LCVG
kelley

LCVG is 10 Years Old Today - 4/15/03

I just throught of something.  After all this time, we are now into only the second console transition since this place began.

Oh thanks a bunch for the HTF memory jog. Now I'm digging around in old threads from 2001/2003 era. I was such an opinionated dick back then. Glad that's changed.

I was but a mere lurker over at HTF, mostly for the movie discussions.  Jay made me a graphic out of my xbox Live gamertag and not long after that, everyone seemed to disappear.  I had to do some sleuthing to find out where you all went, because nobody knew me well enough to invite me. 

Eventually I made my way over here and settled in.  It's been a helluva ride with you gentlemen.  And you too, Terry, the only remaining female. (anyone else remember KittyKatGirl).

We've had some ups and downs -- A lacklusterTehBias schism here, some hard feelings about rape jokes and politics there.  But all-in-all, this site just feels like family.    And, of course, we miss our fallen friends, Anthony and Covak.

But most all of my favorite internet memories originate from this site, with you guys.  And though I've only met one of you in person so far (Jay, last year),  I count all of you as true, not virtual, friends.

Here's to 10 more years, or until this whole "Internet" fad wears off.  Whichever comes first.

Carlos.

Oh thanks a bunch for the HTF memory jog. Now I'm digging around in old threads from 2001/2003 era. I was such an opinionated dick back then. Glad that's changed.

reggie_notmyproblem.jpg

I still feel bad about the while tehbias thing. That always kind of felt like my fault because I was not in a good place in my life (my OCD was pretty much at its worst ebb and then giving me mod duties on top of that? Fuuuuuuck.) and totally didn't help make things any more fun.

On a more hilarious note, do you guys remember when we were first playing WoW and had no idea how instances worked so we just converted to a raid group to try and cram like 7 of us into Shadowfang Keep? The best part was that we all out-levelled it but still got our asses kicked because we had no idea what we were doing :).

Like a lot of people I found my way to the HTF around the time DVD became popular. I was ecstatic about the game section that popped up there eventually. Of course, we all know how that devolved.  Much like Carlucci noticed, one day anyone worth posting with was gone. After Romier was banned, it didn't take long to catch wind of where you all had gone. I think I messaged Romier about getting an invite after he was reinstated and joined in August of 2003. I mostly lurk here and don't bother going to dedicated sites anymore. Anything newsworthy is posted here damn near instantly. 99.9% of the time, this is the first place I come whenever I get online.

I still feel bad about the while tehbias thing. That always kind of felt like my fault because I was not in a good place in my life (my OCD was pretty much at its worst ebb and then giving me mod duties on top of that? Fuuuuuuck.) and totally didn't help make things any more fun.

Meh. I'm more to blame for that situation than anyone. Hindsight being what it is, we simply over moderated the hell out of the place in an effort to avoid the type of absentee landlord syndrome that broke things down at the HTF. Frankly, I made many of the same mistakes Ron and HTF made. We took on a big forum mentality and did the types of things that get done at places like that. Editing out things we don't like in posts, being too controlling in directing conversations and generally pouncing too early in the process instead of letting the flames die down and seeing if the community can handle it. 

Had I to do it over again, the entire forum would have had a grand total of 3 moderators and I'd have left far more of the policing to the community itself.

What can I say except I made plenty of mistakes early on. At the same time, the tehbias guys wanted to hear nothing I had to say when I was speaking to some of them in private. They had already decided what they wanted to do and by that point I was already tired of the entire situation. I've honestly no animosity for anyone over there (I don't even know if they are still around as I haven't even looked at the site in YEARS). Though I'm sure the feelings probably not mutual. ;)

As for Glen? He just lost his fucking mind and I frankly don't regret a single thing about it. For someone to think I'm being insensitive about rape based on a stupid internet picture? Much less someone that sat in fucking chat rooms making off color incest/priest rape jokes in the PGR chat with the whole lot of us? ...and then to come on the forum and lash out at Joey of all people? Yeah,   :huh_3:

As I get older, I sort of laugh at the "drama" that I used to take seriously back in the day. It just isn't worth my time today. 

Gonna read some of those later on. Like you mentioned, looking back a lot of the stuff that went down was just plain dumb. the stuff with glen still boggles the mind even all these years later.

