LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

There's an R rated extended 'Ultimate' cut waiting in the wings for home video...

The theatrical cut of BvS runs 2 hours and 31 minutes, which is already an epic length. But following the lead of Peter Jackson’s expanded versions of The Lord of the Rings, Snyder said he thought the Blu-ray and digital download editions of BvS could sustain some bonus material. (They aren’t saying yet how much longer the director’s cut will be.)

“We were just like, ‘Okay, look. We’re not making a three-hour movie. I mean, even I didn’t want to make a three-hour movie,” Snyder says. “I drove the cuts probably harder than anyone. The studio, they were willing to let the movie indulge pretty hard. But I felt like it’s at a manageable two-and-a-half hours. Let’s also not forget the credits are super long, the end credits. So the movie’s closer to two hours and 22 minutes.”

One of the things cut from the theatrical release: A mystery character played by Jena Malone. Fans have been speculating about who she plays for months – and they’ll have to wait a few more before they find out.

“I think we should keep it private, but it’s nothing that’s been talked about,” Snyder says. “She’s definitely not Robin or Batgirl. I’m happy to say that.”

Some of what’s being added to the “Ultimate Edition” counts as a spoiler, so we won’t reveal all of the extra material. Suffice to say, some minor characters in the theatrical cut are given expanded storylines. And a few other actors will join Malone in being rescued from the cutting room floor.

Roven, who’s also producing this August’s Suicide Squad, another film in the DC movie universe, confirms that that movie – about a team of villains recruited to do the right thing on a deadly mission – won’t go for the R-rating in theaters. “I think right now we’re going for the PG-13. I don’t know that that’s going to materially change,” he said. “We can give that movie the edge that it needs and still maintain a PG-13.”

Affleck, who is considering both directing and starring in a stand-alone Batman film in the DC movie universe, says he’s glad the genre has become so widely embraced that it can sustain different types of superhero films. As long as there are options, he says he’s for it.

“These movies have definitely evolved from being comic books for children aimed at kids. Now they’re the most mainstream movies made, the most successful, the most widely viewed movies these days,” he says. “Clearly there’s a big enough audience. I think it’s cool. Why not have an R-rated version that you release for download or on DVD later? I think that’s smart.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/04/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-r-rated-ultimate-edition

Bit more information at the link. When are reviews due to surface?

Reactions are out from last nights NYC premiere and they appear to be positive, review embargo lifts on 3.22 at 3PM.

My problem with the previous movie was that the director/writer disrespected the characters over and over again, having them do and say things that were seemingly good for the story, scene, or action sequence, but betrayed the characters motivations.  "You know what would be cool, if the character did this?" "But the character would never do that sir." "Who cares, it will be cool."

I HATED the movie because of that.  I hope they clean that up.

My problem with the previous movie was that the director/writer disrespected the characters over and over again, having them do and say things that were seemingly good for the story, scene, or action sequence, but betrayed the characters motivations.  "You know what would be cool, if the character did this?" "But the character would never do that sir." "Who cares, it will be cool."

I HATED the movie because of that.  I hope they clean that up.

You're aware this is Zack Snyder you're talking about, yes?

"disrespected the characters over and over again" ""But the character would never do that sir." "Who cares, it will be cool.""

People keep saying that, but it's not really true. Superman has not always been just the character as portrayed by Christopher Reeves. It's just the one that people know from the movies. 

To me the best version of Superman was in the Justice League  and then Justice League Unlimited Animated series. He was not perfect. They had an entire storyline during the entire run about it. Can these heroes be trusted, what is going too far to protect people, and what would happen if they went too far. There was even a huge battle with Darkseid where a ton of buildings were destroyed, and he didn't rescue anyone :)

The only thing that bothered me in Man of Steel was Pa Kent and his entire thing about keeping secret instead of helping people, and his death scene. That was the one thing that was way wrong.

I felt that Man of Steel was a miserable film, devoid of any charm and with a senseless orgy of destruction for the sake of destruction at the end. I will say that I am glad they took criticism of all that carnage at the end of the last film and turned it into a plot point in Batman v Superman. I don't mind Superman still trying to find his way, or even being a bit of a prick. I'm not a massive Miller/Dark Knight Returns fan, but I was always intrigued by how Superman was Reagan's bitch and that it made light of what a boy scout he was. I'm curious if they can really tap into that in the new film by having more layers to Batman's issue with Superman beyond the fact he laid waste to half a city and an entire farming community. The political layer doesn't seem to be there in BvS.  

I felt that Man of Steel was a miserable film, devoid of any charm and with a senseless orgy of destruction for the sake of destruction at the end.  

Cosigned. I would add that its miserable primarily because it doesn't know what it wants to be. Snyder wanted to make the loud Superman wrecks shit movie and shoved in an origin story that didn't fit and felt tonally out of place. I would have almost preferred an outright dumb action movie to the half measure we got instead. Not a fan at all. It's primarily the reason why I have little to no excitement for BvS. 

"disrespected the characters over and over again" ""But the character would never do that sir." "Who cares, it will be cool.""

People keep saying that, but it's not really true. Superman has not always been just the character as portrayed by Christopher Reeves. It's just the one that people know from the movies. 

To me the best version of Superman was in the Justice League  and then Justice League Unlimited Animated series. He was not perfect. They had an entire storyline during the entire run about it. Can these heroes be trusted, what is going too far to protect people, and what would happen if they went too far. There was even a huge battle with Darkseid where a ton of buildings were destroyed, and he didn't rescue anyone :)

The only thing that bothered me in Man of Steel was Pa Kent and his entire thing about keeping secret instead of helping people, and his death scene. That was the one thing that was way wrong.

