LCVG
kelley

LCVG is 10 Years Old Today - 4/15/03

My profile tells me I joined the ranks during what must have effectively been the forum's beta stages on the 10th of April 2003. I seem to recall swapping private messages on the HTF with Romier and Kelley, and perhaps Romier and I were already bantering on AIM at that stage too, letting me in on what was being planned and the idea to bring over the best of the best from the HTFs disastrous gaming forums. So I shuffled over from the HTF, like many, as part of the "free Romier" movement..... though damned if I can remember the reasons behind that blowing up in the first place. As an HTF moderator at the time I had been growing increasingly fed up, however, and that situation became the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

I'd long felt that the HTF was a great place with good people behind it, but it was growing too large prompting the need for more moderators, inevitably leading to an over moderated community. It's a delight then that, over the course of ten years, LCVG has consistently maintained its sense of community. The forum's small size has been its greatest asset. We've loved, laughed, grown, seen many members get married, become parents, lose jobs, gain jobs, and we've mourned some personal losses... boy have we mourned some personal losses. I don't think we'd be anywhere near attuned to each others personalities and happenings in our personal lives were our membership larger. 

I may drift in and out of interest with gaming from time to time, but I never drift out of interest with my fellow friends here at LCVG. I've met a few of you in person, though not nearly enough of you and still hope that will change in future. I've had a very odd and difficult ten years personally, but LCVG has always been a welcoming escape. 

Here's to all of you! (...yeah, even Romier too I guess)

Has it really been that long?  I honestly can't remember when I made it over here, but I was on HTF for a long time, and I can't really remember what all the drama was about back then.  The internet is a strange place, isn't it? 

I joined in August that year - so a little after all the drama.  But, yes, before that time I frequented the HTF.

It is really amazing that it has been that long - and that this is one of the few places online I still visit daily.

Came over from HTF back in 2003.  At this point, it's just muscle memory to come here as soon as I sit down at my computer in the morning.  

My fondest memories are playing online games with the people here, Covak and Anthony especially were great to play with, both because of skill and just being nice people.  Now with 2 kids, my gaming has dropped off dramatically, but I still always come here first thing in the morning and see what's going on.

So I shuffled over from the HTF, like many, as part of the "free Romier" movement..... though damned if I can remember the reasons behind that blowing up in the first place.

I barely remember as well. I know it had to do with Silent Hill 3 and some jack off bitching about the run animation for Heather of all things. I think Kelley went at the guy with some fairly harsh language and I backed him up.  I got banned for it.

I remember waking up and getting either an email or phone call from Kelley about it. 

EDIT: Tried searching for the old thread on Google but they've moved so many times that I seriously doubt they archived it.

Came over from HTF back in 2003.  At this point, it's just muscle memory to come here as soon as I sit down at my computer in the morning.  

My fondest memories are playing online games with the people here, Covak and Anthony especially were great to play with, both because of skill and just being nice people.  Now with 2 kids, my gaming has dropped off dramatically, but I still always come here first thing in the morning and see what's going on.

DON'T YOU RUN FROM ME FISH!

Resistance Online was probably the last online game I truly enjoyed.:(

I barely remember as well. I know it had to do with Silent Hill 3 and some jack off bitching about the run animation for Heather of all things. I think Kelley went at the guy with some fairly harsh language and I backed him up.  I got banned for it.

Brilliant. I think I may have actually retired from moderating at the HTF by that point, as I seem to recall moderating of the games forum had fallen to a few individuals who didn't even own games consoles. I merely tried to use my past history as a moderator to cut you some slack and find out what the hell was going on during the whole mess, only to find it so ridiculous, and the concept of LCVG as pitched to me so appealing, that I just threw my hands in the air and walked away from it and embraced this place as our new home for discussion of all topics.

There was a lot of 'who gives a shit if it plays good as long as it looks good' in the HTF gaming section as I recall. And it was really not understood by anybody who ran the main parts of the site iirc.

