LCVG
JoeyN

Comic Book Discussion

35 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

I would not expect the X-men in the MCU for a long while.

My comment does not presume that the X-Men will be introduced soon into the MCU.   I was only  saying that upcoming X-Men comics might tee up future MCU movies ... when ever they happen to be released.  The X-Men might need to be re-imagined since mutants haven't been referenced at all during the elapsed phases.  So for example, you might expect that some world event, like the Thanos snap for example, might "cause" mutants to emerge.  They certainly could start laying groundwork that could be pulled into the MCU in some fashion.  

Would not be surprising actually. They used a bunch of his stuff for the last few avengers films. Hickman is a terrific writer, and I am actually excited to get back to reading x-men again. It’s been a long time.

• Like 1

I've actually pretty much stopped buying singles, but have been buying more trades of things that look interesting.  I saw the solicits for Hickman taking on X-Men though, and I'm definitely intrigued, but I'll probably wait until it's collected.  After reading X-Men pretty consistently from around 1991-2017 or so, then stopping around the last relaunch, I went back and picked up a recent trade and it seemed like utter nonsense.  Jean Grey is alive again (and not the time traveling one, the original), and there's an underwater base called Searebro, and now somehow Cyclops is back?  I suppose that's nothing to be surprised about, but I guess you get out of the monthly grind for a while and you can't go home again.  I just got a little pissed off at the number of "Uncanny X-Men #1s" that I ended up with in my DB.  Marvel decides "shit, nobody will buy this book unless we start over at #1", but then a few months later it'll be "shit, this would be a milestone issue, so let's go back to the original numbering".  Just a mess... 

If you like Hickman though, my favourite thing of his is still the Nightly News miniseries he did with Image. 

• Like 1

eXtermination was the last one I read, and it was pretty good. It wraps up the time displaced X-Men story, which I liked when it started. After that, I wanted to roll into Disassembled, which is what you are talking about, but haven't heard great things like you said. I'm curious of the seeing Cyclops' resurrection and how he gets back in good graces with everyone. 

It is weird they started Uncanny numbering over again with Disassembled when Hickman's books weren't too far behind. 

My fav Hickman stuff is East of West and his Avengers run. But he has a bunch of other really good series as well. 

There's a Marvel BOGO sale going on with Comixology, so might be a good time to catch up on Disassembled 

042f1adb5e47114a604231f8c6a6cb38._QL80_T

I mean look at this...

759072._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Wolvie in brown costume, Cyclops in his 90's gear, that logo... how can I not NOT give this a shot 😄

I think I might skip Disassembled and just read right after that when Cyclops story gets going.

As part of project "buying all new series in trades instead of singles", I finally got Vol 1 of Kieron Gillen's Die last month, and I'm actually glad I waited.  Much better to read the whole arc in one shot, and it's much easier to be able to flip back and refer back to previous issues to help keep characters straight.  Definitely worth a look though-it's basically a take on the old D&D cartoon (which they acknowledge), crossed a bit with Stephen King's It (adults reuniting to confront a childhood tragedy).  Very interested to see where it goes, and whether it holds up long term.  It seems like an ideal contained series, but not sure how far out they want to stretch it. 

On 6/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, Starhawk said:

I'm so off and on with reading comics, and I rarely read anything new as soon as it comes out, but I'm going to go all in on Jonathan Hickman's X-Men new initiative or whatever you'd call it in House of X and Powers of X.

I'm so glad to be reading this on release, because I have no idea where this is going, and there's so much speculation and theorizing to be had after that one issue. 

Just some random thoughts:

Spoiler
  • Is Xavier creating mutants at the beginning? Maybe healing them? Scott's eye was blown out in the last Uncanny run and Banshee died but was alive here. I think they are staying in continuity.
  • Does the font choice give any indication this is not 616?
  • What's with certain things highlighted in red on the info pages?
  • The whole issue has an uneasy vibe.

I have not read x-men stuff since around X-Men vs Avengers, but have been reading  online about what’s been happening. . I have enjoyed everything Hickman has done, other the Secret Wars at the end of his avengers run., so jumping back in was a no brainer.

The first issue of House of X was very good as well, but this is not a new beginning to the story. A  lot of the story beats were set up already in past arcs already, and some may get a bit lost if they have not read X-Men in a while.

Are Inhumans done in the MCU now that Xmen are back?  Frankly, never loved the whole mist gives you powers AOS stuff.  Much bigger fan of mutants.  And with that show totally tanking, wouldn't be shocked if they made Ms Marvel a mutant instead of an inhuman.

Inhumans have been a big part of Agents of shield even before the horrible show. Only reason marvel pushed the Inhumans so hard was because fox had the x-men license. Now there I no reason to. Though they are interesting characters.

MCU never got into the entire Inhumans were created by the Kree, and that all can tie into stuff that involves the Eternals and Celestials, so who knows where we are headed,

Not trying to hype this up too much, but House of X and Powers of X have been the most interested I've been in a superhero comic since I was maybe 13 years old.

I rarely read stuff on release date, but I'm doing it with these titles. It's also extremely rare that I'll re-read a comic so soon after my first time through it, but these issues are so dense with information and ideas that your mind goes wild thinking about where this may lead. Hickman is changing everything. I'm so on board for this.

Not much can be said without spoiling anything though, but I can't recommend it enough if you're in any way an X-Men fan. 

Final trade of The Wicked + The Divine is out. There were tears; Kieron & Jamie really stuck the landing. 

6 minutes ago, iainl said:

Final trade of The Wicked + The Divine is out. There were tears; Kieron & Jamie really stuck the landing. 

Im way behind on that series. One of the team is doing a signing this week at our mall.

18 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Im way behind on that series. One of the team is doing a signing this week at our mall.

As am I.  It kind of lost me along the way, but part of that might just be the sheer scope of the thing, and it might read better in a large batch than as singles.  I have the whole last arc on my to read pile though.  Not near as good as Phonogram was though, and I actually liked the first trade of Die a whole lot more than anything that WicDiv did. 

53 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Is the new X-Men stuff laying the groundwork for the MCU?

Not sure, but I doubt it. Everything Hickman is doing is so new it feels like it's not established enough for a big screen adaptation.