LCVG
kelley

LCVG is 10 Years Old Today - 4/15/03

10 years ago today myself and a Mr. Robot Monkey were talking over ICQ and he helped me install and test the forum software and set up what we know as LCVG.  While Scott, Romier, and myself have been the primary suppliers of the site and the dreamers of what could it be, it's always been the community at large that has made this place what it is today.

So in honor of the 10 year anniversary, tell us how you came to find LCVG and what is your favorite memory with the group.

• Like 2

Romier invited me after the debacle over on HTF. I went back there one time after leaving there and proceeded to get my self banned after a nice e-mail I wrote to Ron (I think that is his name). LCVG has the best community. It's smaller and far more personable. Plus, we have our own village idiot. Yay Keith!

-Dean-

• Like 1

I still remember pretending to take a dump in the office in Wolfenstein.

BTW, I helped out with the 1st major upgrade (remember all that CSS?!), not the initial dealio -- in fact I think I didn't join until weeks after you knuckleheads went live.

Here's a funny thought: What other sites do you still visit regularly from 10 years ago? I can't think of any.

• Like 1

Came over from HTF after all the crap that went down.. Think I went to HTF once since then to see if anyone we used to know popped up in the gaming thread,

FREE ROMIER

I'm another former HTF-er.

I'm quiiiiiiet, so don't let that fool you, but I really enjoy LCVG. It is and always has been the only dedicated gaming forum I read. You don't have to argue about the signal-to-noise ratio here like with most gaming forums/subforums since there really isn't any noise to speak of. We're all here for the same reason, so there's no oneupsmanship, no I-know-more-than-you, etc., etc., etc. There's a tightknit sense of community here that I don't often find on other message boards, I really feel like I know a lot of the people here instead of just recognizing usernames or whatever, and the passion and knowledge that beams out of LCVG make it a pretty incredible resource.

Hey, remember that custom CMS I built a zillion years ago for LCVG? Or partially built? I don't remember how far all that went.

I also migrated from the HTF. God the gaming section there gave me hives. I'm not sure when I came over but I think it was on the first wave.

This place is always the top of my favorites and definitely the site I visit most in a day. Made some great friends, grew the hell up here. Hope to be here pushing Nintendo goods and obscure titles for another ten :).

Like most of you, came from HTF, and this forum blew up when Socom came out... This site and Socom were what I looked forward to every day for a very long time!  I respect the opinions of the members here simply because I know what kind of games you guys like, after 10 years, you know if your tastes equal someone elses... it has been great.  Thanks to everyone!

Tom

I've been trolling here long before Reddit, Facebook, or Google Plus even knew what trolling was.

Or twitter, iPad, Blu-ray, and all the other great tech. Not to mention all the marriages and kids born since then.

I lurked on HTF then came over here to lurk some more, since most of the interesting gaming conversations there were with this group...

Yeah, someone dig up the chest pounding from the Xbox 360/PS3 launch days.  Fitting that we're about to do the same thing now, only we're much older, tired, and indifferent about it all.

Also migrated over from HTF but didn't join as soon as Romier sent me the invite.  Took a few months before I came across it and finally joined in August '03.  I'd say my favorite forum moment is finally accepting that invite from Romier to join him, Joey and Phil over in PA for a weekend.  I was leery so decided to make it a 1-day venture.  3 hour drive over, spent 4-5 hours there, 3 hour drive back.  Guys couldn't have been more friendly.  Decided from then on that, if I was ever invited back, I'd spend a weekend.  I look forward to every get together and even managed to go over this past weekend with my daughter to spend an evening with his family.  I have LCVG as my home page and visit it more than all the other sites I visit... COMBINED!

Having not been a part of the forum when everyone went to those meets at Scott's, I feel I've met quite a few forum members: Jay, Joel, Cameron, Dan, Brian, Dave F, Dave C, Anthony, Todd, Phil, Joey and Romier.  

Anthony was really cool and I wish I'd have gotten to spend more time to hang with him.  

I've met up with Todd on a few occasions (dinner, movie, handball).  We even spent a night watching TV and playing games at Dave's house in Jersey.  

Get to hang with Phil on occasion also.  One of my favorite moments was playing handball with Phil and then teaming with him when 2 kids half my age came to challenge us.  We proceeded to put a hurting on them.  Another one was attending Phil and Diana's wedding.  

Joey and I communicate on a daily basis outside of the forum and meet up for lunch/movie 1-2 a month.  Of course, Dave, Phil, Joey and I meet every year at NYCC.  

And finally Romier.   Wether by train or by car, I always look forward to heading over to PA and spend a weekend with him, Sara, Anya and Abigail.  Without his invite and what this site has become, I never would've met the cool people I've met and made the great friends I've made.  

