LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

The Rotten Tomatoes score currently ranks it BELOW Wiseau's 'The Room'.... That's extraordinary. Honestly I thought the aggregated reviews would place it in the 60% region. It's half that! Some people have to be out to get it surely? It cannot be that atrocious.

Buddy saw it & hated it, and his tolerance for bad comic book films is ridiculously high normally...

I was more excited once I saw the last trailer but all these comments now have brought my expectations so low, that now I can't imagine NOT liking it on some level.

I'm going in expecting total shit. So at this point anything above that will be good for me. :)

The Rotten Tomatoes score currently ranks it BELOW Wiseau's 'The Room'.... That's extraordinary. Honestly I thought the aggregated reviews would place it in the 60% region. It's half that! Some people have to be out to get it surely? It cannot be that atrocious.

That's the fundamental flaw with the RT system. If you look at the "average score" bit, The Room is far lower. The Percent Fresh measures how many critics said it was good, not how bad those that disliked it thought it was.

So there's the same consensus that Dawn Of Justice isn't a good film, even if most are giving it a mediocre 3 out of 5 rather than an almighty kicking.

That's the fundamental flaw with the RT system. If you look at the "average score" bit, The Room is far lower. The Percent Fresh measures how many critics said it was good, not how bad those that disliked it thought it was.

So there's the same consensus that Dawn Of Justice isn't a good film, even if most are giving it a mediocre 3 out of 5 rather than an almighty kicking.

True, true...

The Ars Technica review branding it "The Showgirls of superhero films" is another doozy:

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/03/batman-v-superman-the-showgirls-of-superhero-films/

First Wonder Woman film image:

http://nerdist.com/wonder-woman-and-the-amazons-stand-tall-in-first-photo/

WonderWoman21.png

I have to admit - Gal is looking pretty amazing in that picture.

Far left is Lisa Loven Kongsli, a Norwegian actor who’ll be new to most American audiences, playing Themyscira war hero Menalippe, Wonder Woman’s aunt. Beside Gadot is her to-be screen mother Connie Nielsen, as the revered Queen Hippolyta. And far right, the most recognizable face of the bunch: the great Robin Wright, playing the (arguably) even greater General Antiope, also an aunt to Diana.   

Have many BvS reviews had much to say about Gadot and Wonder Woman in the film? The superhero movie genre really needs and deserves that standalone movie to be a success.

More Synder explaining Batman in the movie:

I tried to do it in a technical way. There’s a great YouTube video that shows all the kills in the Christopher Nolan movies even though we would perceive them as movies where he doesn’t kill anyone. I think there’s 42 potential kills that Batman does! Also, it goes back and includes even the Tim Burton Batman movies where this reputation as a guy that doesn’t kill comes from.

So, I tried to do it by proxy. Shoot the car they’re in, the car blows up or the grenade would go off in the guy’s hand, or when he shoots the tank and the guy pretty much lights the tank [himself]. I perceive it as him not killing directly, but if the bad guy’s are associated with a thing that happens to blow up, he would say that that’s not really my problem.

A little more like manslaughter than murder, although I would say that in the Frank Miller comic book that I reference, he kills all the time. There’s a scene from the graphic novel where he busts through a wall, takes the guy’s machine gun…I took that little vignette from a scene in The Dark Knight Returns, and at the end of that, he shoots the guy right between the eyes with the machine gun. One shot. Of course, I went to the gas tank, and all of the guys I work with were like, ‘You’ve gotta shoot him in the head’ because they’re all comic book dorks, and I was like, ‘I’m not gonna be the guy that does that!

I mean...dude. 

Talk about completely not understanding what The Dark Knight Returns was actually about. Much less admitting to using a fan made youtube video to justify your characters motivations... :what 

I've honestly never outright disliked Snyder as a filmmaker. These past few days have helped me to move in that direction. :/

You don't have to see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Justin McElroy:

There was a good long while when the thrill of seeing comic book characters in a movie theater was enough to justify a ticket, or at least it was for me. We, as fans of superheroes, needed to show the Hollywood establishment that these characters belonged in movies. We needed to prove that we were there. That we'd show up.