Joey, we're saying the same thing.  I'm just expanding on what you're saying.  Yes, Pa Kent's actions and advice didn't make sense, and I would include that in my criticism of character disrespect i think.  But I'm not just talking about Supeman's character.  It was all over the place.  Remember when the army women said something in front of her superior officer like "He's hot" or something stupid like that.  A soldier would never say that in front of her superior officer like that.  It was disrespectful to have her say that for a cheap laugh.  The whole move was like that, over and over.  Characters did and said things that didn't make sense, they were just going for the cheap laugh or cheap action that looked cool or that helped move the story in the direction they wanted.

If you disrespect the characters, even the non-main characters, I am not going to like your movie.  Because I am not going to like your characters.

" Remember when the army women said something in front of her superior officer like "He's hot" or something stupid like that. A soldier would never say that in front of her superior officer like that. It was disrespectful to have her say that for a cheap laugh"

I remember you saying that back when the movie came out. And I remember saying usually yes normally , but if she is his assistant and they are always together, miliatary do talk like normal people sometimes. They are not robots.

I don't remember much about Man of Steel, I think I thought it was alright, but I do remember getting tired of watching Superman/Zod getting thrown through buildings over and over and over again.

I dozed off during Man of Steel. Not a good way to watch it as whenever I would wake up, it seemed disjointed and confusing. It was a lousy way to tell a story and the big battle at the end felt like something straight out of a Micheal Bay film. Just not what I wanted from a Superman movie.

I still think they are trying to do way too much with this movie in hopes of quickly creating their own version of the MCU, and I think ultimately that will hurt the movie. But I am definitely going to go see it this week and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Bottomline, those impressions were positive.  I have tickets for next week.  Expectations were super low.  Now my expectations are higher.  I'm excited.  Ready to be disappointed when Wonderwoman refers to Batman as "hot" to make Superman jealous.

Really can't be ideal having your movie about whether superpowers unchecked by democratic limitations are a sensible idea so close to Civil War, so I sort of feel sorry for them there. But I honestly found Superman Returns less dull than Man Of Steel.

Many are particularly harsh. A few samples:

If there's any justice, dawning or otherwise, at the multiplex, audiences will reject Zack Snyder's lumbering, dead-on-arrival superhero mélange, a $250 million tombstone for a genre in dire need of a break.
Jim Vejvoda, IGN

In Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the Dark Knight and the Man of Steel duke it out and the audience loses.
Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out

Marvel can rest easy. Zack Synder's superhero showdown is a meatheaded, humourless mess that makes little sense and squanders its cast - especially the women
William Bibbiani, CraveOnline

Slash Film describes it as a "messy spectacle" with too many religious allegories (worse than MoS!) and bloated by the Justice League set ups. http://www.slashfilm.com/batman-v-superman-review/

The trade reviews (Variety, Hollywood Reporter) are not so bad, but still call it out for being a rather jumbled, noisy and unfocused affair.  

http://screencrush.com/batman-vs-superman-review/

There’s probably a really interesting movie about the ideological divide between Batman and Superman, but on the basis of Dawn of Justice, I’m not sure Zack Snyder was the man to make it. The questions he asks are too straightforward and the resolution he arrives at after all that talk and too few setpieces is way too simple. Instead of playing up the differences between the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight, Batman v Superman flattens them. For all his high-horsing about Superman’s transgressions, Batman mows down loads of people in his Batmobile and Batwing (both equipped with enormous machine guns) and he beats up bad guys with alarming ferocity (he paralyzes at least one guy for life, if the poor dude survives at all). At times, Affleck’s Bruce Wayne seems less worried about Clark Kent’s powers than jealous of them. This Batman may be right about this Superman, but he’s also a hypocrite. If he’d stop trying to kill him for two minutes, he’d realize how much they have in common. Batman and Superman have no reason to fight. These two “heroes” deserve each other.

Read More: ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Movie Review | ScreenCrush | http://screencrush.com/batman-vs-superman-review/?trackback=tsmclip

Ouch...

But if Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer’s script hobbles Eisenberg, it judo-sweeps the feet out from under every woman in sight. Both Adams’ Lois Lane and Diane Lane’s Martha Kent are serial victims, Holly Hunter’s potentially sparky role as a senator prepared to stand up to Luthor never coheres, and until the big finish, Gadot isn't called on to do much but slink.

It’s a Men’s Rights loon’s dream of meathead orthodoxy, and leaves you wondering if Mad Max: Fury Road and Star Wars: The Force Awakens actually happened. Imagine Affleck, standing shirtless in a dungeon, repeatedly thumping a bus tyre with a sledgehammer. Got it? Good: that’s not just what the film feels like, it’s a real scene from it. And that’s all you need to know.

Oh lord... the headline for GQ's review alone... Ooof..

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/batman-v-superman-review

And of course now he’s squaring off against Batman, for reasons that even the film can’t quite understand. “He has the power to wipe out the entire human race,” says Ben Affleck’s Batman of Henry Cavill’s Superman. “If we believe there is even a one percent chance that he is our enemy, we have to take it as an absolute certainty.” Bruce, you’re meant to be among the smartest men on Earth and you can’t tell 1 per cent from 100 per cent? That makes literally no sense.

That made me laugh for some reason.