LCVG

Insomniac reveals Sunset Overdrive - Exclusive to Xbox One

Romier S

The climb up the high rises to look for Max's parents was fantastic! I had a blast with that and his fathers message to him.. :lawl

I only wish I could play my own music in the background. Everything is really clicking with me right now except for being utterly sick to death of punk rock music.

• 2 weeks later...

All finished up. Suffice it to say that I took in as much of the game as I possibly could. Truth be told, I took in a little more than I should have as I was pretty much ready for it to end by the time I got to the last mission. I played so damn much of it over the past two weeks I'm on Sunset overload.

The short of it - its the best game on the console by a long stretch. When its good its one of the best releases of the year and constitutes the strongest exclusive on either the PS4/Xbox One. I'll get my complaints out of the way since they are brief:

- As great as the missions and challenges are, so many of them come down to basic fetch quests that the game leans heavily on its traversal/gameplay to keep you interested. If you dislike open world games that litter your map with collectibles, you're going to have a tough time with this game. The currency to buy amps include 150 floating balloons, overcharge signs, smelly sneakers, toilet paper, etc. That's 150 of each by the way. 

- The music is like a nail in my ears. I detest the Ramones and a vast majority of punk rock and the soundtrack is pretty much just that and its so god damned repetitive that you'll wish to god that the Xbox One supported the ability to play whatever music you want in the background.

- The fact that the challenge icons on the map don't change to tell you whether you've completed them or not seems like a really silly omission. Maybe I'm missing something there but its really tough to keep track of which ones you've done and which you haven't. 

...and that's about it, really. The minute to minute gunplay, environment traversal and fourth wall breaking story are a fucking treat that anyone that owns an Xbox One should experience. Content wise you won't be want for things to do. I spent about 25 hours with the game and I still had plenty of stuff left on my map by the time the credits rolled. I'll say more tomorrow after I've had a chance to digest the experience but yeah - buy it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded it this morning in about an hour, but then didn't have time to play much.  I figured I'd get the game anyway, but this way I get to at least have a quick look at it, and then when I run out of other stuff to play, this will be sitting there on the HD.  Going to wait to buy until a price drop or lack of other games in the queue-whichever comes first.