But we're past that point, now, right? I mean, we're on our third Spider-Man for crying out loud, surely Hollywood has gotten the message that superheroes are big business.

Maybe it's time to send a different message. Maybe the message we could send now is that fans of superheroes aren't a feeder bar to be pressed for a guaranteed payday. Maybe the message is "If you're going to do it, do it right."

Pretty much how I feel. There are too many comic book and superhero movies and TV shows being made today for us to waste our time and money on mediocre efforts like Batman v. Superman.

Pretty much how I feel. There are too many comic book and superhero movies and TV shows being made today for us to waste our time and money on mediocre efforts like Batman v. Superman.

People will still go though. I don't know what it would take to remind audiences they can demand better. It's probably impossible (as Iain noted, just look at the Transformers franchise). When it costs as much as it does to see a movie these days, people just want familiarity (which nowadays tends to mean brand familiarity).

A couple of pages back, somebody called it a "jumbled, noisy and unfocused affair".  That's perhaps the best way I can describe it.  It's a long movie, that doesn't feel fulfilling or fully fleshed out.  I feel like the movie could have had some promise especially as a follow up to the end of MOS.  But it just ended up feeling like a like a clipshow desperately trying to follow a story that's not really coherent.

Enough with the flashbacks to Thomas and Martha Wayne dying.  We saw it twice this movie?

So Batman kills now?  (I haven't read this thread completely, this may have been discussed).  Or were those shock bullets like the Arkham games?

Zack Snyder made it loud and look cool....that's about it.  (He does make a damn good trailer) 

I particularly liked the wide angle shots that made Superman look tiny as he was flying (falling?) by the buildings through the air.  

Quick Question.  We call them "Meta Humans"?  IS that new or is that what they've been referred to before?

Who was the meta human scientist?  Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman and the one with the dot & circle?

I don't know if the Rotten Tomato score is accurate.I liked it way more than the 31% it's getting.

This movie did a good job of getting me to want to see a Wonder Woman movie. Gal Gadot did better than I thought she would.  

So did Eisenberg.  I enjoyed his take on Lex Luthor.

Cyborg was the other. The scientist is his father. They use term meta humans on earthlings with super abilities on flash. WW has never been called that as she is the daughter of a god.

Holy bloated garbage, Batman!

Seriously, unmitigated trash that has no concept of what Superman is as a character much less Batman.

The final fight is nothing more than really loud noises that doesn't matter one iota cause you don't give a shit.

Its everything that was wrong with Man of Steel times 10.

The masochistic part of me wants to see it asap. :)

I'll wait to see it as cheaply as possible. I'm not even going to give the 70mm print the time of day so will seek out a cheap digital screening in a couple of weeks.

Some guys at work to a free showing this morning, none of them came back happy.  I want my money back was a commonly uttered phrase.

I don't know if the Rotten Tomato score is accurate.I liked it way more than the 31% it's getting.

To clarify, I think this is how Rotten Tomatoes works,... Rotten Tomatoes doesn't give a review score, it aggregates the scores of reviews given by others. So, in this case 30 is the percentage of positive (fresh tomatoes) that the movie has gotten. That simply meaning that 30% of reviewers gave it a positive grade. And that'positive' can vary wildly.

For example, say two reviewers use a scale of 1-100. One gives a score of 99 and the other gives a score of 51. In this case both would qualify as 'fresh', but clearly 51 and 99 are wildly different opinions.

So in the case of this movie, the rough negative estimate of the rotten reviews might be that the movie is in reality a 47. Certainly not good, but still there's a better chance you might enjoy a movie that's getting a rough 47 rather than a rough 30. And perhaps the 30 percent that say it's fresh are more positive and their rough score is an 85. Now it's even more likely you may enjoy such a movie.

Basically, RT doesn't review, they aggregate reviews. Two movies with identical RT scores wouldn't necessarily be equal in quality.

Batman vs Superman might be terrible, RT is only saying that 30% of reviewers didn't dislike it more than the 'liked' it. Even if 'liking' it only means a score of 51.

This about right?

Its everything that was wrong with Man of Steel times 10.

I hated Man of Steel.

I will not be seeing this movie.