LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

I get the distinct impression that Snyder has a big old list of his favourite comic book moments, and wants to do them (well, obviously, I guess; why else would you do BvS?) But because he can't just literally bring the whole of DKR to the screen, he's given the writers the impossible job of getting from A to B to C through these cool images, without any real regard for why they ever made sense.

It makes sense for DKR Batman to kill someone at the end, because he's gone off the deep end in revenge for what The Joker's done. Miller even spells out the cardinal rule he's broken in the first episode, so you know it's not just a Burton-style error from screenwriters who don't know what they're doing. And it makes sense that the Government reaction to his actions is to send their pet Kryptonian to bring him in. So Clark actually wants to bring Bruce down, Bruce in turn has reason to teach Clark a lesson, knowing full well he's going to lose in the end.

But none of that character motivation is present in the film - they do the cool thing, without any consideration as to why.

That's Snyder's problem, really. He's never been able to hide his obsession with DKR. He's fawned over it for years... the problem is all the wrong bits seem to have made a lasting impression on him and he is seemingly oblivious to the character motivations elsewhere in the comic.

Further to my comments on the score, Zimmer announced on BBC's Hardtalk that he's done with the superhero genre.

69.1% drop week to week. 4th largest in history for a movie that opened over 100 million. Still at 680 million WW.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

Some competitors say the film may turn a profit but hardly will be the money gusher studios hope for when they pour massive resources into making a giant tentpole with a big star — with a budget in this case said to be in excess of $300 million, and Ben Affleck. "The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel. The audience has communicated, as have the critics." One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable." Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-partJustice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

300 million dollar budget?  :diaz:

Wonder Woman has been pushed up a few weeks as well:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-pushes-jungle-book-881353

Wonder Woman, which will star Gal Gadot (who made her debut in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice), is moving up from June 23, 2017 to June 2, 2017. Warner Bros. also set dates for two of its now-untitled DC films: Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019. An untitled WB event film is slates for Oct. 6, 2017. The latest DC film, Zack Snyder's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, plunged 69 percent in its second weekend, but easily stayed No. 1. It earned $51.3 million in its second weekend for a domestic total of $260.4 million.

This needs added to our contingent of smilies.

3c4FhGZ.png

*looks around*

Are you asking one of us to do this? Because you're the owner FFS.

*looks around*

Are you asking one of us to do this? Because you're the owner FFS.

Cameron usually does it for us, yes.

Oh and....

lHXWok2MQk66MDCPdFCM_Whose%20Line%20Is%2

Will BvS break $800 Million? Currently at 723, my vote is it will not, but it will probably pass deadpool.

:sadfleck:

It will. But read an article today saying the profit will be less then Man of Steel.

$23 Million US this weekend, Global numbers put it around $783, looks like it will cruise past $800 Million. The Jungle Book opens this weekend replacing BvS on IMAX screens.

Saw it with low expectations.  I tried really hard to enjoy it and I did.  I was able to overlook so much.  But eventually I couldn't help but criticize:

-Wait, what's your Mom's name.  No way, that's my mom's name.  Yay, Besties!

-Could Doomsday be more generic?   He was like one of those disposable demons from Voltron.

-Luthor was just weird and terrible

-WTF with the weird dream sequences.  

-Superman wants to keep it civil with Batman, and for no reason gets macho with him.  I mean, at this point Batman is still just a friggin ANT relative to Superman, yet Superman feels the need to shove him?  Antagonize him?  Makes no fucking sense given what he just said to Lois.

-The final talk between Batman and the other character at the end was supposed to be all goosebumpy, inspiring, and exciting for the allusions to the future.  It was just mundane.  Just bad writing.

I enjoyed the first half, and I like this movie way more than Man of Steel.  Maybe that is expectations related.  But wow, such a stark contrast to the Marvel movies.  I could give a shit about the Flash or any forthcoming DC characters in the movie theater.  Aquaman, really?  Screw you.

I saw the movie this weekend with my two sons. Maybe it was because my expectations were low, but I enjoyed it. I agree with most of the criticisms above particularly with the portrayal of Lex Luthor as crazy and all the unnecessary dream sequences.

This needs added to our contingent of smilies.

3c4FhGZ.png

Just saw this. Added!

:sadfleck:  :sadfleck:  :sadfleck:    :Cruise:  :Cruise:  :Cruise:

(Then I realized you already did it)

It's true.

Warner Bros. presentation: Kevin Tsujihara confirms they're working on a stand-alone Batman movie with Ben Affleck. #CinemaCon

There is a WB event going on right now.