The old Rainbow 6 nights on Live were so much damn fun.

It's literally been YEARS since I went to the HTF. I just went over there now to look for that SH3 thread and my god - it's got even more sections that I remembered!

EDIT: I see Morgan is still going strong in the gaming section. Along with someone named Sam Posten. Didn't Sam used to post here? Looks like he's a mod there now (Or Ambassador or whatever that means).

I didn't realize I have been on here for 8 years. I think I was just a lurker for the first couple of years. I don't even remember how I came across this site. I was always looking for a place to talk games without all the fanboy bullshit you find on so many sites so I was glad I found this one. Like quite a few people I don't play games nearly as much as I use to and I rarely play online anymore but I still visit this site everyday.

I can’t believe I missed this thread yesterday.

Like many here, I came to this country from the old world of Home Theater Forum.  I received an invitation from Romier and slowly migrated to this place.  At first I was just a regular member.  Then I became a moderator for a while and ran the ever-popular Nintendo forum.  Then I stopped being a moderator for a while.  Then I became a moderator again.  Now, I’m not a moderator.  I guess I’m fine with that.  It’s not like I ever needed to flex the mod muscle very often with this crowd.

Jay asked how many websites from 10 years ago we still frequent.  Aside from Penny Arcade, Google and Yahoo, I can’t think of any.  Pretty much all of the bookmarks on my browser were added after the founding of LCVG.  That’s an incredible feat when you think about it.  Every other website from that era has either disappeared or collapsed into mediocrity.  Why I still come here after all this time is simple: It has not devolved in the past decade.  The conversation is still good, informed (more or less), and civil even in the face of another forthcoming console war.

Sure, a lot has changed in that time.  The members are less laser-focused on gaming in general, I think.  It’s nice to see other hobbies and interests represented here through the discussions currently active.  We’re still mostly nerds, but nerds with a balanced lifestyle.  A lot has changed for all of us.  When I first joined, I was a loser living in my parent’s basement.  Now, I’m awesome with a beautiful wife, an adorable kid, and my own house.  I don’t know if being a member of LCVG has been directly responsible for all of the good fortune in my life, but it probably hasn’t hurt either.

I’ve also had the good fortune of meeting several members over the years.  It’s always fun to see the person behind the avatar.  I only wish I could have the chance to see my friends more often. 

Happy Birthday, LCVG!  Here’s to another 10 years!

The old Rainbow 6 nights on Live were so much damn fun.

They were. I think Rainbow Six Vegas was the first time I ever played online with any of you - difficult for me given the time difference - but it was always a great giggle. Had fond memories of completing Halo 3 on Legendary with some here too.

It's literally been YEARS since I went to the HTF. I just went over there now to look for that SH3 thread and my god - it's got even more sections that I remembered!

EDIT: I see Morgan is still going strong in the gaming section. Along with someone named Sam Posten. Didn't Sam used to post here? Looks like he's a mod there now (Or Ambassador or whatever that means).

It's in here somewhere: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/158-archived-threads-2001-2004/

You can use the search box at the top right to search that forum only.

I just saw a thread by Kelley titled "Romier, hold me I'm scared... Silent Hill 3 screens just released" Awwwwwww... 

Congrats to everyone involved!

I'm a HTF'er - still am.  Oddly enough I wondered away from there for about 5 years and just have gone back there recently - never go to Gaming subforum there though.

This is the premiere Gaming Site I go to.  The intelligence and passionate gaming threads here are the best bar none on the web.  Plus many of you have been very helpful in allowing me to make informed gaming buying decisions.

Cheers and continued success!

That's a funny thread. I had such drive in my youth to do something interesting and as time has gone on and my priorities changed - my drive to do something gaming related online did as well. 

Not to mention that the me of today would likely find the idea of such an HD focused gaming site abhorrent if it had been presented to me back then.:)

• Like 1