Dutch developers Playlogic just announced their support for the PSP, so more information may surface in the next few days.

And slightly better than PS2 graphics? I'll believe it when I see it.

Have you seen the specs? Two R4000 chips will make PS2 level visuals very possible. The only potential drawback I see is the RAM (what is it with Sony and inadequate RAM?). Of course, with such a small screen the RAM limitation may not be too big of a deal.

As for the phone thing I wonder what if Sony is able to release a cell phone without the Ericsson name on it?

Anyway, here's a rehash of the PSP specs:

UMD(Universal Media Disc)

60mm

Laser Diode:660nm

Dual Layer :1.8GB

Transfer Rate:11Mbps

Shock Proof

Secure ROM by AES

Unique Disc ID

PSP CPU CORE

MIPS R4000 32bit Core

128bit Bus

1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V

Main Memory :8MB(eDRAM)

Bus Bandwidth :2.6GB/sec

I-Cache, D-Cache

FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops

3D-CG Extended Instructions

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32bit Core

128bit Bus

1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V

Sub Memory:2MB(eDRAM) @ 2.6GB/sec

I-Cache, D-Cache

90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core 1

3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon

Compressed Texture

Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)

Hardware Tessellator

Bezier, B-Spline(NURBS)

ex 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 sub-division

PSP Graphics Core 2

'Rendering Engine' + 'Surface Engine'

256bit Bus, 1-166 MHz @ 1.2V

VRAM :2MB(eDRAM)

Bus Bandwidth :5.3GB/sec

Pixel Fill Rate :664 M pixels/sec

max 33 M polygon /sec(T&L)

24bit Full Color:RGBA

PSP Sound Core: VME

Reconfigurable DSPs

128bit Bus

166MHz @1.2V

5 Giga Operations /sec

CODEC

3D Sound, Multi-Channel

Synthesizer, Effecter, etc

AVC Decoder

AVC(H.264) Decoder

Main Profile

Baseline Profile

@Level1,Level2,Level3

2Hours(High Quality) - DVD movie

4Hours(Standard Quality) - CS Digital

I/O

USB 2.0

Memory Stick

Extension Port(reserved)

Stereo Head phone Out

Communication

Wireless LAN (i802.11)

IrDA

USB 2.0

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Dec 3 2003, 06:44 AM

Is it wrong to hope that with all this processing power, handheld gaming doesn't go 3D too? I had kind of hoped that handhelds would remain the last bulwark against the spread of 3D for some time.

Well, Sony doesnt have tons of 2D franchises it can rehash over and over so I assume there will be more 3D. ;)

Battle Arena Toshinden DX anyone? :P

Those specs are impressive, Camp. Hey, I'm all for it being as powerful as they want to make it! I remember hearing that the graphics were going to fall somewhere between the PS1 and PS2. But if they can edge out the PS2, great!

Is it wrong to hope that with all this processing power, handheld gaming doesn't go 3D too? I had kind of hoped that handhelds would remain the last bulwark against the spread of 3D for some time.

I think we're going have to say goodbye to 2D gaming when the successor to the GBA is released. I'm sure the odd title here and there (like Viewtiful Joe) will be released, but most games will be 3D. :(

Hopefully we'll get Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PSP... That would be nice...

If it is a cell phone also I will not buy it. I refuse to pay the extra that they would add to the price to cover the cost of it being a cell. It will also eliminate the ability of it to be played on planes. I know you can turn the cell phone part of phones off to play games on them but try explaining that to the pilot when you are sitting there pushing buttons and making noises out of a device that is also a cell phone.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to having some serious handheld gaming power like that.

I'll believe the specs when it's physically released. Sony's game hardware has a great track history of being hyped as more than it can deliver in the final product. Good example is the upcoming PSX's recent downgraded specs.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Dec 3 2003, 03:44 AM

Do you have a Palm OS device, Mark? I'm diving back into the game world on Palm after a year of basically ignoring it and I'm happy to report that 2D gaming is alive and well, but it primarily takes the form of puzzle, board and word games. In fact I'd wager that for those kinds of games it is the dominant platform. OTOH, I don't think I've seen a single platformer for Palm OS, although they may exist.

Do you have a Palm OS device, Mark?

Yep, I have a Palm M130 I won at a pharmacy recruitment event. Nice little jobby I must say. I've got Bookworm and the usual staples on it already, but I see I'll have to be hunting around for some more goodies for it ;). My problem is that I have to keep my Palm chock full of medical databases and drug information software so there's generally precious little room to do anything with.

I don't think I've seen a single platformer for Palm OS, although they may exist.

I've seen Sonic the Hedgehog played on a Palm before. How that was accomplished, I do not know, but I've seen it.

Yeah, the RAM storage system in Palms is a blessing and a curse. It's a curse because everything resides in RAM, even stuff that's not currently running, and a blessing because you can leave an application at any time and they stay in whatever state you left them in until you go back.

Even on my new Tungsten with 32MB RAM, I've managed to fill up all but 9MB in less than a week!

:lmfao: Stencil, is that you?

try explaining that to the pilot when you are sitting there pushing buttons and making noises out of a device that is also a cell phone.

Well, to the untrained eye, the N-Gage looks more like a mini Game Gear than a conventional cell phone.

• 2 weeks later...

That was posted here in some other thread. I think it's attractive but not very practical. For one the d-pad is curved, it's also perfectly smooth which would make finding the exact axes (up, left, etc) difficult. It looks like it will attract not only fingerprints (no big deal) bit scratches (big deal).

I wouldn't mind if it was shaped like that, but more thought needs to go into the ergonomics.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes but that pic was just as it said, a concept.. im sure they will go through many iterations of ideas and feedback before settling on the final design.. especially after the roasting the NGage has received. It's been posted on various sites that a date of Nov 2004 has been announced for the PSP launch in Europe :D Im hoping the PSP will be a kick up the backside for Nintendo so that they stop drip feeding us ancient technology in the Gameboy and games that i've played many many times already on the SNES.

I would be both shocked AND stunned if the PSP uses anything other than a fancy (and proprietary) non-duracell shaped battery. All the fancy Net-MDs, Discmans and Cli?s do.

In other news, I happened to be buying a new hands-free earpiece in the Orange shop on Saturday, having accidentally closed the car door on my last one, and noticed that the N-Gage is now only ?149 on Pay As You Go. It may be ugly, a hands-free kit may be a non-obligatory purchase, but it is the only PAYG phone that gets you either Bluetooth or Symbian. If it weren't such a giant hunk of plastic, I'd consider making it my next phone upgrade.

It'll more than likely be a Li-Ion polymer battery. These are great because the product designers can shape them in virtually any form and they suffer no memory or recharging problems. It's the same battery you find in many sub-notebooks and in the iPod.

Originally posted by FreakTornado+Dec 3 2003, 08:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FreakTornado @ Dec 3 2003, 08:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pharmboy@Dec 3 2003, 03:44 AM

Do you have a Palm OS device, Mark? I'm diving back into the game world on Palm after a year of basically ignoring it and I'm happy to report that 2D gaming is alive and well, but it primarily takes the form of puzzle, board and word games. In fact I'd wager that for those kinds of games it is the dominant platform. OTOH, I don't think I've seen a single platformer for Palm OS, although they may exist. [/b]

I'm Ot but I got a Tungsten E for Xmas. What good games to you recommend?