So yeah, this place means a lot to me.  Which is why I kind of go crazy when the site goes down.  :)

• Like 1

Amen, Angel. I've personally met many of the folks face to face and consider a great many really, really good friends. Moreso than many of the people I know in my every day "real" life.

• Like 1

Came over when HTF went south (the details of which have become blurry).  Remember Morgan?

Favorite memory was the Wolfenstein tourney with Simple Chat and the epic final showdown with Facepasters.  I wish I recorded Joey's meltdown during the semi's.

I have a shit load of memories playing Star Wars Galaxies with the HTFers-cum-LCVGers who played early on.  I think Joel is the last of that lot who's still around here, unfortunately.  Although Nick, who played one of the first jedi, Cleri, might still pop up from time to time.

Video games do not currently occupy as much of my life as they used to but that's never stopped me from banging around LCVG for a decade.

<-- What?  No more "member since" badge?

So we've gone from phpBB2 to vBulletin 3 to vBulletin 4 to IPB.  In terms of servers we rode on Scott's personal server for a long time and then went to paid for hosting and now to Invision's SaaS platform.

I think the worst outage we've ever had was when the RAID card in Scott's server died and we were down for a week, which was only made worse by the fact that I was in San Francisco with work.

SOCOM nights were fantastic, I still to this day believe we were screwed in the tournament.  The Wolfenstein tournament was fantastic we had here.

Life has taken us all in directions we could never had imagined 10 years ago, but LCVG has always been there and always will be here.

Yeah, 10 years. Like Camp, I have a join date here before Romier. That's right. Before Romier. That's how long I've been here.

I came over from HTF like most folk after the various flameouts & ridiculousness. Of course I remember Morgan, Jeff Kleist & the rest of them. Without them, we would be here today... We've had our flameouts, our laughs, our over the top mod counts, and our own nemesis of a forum too at one point. And we've talked a bunch about games.I've been fortunate to meet a bunch of you in person between trips up to the East Coast, a dinner in Dallas or just over a beer to watch a World Cup game, and y'all rock. A shitload of good memories.

So yeah 10 years.

Happy birthday, LCVG!!! I have no idea when I joined, but I appreciate the hard work of those who made and continue to make this place possible, friendly, and worth visiting.

Ah, the SOCOM tourney, where I coined the term Facepasters. :)

The wolfenstein tourney was fun. I loved how you could make your screen name anything. When we (Facepasters) played Men Without Hats, we all changed our names to poke fun at the hatless men. That was great. I also loved trying to get Kleist to rap for us since he claimed he was better than Eminem. :)

Maybe I should wait until the 30th to respond as that's apparently how long it took me to join after getting one of the invites from Romier earlier in the month.

That was great. I also loved trying to get Kleist to rap for us since he claimed he was better than Eminem. :)

SHITS DROPPIN ON TUESDAY SON!

Holy crap. Didn't realize it's been 10 years already!

Damn....I was 35 then. :( LOL, oh well. I came over from HTF, like so many others here. I still remember the Romier incident too. Can't remember who initially invited me to come over here but, I think it was only after a couple months of this forum being up/running. I've strolled through HTF on a few occasions. Probably could count them on 1 hand, over the past several years. I have a subscription at GAF but, I can count that on 1 hand too, the amount of times I've been there.

This is the main forum I go to almost daily. Comfortable here, even when we're bitching at each other, since I've "known" many of you for so many years, it's hard to really get flamed by anyone. Kind of like arguing with your brothers, instead of strangers. That said, I wish I could meet some of you in person some day. Would be great to put faces to the names, and have some beer and gaming discussions.

We're all growing older along with the forum. Kind of interesting how the activity and discussions have changed with the times too. Many have kids, mortgages, and other priorities, that take away from gaming time. Hell, I even have a pre teen stepdaugher now. GULP!!!! Whole new territory for this previously childless guy.

I've gone from spending almost all my time gaming, buying whatever consoles I wanted, and playing as many games, as long as I wanted, down in my darkened home theater, to where I'm at now: upstairs on the couch in the living room, with my wife and gaming laptop. I actually used that to my advantage. Told the wife if I could get a top of the line, loaded to the hilt gaming laptop, I could spend more time with her and still do some gaming. Worked like a charm!!!!

Looking forward to many more years of this forum being around. Would SERIOUSLY miss it, and everyone here, if something were to happen to it. No other website holds that much importance to me. Btw, how does this site stay funded???

Came here from the HTF-SOCOM team and the early days of XBL which were amazingly fun and something I looked forward to. Wolfenstein and the tourney with it was kinda the last big unified thing in the community in my mind, and everything about it was great (Dean's voice of god rants in particular).  Like a few others came here just before the forum actually launched when it was still in its hope it works state. One of the few sites I visit daily and has been bookmarked on pretty much every net capable device I've owned.