LCVG

Music/Concert DVDs

Chris

I'm always cautious about buying live concert DVD's because of their potential for shoddyness. It seems that every band has half a dozen DVD's out now, so how do you guys separate the good from the bad? Does any particular website review them, do you go by word of mouth alone, or do you just grab everything your favorite acts put out?

Originally posted by Chris@Dec 3 2003, 04:29 PM

Does any particular website review them, do you go by word of mouth alone, or do you just grab everything your favorite acts put out?

You can find capsule reviews on Amazon, of course. Besides that or word of mouth it's been kind of hit or miss with me.

I've been very happy with my Metallica DVDs (except for the audio default to stereo and long-ass menu intros). OTOH, my Ozzy Osbourne Live & Loud and Black Sabbath Reunion discs are merely okay.

If there are particular titles you're interested in, why don't you specifically ask about them? That would probably help you zero in to what you want.

-j

Dont know what your taste is but my favorites are:

1. Metallica S&M-Powerful performance with surprisingly good sound considering heavy metal can not always sound so great.

2. U2-Elevation tour. Superb sound and I absolutely love the angles it was shot at. You feel like youre there.

Ok, how did you guys know I was thinking about Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Pearl Jam? You been spying on me??

Actually, the reason I asked was I was hoping there'd be some place on the internet I could use for a quick reference, rather than asking here every time I see something I might be interested in.

You can find capsule reviews on Amazon, of course.

Yeah, the problem with those is that a large chunk of them are written by, for lack of a better word, Asshats. "I was at this concert!!! [band X] IS TEH ROXXORZ!!! The DVD will be great! GO BUY IT!"

Not that some aren't okay.

So, Metallica S&M and the new Pearl Jam are good. I'll check 'em out. I'm also looking at grabbing a couple for christmas gifts, anybody seen that new No Doubt one, or "Concert for George"?

U2 at Slane Castle came out two weeks ago and it is absolutely wonderful. The DTS track and the professional camera work made me feel like I had the best seat in the house.

Personally, I'd recommend Metallica's Cunning Stunts over S & M. Both have great sound and video quality, but I like the playlist and the focus on Metallica as opposed to the spectacle of them with Michael Kamen and his orchestra.

And do you have their Live Sh*t: Binge & Purge? It packs a ton of live stuff into a very reasonably priced package. I have the older (more expensive) version that came with VHS tapes. I understand that the DVD's that come with the new package are DPL only and aren't at the same high level of video quality. Still, there's some really great stuff there and the live CDs are great (recorded in Mexico City).

Does anyone here have the Pantera DVD?

-j

Does anyone have any James Taylor DVDs

Oh yeah, glad you brought up that one. I have his concert at the Beacon Theater. Excellent quality!

I'm surprised at the quality some of these artists allow to be released. I had a Kiss concert(I think it was live in Las Vegas). Absolute trash.

Here is a copy/paste of a post I did at the HTF site about this very topic..

I have not seen many votes for a few of my favorite

Concerts on DVD. Here they are in no special order.

Dave Matthews Band / Listeners Supported

Dave Matthews Band / Live at Folsom Field

Incubus ? Morning View (cool extra features)

Incubus - When Incubus Attacks, Vol. 2

Pearl Jam / Touring Band

Sting / A Brand New Day

Sting / All This Time (cool extra features)

(show was held on 9-11 and the band taped a meeting to talk

about what went on, and decided "THE SHOW MUST GO ON!")

U2 / Elevation Tour 2001 / Live from Boston

Metallica / S & M (great sound with the orchestra accompaniment)

I have been wanting to pick up Roger Waters in the flesh.

Those of you that have that would recommend it right?

Just as an up date I picked up the Roger Waters and it is ok not as great as I was hoping though. I also just got the DMB at central park very cool dvd but I might have a biased opinion since I was there. Great show!!

By the way to see the opinion of a varied audience take a look at the original post Music - Concert DVD's Page

You might also want to try http://www.dvdtalk.com for reviews.

Let us know what you decide and you thoughts on the DVDs you pick up.

Yeah, I've already owned a couple of copies of Alice in Chains Unplugged on CD and they always end up getting stolen. Same with Dark Side of the Moon, actually. Why are some CDs more prone to getting swiped than others?

Anybody seen Ozzy - Live at Budokan? Someone recommended it in the thread that Howie linked.

Let us know what you decide and you thoughts on the DVDs you pick up.

Well, I grabbed the Pearl Jam: Live at the Garden DVD the other day. Damned impressive. Highly recommended for Pearl Jam fans. I'll be spinning this silver circle again soon.

EDIT: Cheap, too. $17.99 CAD for a 2-disk set. Not bad.

The only concert/video DVD I have is Dead Can Dance and it's amazing...I was stupid enough never to see them live so this is the next best thing.

I see that Skinny Puppy has "Ain't it Dead Yet?" out on DVD now, I'm tempted to get it even though I don't listen to them that much, they are one of the few bands that altered my view of music.

• 2 months later...

I received the Tencious D Masterworks DVD for Xmas, haven't watched the actual concert footage yet. But judging from the extras disc, if you like D but feel they haven't quite gone far enough (!), then this is a must own disc. I can't really describe what they do in their short films section, but I guarantee no band has ever done anyhting like it. Let me oput it this way: you couldn't show this stuff on HBO, it's just too far gone...

I need to watch the concert soon, I'm sure it's pure D and delicious.