LCVG

The Order 1886 - Ready At Dawn/Sony Santa Monica (PS4) - Delayed to 2015

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They could say those things about most major releases this year and yet they choose now and to single out this game. And then sites like this wonder why they are accused of bias.

Waited in line for this one.  I liked it, but I don't have much to add, as I pretty much played the scenario from the first gameplay trailer.  The rifle you use was fun though,  You fire thermite flec

That guy looks more badass than any bald space marine I've ever seen.

Update is out with the addition of a new photo mode:

http://phoneia.com/the-order-1886-is-updated-with-photo-mode/

Some unique capabilities of Order 1886 photo mode:

- ability to freely move camera around gameworld [however camera is locked in cinematics]
- ability to remove enemies/galahad from gameworld for clearer shots
- built-in game effects such as film grain/focus/lens flares can be modified [or turned off]
- color grading lock, enabling to continue playing the game with different visual styles

qeeevl.gif

• 2 months later...

Well this was a short game, bought Friday, Trade it in today (Bought at $20, Trade in at $17.60). Worth the $2.40 total I paid for the experience.

I did get the sense that AI was definitively very early last gen. Level design wasn't great either.

The thermite gun was great - but most other guns lacked...punch.

Graphics and production values are top notch - no aliasing in sight....But....almost no interaction with anything either which is a bummer.

Also what's the pointless looking at things...there was no story or gameplay element to that at all....

Part of me wants to pick this up when it eventually goes on sale for real cheap this holiday season. Another part of me says there are better games I should be playing instead, so why waste the time and money?

At the very least, it sounds like it's short, which might make it easier to fit into a busy gaming schedule.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

So I had accidentally tipped over the Collector's Edition statue that had come with this game and needed to do some minor repair to fix a broken piece (it looks brand new now) but it forced me to revisit the CE box and some of the materials and it just put me in the worst mood to replay the game. 

For context, I had not revisited the game since its initial release. I remember liking it well enough despite some egregious flaws and thinking that reviewers were being overly harsh. After replaying the game after several years of advancements in the generation, my feelings really haven't really changed much. Though I understand why reviewers were less willing to put up with some of the issues. 

This is still a deeply flawed third person shooter. Its controls are too deliberate, it doesn't feel exceptionally great to play but at the same time? It has some really good pitched firefights in the second half of the game. The Lycan battles are QTE driven but simple fun and it has an incredible atmosphere and sense of time and place. Nearly 5 years on from its initial release, its still one of the most visually striking games on the platform to boot. Ready at Dawn were far ahead of the curve technically with this game. From the amazing use of lighting to the materials driven objects - its just a damned treat to behold. The character models remain some of the best of the generation. It's a damned shame that the game never got a Pro patch. If there's any complaint to be leveled its that the overall image quality is a bit soft but then that's also due to the nature of the temporal antialiasing used. The story is also engaging and pretty well written. It's nothing that hasn't been done before but the lore surrounding the Order and the blackwater is really interesting. It's an Victorian version of Underworld with more interesting characters.

In the end, its a game of missed opportunities. It's a whole lot of flash with far less substance. It's preoccupied with being a Gears of War clone but doesn't get the pacing right and the way it limits the use of the more enjoyable weapons in the game kneecaps the entire experience. I would have enjoyed seeing what kind of evolution RAD would have brought to the table with a sequel but it was not to be. I still enjoyed my time with it as one of the earliest PS4 exclusives and despite its list of problems, I can't bring myself to hate it.

• Interesting 1
6 minutes ago, King of All Cosmos said:

Wasn't it a PSN+ offering the same month as Knack?

I can't verify the accuracy of this page, but I did a quick find on it and could not find either "order" or "1886" anywhere on it.

Apparently, the other PS4 game offered the same month as Knack was RiME.

8 minutes ago, King of All Cosmos said:

Wasn't it a PSN+ offering the same month as Knack?

I don’t think it ever hit, no. It was often requested but never happened.

If it hit prior to 2019 when I still had a PS4 then I’d have absolutely played it, so no unless it happened last year it was never amongst the monthly handouts. I was always curious about playing it.

It did hit VERY low prices on PSN Store I think? I almost want to say sub £10 a couple of times, but I was always distracted by stuff I wanted more (and quietly convinced it was destined for PS+).

13 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

If it hit prior to 2019 when I still had a PS4 then I’d have absolutely played it, so no unless it happened last year it was never amongst the monthly handouts. I was always curious about playing it.

It did hit VERY low prices on PSN Store I think? I almost want to say sub £10 a couple of times, but I was always distracted by stuff I wanted more (and quietly convinced it was destined for PS+).

Yes, it could be bought for $4 at certain points. Absurdly cheap.

10 minutes ago, King of All Cosmos said:

Whut? Its absence was such long-running joke that I didn't even notice it actually got offered. It's not in my library, so I must not have checked the store that month. I don't feel like I missed anything, but I wouldn't mind RiME.

RiME was a good little indie game. By the time Knack was offered, I had already purchased it because it went on sale for really cheap: $7.99 according to my receipt.

Oh, and I only paid $9.00 for The Order: 1886. Worth it at that price. A rip-off at $60.

I still think about this game sometimes so it was good to read your replay on it. I loved the setting and story and “world building” they did on this and I still think about the zeppelin :) I wish it would get a sequel someday. 

8 hours ago, JFo said:

RiME was a good little indie game. By the time Knack was offered, I had already purchased it because it went on sale for really cheap: $7.99 according to my receipt.

I loved RiME while I was playing it and then that ending broke me.