If enough folks still have it, we should do a Rainbow Six Vegas night :)

q5eV5Ma.jpg heLZxbV.gif 1RT8DNl.gif

You can guess when I came over...

Haha, I remember making these. The black and white one was my favorite. Still is!

Just before I came over from HTF, I remember some guy posting mostly in TV discussions who annoyed the hell outta me. I remember calling him Rainbow Brite because he would use a different color for almost every word for some reason.

you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

Memory lane folks! Memory lane. 

If I recall, I posted that picture as a joke in the Burger King games thread. There was a picture of the King hiding in a garbage can about to pounce on someone walking by.

http://www.lcvg.com/index.php?showtopic=8970

Rape is serious business and no I'm not making light of it, Glen if you're reading!

Haha, I remember making these. The black and white one was my favorite. Still is!

Just before I came over from HTF, I remember some guy posting mostly in TV discussions who annoyed the hell outta me. I remember calling him Rainbow Brite because he would use a different color for almost every word for some reason.

Star Trek dude! Also just adored the word "verisimilitude". It would appear in every other sentence in his 10 page dissertations on why Star Trek was or was not "true" sci-fi.

Had I to do it over again, the entire forum would have had a grand total of 3 moderators and I'd have left far more of the policing to the community itself.

Back then the job of the mod was not just moderating, but also promoting discussion and keeping activity going. Well, maybe that was just my job as I was modding the tumbleweeds in the Gamecube section.  :babyruth

Our mistake there was even having a Gamecube section. :D We should have combined it all into a one big gaming forum right off the bat. I remember having some knock down arguments about doing it before we finally did years later.

The GameCube remains my most favourite home console ;). Eternal Darkness and REMake forever!

And goddamn I STILL do not get the whole Glenn thing. I know exactly what happened and I still don't get it :P.

I agree we've all chilled out over the years. We get a bit excited now and then, but for the most part we're friendly and laconic.

Long gone, Angel. I tried scouring through that archive over there and found every Silent Hill thread except that one. Looks like it was deleted.

I would say I'm down for Vegas, Joey but I'd need a one month Live card or something. I don't want to spend money to reup.

I always thought it was my Blazing Saddles quote that pushed Glenn over the edge. I felt guilty for a while after.    But I still think it's one of the funniest lines of the whole movie! 

Back to the good memories:   One of the best times I ever had on this forum was during the "Midway Arcade Treasures Challenge" that me an a bunch of guys got into here.  We played nearly every one of those games, and got into some intense competition, yet with helpful collaboration,  in Joust, Tapper,  Defender, Marble Madness, Robotron, and a whole bunch more.  We had some sizzling rivalries between me, Secret Vampire, Ed, Calvin, Ryan, and Iain.  

Then, of course, there was the Great Geometry Wars Escalation.  It was so much fun how we all got gradually better, matching and bettering each other's high scores, until Covak left me in the dust for good. 

The XBL leaderboard was definitely a stroke of genius for getting people to keep playing your games.

Carlos.

We get a bit excited now and then, but for the most part we're friendly and laconic.

... I think you mean we got old :D

How many kids do we all have now?

Geometry Wars is one I should go back and visit.

Then, of course, there was the Great Geometry Wars Escalation.  It was so much fun how we all got gradually better, matching and bettering each other's high scores, until Covak left me in the dust for good. 

Carlos.

LOL.  Did anyone every beat Covak's score?

I still have Vegas!

And if you want, Romier, you can renew Live in single month chunks right on Live itself. I do it now and then to play Halo 4 and such.

Geometry Wars is one I should go back and visit.

LOL.  Did anyone every beat Covak's score?

I know I never beat Covak's score.  In fact, that game got me in a world of shit.  Not sure if I ever confessed to this before, but when I was trying to keep up with Covak, I moved a little rocking chair right up to the TV, you know, so my reaction time would benefit from the speed of light and shit. 

Anyway, my daughter who was only 2 or 3 at the time, came running into the living room, and not expecting the chair to be there, smacked lips-first right into it. 

After I finished the game (didn’t even come close), we went to the emergency room where she got her lipped stitched up.  I'm so glad she didn't get a "Geometry Scar" from that.  The ER doc was an artiste with the 4 stitches, and you can't even tell it happened now. 

My wife still reminds me, though.

Carlos.